PDA

View Full Version : Uh, yeah, get a Conroe NOW.

Brk
08-11-06, 11:28 AM
This thing is utter rapage. E6600, ASUS P52 and OCZ DDR2.

loop2kil
08-11-06, 01:20 PM
plan too very soon...might let another mb revision come out before jumping though. I think im gonna completely redo my whole setup so i need more funds so that i can make a completely silent pc this time around.

YARDofSTUF
08-11-06, 01:49 PM
I wish they had more varieties of motherboards. Keep hoping to see or hear somethign about Intel and Nvidia agreeing on a chipset.

Izzo
08-11-06, 03:45 PM
209.00 for the e6300 at micro center... I almost bought one today but i'd have to wait another month for a board/RAM/Card and PSU

Shagster
08-11-06, 06:35 PM
I have my e6300. Upgraded from a p4 640. The difference is extremely noticeable.

Did some before and after bendhies. 3dmark05 jumped from 7500 to 10,500. Still haven't overclocked it yet. Everyone is hitting 400fsb easy with the 6300.

Rivas
08-11-06, 07:55 PM
I ordered the EE one,Asus mobo,new speakers just 5.1 ,dell monitor and SB EX-Fi Elite pro.Still waiting :(

Sava700
08-12-06, 01:05 AM
I'll wait to see what AMD drops out here in the comming months to compete with the Flagship chip of conroe.. I don't see AMD staying down too long..let the war begin!

Rivas
08-12-06, 01:10 AM
I don't see AMD staying down too long..let the war begin!

I agree,but i think it may be longer then a few months.
Lets wait and see.
If AMD brings something new i hope i dont need to buy new mobo again lol i changed 3 motherboards in last 5 months.
But i think im covered for maybe 6 months,one conroe and 2nd one FX62.

YARDofSTUF
08-12-06, 01:34 AM
I'll wait to see what AMD drops out here in the comming months to compete with the Flagship chip of conroe.. I don't see AMD staying down too long..let the war begin!

What do they have coming out? Nothing on their road map is planned to be out before their quad core which gets released around the time when intel releases theirs and thats at the end of the year.

Rivas
08-14-06, 02:46 PM
I'm kinda pissed,i received all components including motherboard but the conroe EE is still out of stock and its gonna be available in september.I think im gonna cancel my order for cpu and look somewhere else.WHo does ship to canada from usa ?I went throught few stores and they dont ship over here :(

YARDofSTUF
08-14-06, 03:27 PM
Looking at www.gamepc.com it seems they do international shipping. They are probably the most expensive store though.

Sava700
08-14-06, 04:29 PM
Get someone to purchase it here in the US and then ship it to you in Canada LOL

Leatherneck
08-16-06, 09:31 AM
Geez, I've never seen notepad open that fast!

loop2kil
08-16-06, 09:52 AM
wait till you see what it does for solitaire.

Sava700
08-16-06, 05:28 PM
be patient before buying.. AMD is soon to release the K8's then 4X4!

again I say let the war begin :thumb:

Unholy
08-16-06, 08:07 PM

Thought K8's are dead and it's AM2 now.

Izzo
08-16-06, 08:46 PM

I'm going Conroe in about 3 weeks.

YARDofSTUF
08-17-06, 12:11 AM

WHEN!

Dude you keep saying soon, but AMD's website says its quad core cpu is coming out in 2007.

Thee only thing they have listed to come out by november of this year are vitualization support and some power feature.

So what is it they have? Odds are its a hope, guess or dream, but I see no chip displayed, I see no reviews of some unreleased chip that can dominate the conroes, all I see are die hard AMD fanboys crying.

Show some proof.

Sava700
08-17-06, 12:24 AM
WHEN!

Dude you keep saying soon, but AMD's website says its quad core cpu is coming out in 2007.

Thee only thing they have listed to come out by november of this year are vitualization support and some power feature.

So what is it they have? Odds are its a hope, guess or dream, but I see no chip displayed, I see no reviews of some unreleased chip that can dominate the conroes, all I see are die hard AMD fanboys crying.

Show some proof.

I'm with ya on the proof ...only thing I can go by is what i'm reading on the reviews from AMD vs the intel conroe line... most places doing these reviews state to watch and see how AMD reacts mostly from the 4X4 they are going to release but no idea as a time frame. If the time comes for me to build another system then I'll go with whats on top which is that Conroe extreme chip otherwise if the time table is close i'll wait for the 4X4 to release and give it a shot which is Two Dual Core AMD chips on one mobo or right on top of each other from what I'm understanding.

