PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Secondary IDE channel

mkspeed600
08-13-06, 11:15 AM
I have a DVD-ROM and a CD Burner on my secondary IDE slave/master configuration. When I have both of them plugged in none of the drives are recognized by Windows but if I only run one drive on the channel as a master it works. All the jumpers on the drive units itslelf are correct. It sounds to me as if the drives are conflicting with each other. Any suggestions would be helpfull. Thanks!

mnosteele52
08-13-06, 11:21 AM
Try setting the jumpers to cable select and see if they are recognized.

:)

mkspeed600
08-13-06, 11:31 AM
I changed the jumpers to CS and it still does not work. When booting up the BIOS doesn't see the drives and either does windows. If I start by plugging on one drive with master boot up it sees the drive and works. THen when I plug in the second drive as slave it works. The catch is, 10 min later my computer becomes very sluggish the mouse locks up and the cpu says it is being used (40%) and the drives disappear.

mkspeed600
08-13-06, 03:11 PM
I will be moving my mouse around in the idle state and there is 50% cpy usage now. How do I figure out what is using that much? I know that isn't right.

YARDofSTUF
08-13-06, 03:18 PM
Are you looking in task manager? Hit the process tab and it will tell you which process it is.

mkspeed600
08-13-06, 03:31 PM
I was looking in the task manager and i saw some process but nothing unusual. I closed out a few of the big ones and it had no change. It only locks up and sluggish with lots of CPU usage when my cd roms drives disappear from my computer and device manager. Now when I start up the bios doesn't recognize they are even plugged in.

mnosteele52
08-13-06, 06:33 PM
What cd burning software do you have installed?

:)