PDA

View Full Version : Monitor loses signal during certain games

Synnyzter
08-28-06, 01:54 PM
I know there are similar posts but I have tried the solutions provided from them so I made a new thread. Anyhow during certain games (not all games) my monitor will randomly go black and say "no signal", also the computer freezes and the speakers will make an annoying buzzing sound. I have to press the reset button to reboot it. I used to have an FX 5200 which also did the same thing so it cant be the vid card. Some of my games do not cause this however which is what has me stumped.

I've tried:

different resolutions and refresh rates, turning on/off V-Sync, underclocking my video card (which is brand new), reinstalling different driver versions also using Driver Cleaner, reinstalling directx 9c, all temps are well within normal operating range, tested PSU with a multi-meter, figured the PSU output compared with my hardware wattage demands (well within range), all fans are operational (I dust pc every month).

My specs are:

MSI KT4AV
FX 5500
2x 512 Kingston PC2700
AMD 2400+
SB Live 5.1 Gamer
Elements 17" LCD

I've tried everything short of reinstalling Windows which is next on the checklist unless I've overlooked something, but as I said earlier i've covered everything from the other posts so I thought maybe someone had some fresh ideas so I tried to be more detailed on the issue. Any new ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

Izzo
08-28-06, 02:49 PM
Hmm...odd. I'd say heat or a bad monitor cable but you said temps are fine and your sound is fooked too. Does your power fluctuate at all ? Since it appears you've done quite a bit I'd eliminate the obvious.....can you swap motherboards and have your run memtest at all?

Synnyzter
08-28-06, 03:15 PM
Hmm...odd. I'd say heat or a bad monitor cable but you said temps are fine and your sound is fooked too. Does your power fluctuate at all ? Since it appears you've done quite a bit I'd eliminate the obvious.....can you swap motherboards and have your run memtest at all?

Ahh memtest, good call I haven't thought of that. Although it hasn't crossed my mind because some 3d games do not cause this. The output from the PSU is steady and within +- 1% so it's spot-on. I have not tried another mobo because I really don't think it's the issue, if it was faulty I think I would notice other issues. I do have other boards but that's the last resort, I'd rather not tear it apart unless I have to lol. I'll try a fresh install of Windows first. I just can't comprehend why some games work and some cause this, I'm wondering if it isn't some 3d software issue with certain games, I don't code games so I don't know lol. Anyhow thnks for the effort, I'll do memtest asap and let ya know what went down.

Izzo
08-28-06, 03:32 PM
Ahh memtest, good call I haven't thought of that. Although it hasn't crossed my mind because some 3d games do not cause this. The output from the PSU is steady and within +- 1% so it's spot-on. I have not tried another mobo because I really don't think it's the issue, if it was faulty I think I would notice other issues. I do have other boards but that's the last resort, I'd rather not tear it apart unless I have to lol. I'll try a fresh install of Windows first. I just can't comprehend why some games work and some cause this, I'm wondering if it isn't some 3d software issue with certain games, I don't code games so I don't know lol. Anyhow thnks for the effort, I'll do memtest asap and let ya know what went down.

could try running them in directx7 if possible.

Synnyzter
08-28-06, 05:47 PM
could try running them in directx7 if possible.

They are newer games, I know the one I do play online for a monthly fee requires Version 9. I'm about to rip my hair out though, I think I'm going to research the games and their engines and see if there are any similarities between them, if there is that will certainly narrow things down. The ram test came out fine btw. I'm betting it's software related between the games and maybe a fubar'd Windows install. It is about time for a format anyhow, you can only "clean" it so much before it takes a crap ya know...

Izzo
08-28-06, 05:58 PM
They are newer games, I know the one I do play online for a monthly fee requires Version 9. I'm about to rip my hair out though, I think I'm going to research the games and their engines and see if there are any similarities between them, if there is that will certainly narrow things down. The ram test came out fine btw. I'm betting it's software related between the games and maybe a fubar'd Windows install. It is about time for a format anyhow, you can only "clean" it so much before it takes a crap ya know...

tru dat