Shagster
08-17-06, 12:47 AM
People are just having seizures about intel taking the lead after amd was leading the pack so long. They are both good companies, they both trade places, have been for YEARS :)

amd's reaction = extreme price drops....thats it.

There is a good chance intels quad core will be out before amd's.

Like Burke says....buy a conroe...I love mine...HUGE upgrade.

David
08-17-06, 06:52 AM
WHEN!

Show some proof.

What was the Intel answer to the dual core AMDs? The conroe came out as a bit of a surprise to many. Not that it all matters, since we all benefit.

I will stay pat for now and hitch my wagon to the quad cores when they become available.

Izzo
08-17-06, 08:52 AM
What was the Intel answer to the dual core AMDs? The conroe came out as a bit of a surprise to many. Not that it all matters, since we all benefit.

I will stay pat for now and hitch my wagon to the quad cores when they become available.

My X2 4400 got fried....It just doesn't make any sense at this point to buy anything else. A 939 or AM2 ..um I don't think so when I can get something that benches better for just as much if not cheaper.

Still got that GTX ?

David
08-17-06, 11:26 AM
My X2 4400 got fried....It just doesn't make any sense at this point to buy anything else. A 939 or AM2 ..um I don't think so when I can get something that benches better for just as much if not cheaper.

Still got that GTX ?

OUCH!

Yes, I still have it.

YARDofSTUF
08-17-06, 12:02 PM
What was the Intel answer to the dual core AMDs?

Half assed intel dual cores, and it looked like they tried to fix it with the 900 series dual cores, like thats kinda how they wiould have released them if there was no competition pushing them forward. And still it wasnt enough, kinda wonder if they had this conroe chip just sitting around waiting for AMD to make a big dominant move.

Izzo
08-17-06, 12:15 PM
OUCH!

Yes, I still have it.

Ya big ouch...surge took out my motherboard,CPU and PSU....it spared my RAM/Vid card and sound card.

I will purchase it about the first week of September if you still have it then.

David
08-17-06, 12:38 PM
Half assed intel dual cores, and it looked like they tried to fix it with the 900 series dual cores, like thats kinda how they wiould have released them if there was no competition pushing them forward. And still it wasnt enough, kinda wonder if they had this conroe chip just sitting around waiting for AMD to make a big dominant move.

From what I understand, they had nothing until some rediscovered and retooled the P3.

David
08-17-06, 12:39 PM
Ya big ouch...surge took out my motherboard,CPU and PSU....it spared my RAM/Vid card and sound card.

I will purchase it about the first week of September if you still have it then.

Let me know.

YARDofSTUF
08-17-06, 12:42 PM
From what I understand, they had nothing until some rediscovered and retooled the P3.

Well, I certainly hope AMD doesnt try to retool the tbirds LOL

Izzo
08-17-06, 02:22 PM
Let me know.

Ok, I'll send a cashiers check 9/8/06

Rivas
08-19-06, 03:35 PM
I got everything exept the motherboard :cry:
Seems like its gonna be available thursday next week.
+ Asus is shipping them with old bios so you have to have old pentium D around to update it (so it can support conroe) or call asus.But the store where im buying it at are updating the bios for free.Talking about P5W DH Deluxe mobo.Once i have it all i will post pics of my chassis with desktop.Btw the monitor is really nice,lil bit big for my taste but havent had chance use him yet .Still waiting .... :( So now on im wasting time playing xbox after work :D

Shagster
08-20-06, 12:28 AM
Finished messing with my e6300. I'll be running it at 320fsb (2.24ghz) til the end of its life. It was able to go up to 350 stable with near stock voltage.

I do wish I got the e6400 instead. However, when I bought the e6300 the prices were still enormous compared to what they are now, The e6300 was selling for what the e6400 was rumored to be selling for. So if you haven't gotten one yet, trust me and go for the e6400 at least, for overclocking purposes (if they apply to you).

I tried both the gigabyte ds3 and asus p5b board. The gigabyte was fine but it would not let me control the vdimm and was running my 1.9v ram at 2.1v which I wasn't cool with since this isn't high end ram.

The asus p5b is a great board! Never seen bios like this, I think they are awsome!

Both are budget boards. The ds3 has more hype, but my vote goes for the p5b.

YARDofSTUF
08-20-06, 01:08 AM
I might get the chance to tinker with one of these, if so it'd be a 6300, but no OCing since it wont be mine. But just wait till those quad cores hit! I'm jumping on that!

Shagster
08-20-06, 01:24 AM
I might get the chance to tinker with one of these, if so it'd be a 6300, but no OCing since it wont be mine. But just wait till those quad cores hit! I'm jumping on that!

I'm seeing modders jumping on the 8core server chips hitting summer of '07 like they did with the opteron, I might join that band wagon.

David
08-22-06, 11:32 PM
But just wait till those quad cores hit! I'm jumping on that!

You will be in good company.

Synnyzter
08-28-06, 02:26 PM
You're forgetting that not only is the Conroe insanly fast but it runs rediculously cool. It just doesn't need to be liquid cooled. MaxPC ran Nero Recode with both cores at 100% for hours with a zalman sink with the fan UNLPUGGED and it only rose 3 degrees Celcius. I'd say it's thermal capabilities are noteworthy alone.

Izzo
08-28-06, 02:45 PM
You're forgetting that not only is the Conroe insanly fast but it runs rediculously cool. It just doesn't need to be liquid cooled. MaxPC ran Nero Recode with both cores at 100% for hours with a zalman sink with the fan UNLPUGGED and it only rose 3 degrees Celcius. I'd say it's thermal capabilities are noteworthy alone.

Yep...another benefit. I'll be ordering my chip and mobo next week :rockin:

Synnyzter
08-28-06, 02:56 PM
I want one :(

Izzo
08-28-06, 03:32 PM
I want one :(

Get a E6300.

Synnyzter
08-28-06, 05:55 PM
Oh I'll get one for sure, just bought a new truck so I must be patient. Besides I'm not quite prepared to make the switch from AMD just yet. It was hard enough dropping my Chevy Blazer for a <gulp> Ford Explorer. Not sure if my heart can handle all of this at once. I'm one of those people who sticks to his roots lol. I may wait it out and see what AMD has up it's sleeve, at worst the Conroe may drop a few bucks by then ;)

Rivas
09-08-06, 02:36 AM
Oh I'll get one for sure, just bought a new truck so I must be patient. Besides I'm not quite prepared to make the switch from AMD just yet. It was hard enough dropping my Chevy Blazer for a <gulp> Ford Explorer. Not sure if my heart can handle all of this at once. I'm one of those people who sticks to his roots lol. I may wait it out and see what AMD has up it's sleeve, at worst the Conroe may drop a few bucks by then ;)
Dont think it will drop anytime soon.
AMD has nothing at this moment,they had AM2 so if you wanna stay with AMD get FX62 but even Conroe E6300 will beat that chip.

Massa
09-08-06, 10:21 PM
I just installed an E6600, 7900GT and the Asus P5W motherboard, very very fast setup.

Mark
09-08-06, 10:30 PM
I just installed an E6600, 7900GT and the Asus P5W motherboard, very very fast setup.

noted :)

Izzo
09-13-06, 03:28 PM
My RAM is on teh way..woot

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

My Conroe rig will be fully operational this weekend :thumb:

YARDofSTUF
09-13-06, 03:48 PM
Good choice on RAM :thumb:

Izzo
09-13-06, 03:53 PM
Good choice on RAM :thumb:

:rockin:

I even went with overnight mail.....:rockin: :rockin:

Izzo
09-22-06, 05:07 PM
New RAM works :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

YARDofSTUF
09-22-06, 05:18 PM
:rockin:

Mark
09-22-06, 05:24 PM
New RAM works :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

nice

Rivas
09-22-06, 05:59 PM
sweet :rockin: :thumb:

Izzo
09-23-06, 12:17 AM
:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

I'm tired.... everything look normal lol ??

http://members.speedguide.net/izzo/conroe.bmp.jpg

YARDofSTUF
09-23-06, 01:06 AM
Looks normal to me.

Rivas
09-23-06, 04:15 AM
Almost identical :thumb:

http://www3.telus.net/erik/Clip.jpg

Izzo
09-23-06, 09:39 AM
:D :D :D
:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

YeOldeStonecat
09-23-06, 10:57 AM
:D :D :D

Start bumping it up now...OC time. :nod:

Izzo
09-23-06, 10:58 AM
Start bumping it up now...OC time. :nod:

I'd need some guidance in the process....I haven't checked temps on these things yet but it seems to be running a bit hot....anyway I'm still installing some shtuff.....

Rivas
09-23-06, 11:06 AM
I'd need some guidance in the process....I haven't checked temps on these things yet but it seems to be running a bit hot....anyway I'm still installing some shtuff.....

I know the pain hehe
I dont mind installing the OS but i hate installing all the drivers for devices and so on.But after i'm done w000000000000t.
What are your temperatures ?

Izzo
09-23-06, 11:07 AM
I know the pain hehe
I dont mind installing the OS but i hate installing all the drivers for devices and so on.But after i'm done w000000000000t.
What are your temperatures ?

it's running 36 idle

Rivas
09-23-06, 11:11 AM
it's running 38 idle

And thats hot ?
Thats Awesome !
My ex Smithfield was running 67-71 degree celsia idle and 80-85 full load.That was also one of the reasons why i started water cooling it.

Izzo
09-23-06, 11:14 AM
And thats hot ?
Thats Awesome !
My ex Smithfield was running 67-71 degree celsia idle and 80-85 full load.That was also one of the reasons why i started water cooling it.

My AMD wouldn't see 38 ....ever... guess I gotta remember intel runs a bit hotter...

Rivas
09-23-06, 11:23 AM
Forgot to add it was really scary i called intel and they said its normal, next day i called them again because i broke the intel fan lol,so i went to store and bought different one, and same day i received new intel fan :rolleyes:
I have always problems clicking it in because i'm scared i'll break something and when i was putting it in one of the plastic "legs" broke.Glad i have the TT Symphony its so easy to install.

But Cat is right once you are done start OCing it.Then run super_pi i wanna see the difference.You shouldnt be so behind, you got nice setup :thumb:

YeOldeStonecat
09-23-06, 11:33 AM
it's running 36 idle

All that counts is max temp under 100% load for a sustained period of time. Intel shot low with the max rated temp of these, I believe it's 65c. As long as you stay below the max rated threshhold...you're fine.

I bounce from 53-55 with prolonged Folding, 20% overclock.

YARDofSTUF
10-27-06, 03:34 AM

Hey here comes your 4x4, are you still excited about it? :rotfl:

Jamie_R
10-27-06, 04:46 AM
puttin' mine in today :D :thumb:

Izzo
10-27-06, 08:49 AM

WHAT!!!...you've had that thing for a day and it's not installed yet?

Rivas
10-27-06, 12:04 PM

:thumb: :D

Jamie_R
10-27-06, 12:33 PM
WHAT!!!...you've had that thing for a day and it's not installed yet?

yeah, it was pretty rough :D

loading xp now ...

Rivas
10-27-06, 01:44 PM
yeah, it was pretty rough :D

loading xp now ...

:thumb:

Dont forget OC it little bit.
Dont use the Ai booster or Bios automatic OC.

Jamie_R
10-27-06, 02:14 PM
:thumb:

Dont forget OC it little bit.
Dont use the Ai booster or Bios automatic OC.

I haven't ever o/c'ed b4 ... got any good linx?

YARDofSTUF
10-27-06, 02:22 PM

Linx as in the Atari Linx? that wont help you OC at all.

You basically just look in the motherborad manual and find the option that will lower it below spec by using a different ratio/divder and then begin increasing for fsb my 3 or 5 mhz and then boot and see if its all stable, play a game and do some work, then go in and up it 3 or 5 more and continue until the PC has a problem and then increase the voltage a bit to see if you can go higher.

It'd be a lengthy process for a beginner to get use to it. You then also want to make sure your OC is good enough that when ur done the new higher fsb + ram divider brings your ram up to is defualt speed, or around it.

Rivas
10-27-06, 02:47 PM

No links sorry, increase FSB by 5 and multi by 1.
Restart, if the voltage is low its not gonna boot and you have to reset cmos and increase voltage.(thats how it is on my motherboard)Do 1 step at a time and see.Watch out for temps.
The best way to see if its stable is run 3D MArk 2006 twice, if the voltage is too low it will freez on cpu test or restart computer.3D mark2k6 is the fastest way to see if everything is like it should be.