PDA

View Full Version : GamePC: Pushing Conroe Further : Intel’s Core 2 Extreme X6800

YeOldeStonecat
08-29-06, 09:21 AM
"Over the last month, we've had the opportunity to take in-depth looks at each of the individual new products released by Intel for their Core 2 Duo processor launch. We started off with the low-end 6300/6400 "Allendale" models, moved our way up to the highly anticipated price/performance champ E6600 model, edging up to the fastest Core 2 Duo model available, the E6700. Now, we're finally taking a look at Intel's new ultra high-end Core 2 based product, the Core 2 Extreme X6800. Be prepared to get out your wallets for this one folks, it's a doozy.

Normally, we wouldn't put so much effort into a single product launch like we've done with Intel's Core 2 lineup. However, we've seen an amazing amount of interest in each of these models in very different ways, and as this is Intel's first major architecture change in half a decade, we feel that the extra coverage has been worth it. Intel has managed to make an attractive product for nearly every price point, and also has managed to tempt overclockers, enthusiasts, and silent PC users over to their side with an excellent mix of price, low-power consumption, low-heat production, and downright excellent performance.

Now that the Core 2 product lineup has been shipping to market for over a month now, we're starting to see the effect they are having on the industry as a whole. Since Core 2 Duo's have become available, we've seen sales of Athlon64 X2 based products plummet dramatically, even with AMD's price drops in effect. This is similar to what we saw in the past, when AMD's Athlon64 X2 processors made Intel's Pentium-D look so un-appealing. Same thing here, just in reverse. Intel also tried to cut prices at the time to make their Pentium-D product more attractive, but it didn't work at the time, as everyone continued to go to AMD. Such is the cyclical nature of the computer industry. Interestingly enough, we've also seen SLI-based systems become less popular, as SLI graphics cards were a popular addition to systems using the combination of an nForce4 SLI chipset and an Athlon64 processor. Now that Intel based processors have become the core component which people are interested in, along with the lack of a decent amount of SLI compatible Core 2 Duo motherboards, SLI doesn't seem to be as prominent as it once was. Perhaps it's just that there are no graphically demanding games out there which really push more than what a single GeForce 7950 GX2 graphics card is capable of.

Enough of this wild tangent, let's focus back on the product you came here to read about today. In the labs, we now have the new Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 product in its final, retail shipping form (i.e, not the engineering samples which everyone else received), so we can take a look at what you, the potential buyer, would receive if you chose to throw down the $1,000+ for this top of the line processor. Let's crack open Intel's black box and see if the product inside is worth the money."

Full article here:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=x6800&page=1

http://www.gamepc.com/images/labs/rev-c2x-boxSM.jpg

YeOldeStonecat
08-29-06, 09:27 AM
Whelp..that did it....I'm caving in and prepping for a new system.
Asus P5WD2-E Premium
e6600 CPU..but by the time I order I might snag an e6700
Sapphire x1900xt video, 512 megger
Seasonic 500 watteer PS
2 gigs of Crucial

Went to order today, and the e6600's seem out of stock in most places, as well as the motherboard. Ugh. Maybe pull the trigger next week.

YARDofSTUF
08-29-06, 09:27 AM
GamePC has your 6600 in stock too, only 100 bucks above the norm lol

Shagster
08-29-06, 09:59 AM
I love my x1900xt, but hate hate hate the ATI drivers.

Izzo
08-29-06, 12:29 PM
Whelp..that did it....I'm caving in and prepping for a new system.
Asus P5WD2-E Premium
e6600 CPU..but by the time I order I might snag an e6700
Sapphire x1900xt video, 512 megger
Seasonic 500 watteer PS
2 gigs of Crucial

Went to order today, and the e6600's seem out of stock in most places, as well as the motherboard. Ugh. Maybe pull the trigger next week.

Not before I do :p

E6600
Gigabyte board
2gb Crucial or GSkill (haven't decided yet)
7900GTX (David's old card)
520w OcZ Modstream PSU

Rivas
08-29-06, 12:41 PM
holy ****,thanks for the article cat
i'm such a bummer i still dont have my motherboard,its gonna be 2nd week!!!!!! :cry:
They do have 20-30 in stock and when i call them they tell me we are sorry sir but those ones were placed before your order :irate:
I would love to see once i have it how fast it will encode compare to this FX62 AMD cpu.I will start encoding both at same time.

Shagster
08-29-06, 01:24 PM
cancel it and next day it from newegg!

YeOldeStonecat
08-29-06, 02:20 PM
Not before I do :p

E6600
Gigabyte board
2gb Crucial or GSkill (haven't decided yet)
7900GTX (David's old card)
520w OcZ Modstream PSU

I can't find my Asus in stock! :cry:

YeOldeStonecat
08-29-06, 03:08 PM
Ordered
Got the e6700

:D

Rivas
08-29-06, 03:53 PM
cancel it and next day it from newegg!

they dont ship to Canada

RoscoPColtrane
08-29-06, 06:57 PM
they dont ship to Canada

wow, didn't know that, what do you do without newegg? :(

YARDofSTUF
08-29-06, 07:01 PM

They wait 25 extra days for crappy service.

Rivas
08-29-06, 08:00 PM

yeah :( sucks
But the core cpus are way cheaper over here but wtf you cant use it without mobo anyway.

Shagster
08-29-06, 10:20 PM
Get it shipped to a SG member and paypal them the money to forward it to you.

Unholy
08-29-06, 10:46 PM

Ordering from Newegg would tear him a new one on customs charges since they only ship with UPS and Fedex.

Sava700
08-29-06, 11:48 PM
This chip looks really sweet.. but I keep kicking myself thinking well should I invest in a new mobo and get this chip with some different ram or should I wait for "Brisbane" to start kicking in December or wait for "4x4" in January to launch and then see what intel trys to come up with to compete... meh its a waiting factor I guess.

Rivas
08-30-06, 02:25 AM
Ordering from Newegg would tear him a new one on customs charges since they only ship with UPS and Fedex.

:nod: + brokerage fees

YARDofSTUF
08-30-06, 04:10 AM
This chip looks really sweet.. but I keep kicking myself thinking well should I invest in a new mobo and get this chip with some different ram or should I wait for "Brisbane" to start kicking in December or wait for "4x4" in January to launch and then see what intel trys to come up with to compete... meh its a waiting factor I guess.

You need to jump on 1 early, which ever you decide. Get the most out of the choice and hopefully the best chance of an OC.

Sava700
08-30-06, 02:56 PM
You need to jump on 1 early, which ever you decide. Get the most out of the choice and hopefully the best chance of an OC.

well I think I'll hold out and see what Brisbane and 4X4 do for AMD.... but once I decide I think I'll do a full new comp build instead of a upgrade.

Rivas
08-30-06, 07:30 PM
Finally :rockin:
Picking it up tomorrow or friday they are just transfering it from their warehouse :D
This was a loooooong waiting time :irate:

Rivas
08-30-06, 07:35 PM

You know what is interesting,when im getting package from fedex i pay only customs charges but when its UPS its customs charges + brokerage fees.And brokerage fee is ALWAYS higher than taxes,i dont understand it.
Last time i ordered some books worth 100usd with UPS and i payed around 17 bucks taxes(customs) but brokerage fee was 50 bucks ...wtf :confused:

Rivas
08-31-06, 06:39 PM
Tomorrow is my day ...w0000000t
They better have it otherwise im canceling my order and going to bellingham just accross the border.Their policy is,you cant cancel order but i will just call my cc explain the situation and i will get it one way or other.
I'm getting really pissed off :mad: