PDA

View Full Version : New Headphone help

Sava700
08-10-06, 04:27 PM
Ok I've got me a new set of headphones and its USB hookup, My last set was your standard audio connectors one for both mic and speakers. Its Plug and Play but when I'm running in to now is if I want to play say Winamp through the speakers I have to into its options to configure it, same with Ventrillo etc.. Nero DVD doesn't have this option so I'm stuck for the damn audio going through the headphones. I just want everything to go through both at the same time like it was...and also my next question that even though my onboard sound is disabled in the Bios is the USB port still pulling the feed from the Audio card I have in it..I think yeah but just making sure.

Sava700
08-15-06, 05:40 PM
anyone? lol

A_old
08-15-06, 08:59 PM
AFAIK you can't run sound through more than one card at a time, in windows. that's effectively what your usb headset is, a USB soundcard w/ headphones strapped on it

A_old
08-15-06, 09:00 PM
if u unplug the headset, winblows will set the snd to come thru ur onboard soundcard or whatever other sound card u have (audigy, for example)..when u plug em back in, usually it'll set it back to the headphones again..so just unplug/plug.

Sava700
08-16-06, 12:06 AM
Well what I want to make sure is that the sound being produced at either end is comming from the sound card and not the mobo.. I have onboard disabled so I'm assuming its only from the sound card...

Sava700
08-19-06, 01:56 PM
Final question... does the sound being produced period comming from the Sound card which is then piped right up to the USB ports? I just want to make sure i'm not stressing anything else when the Sound card is supposed to be doing all the work.

downhill
08-19-06, 02:14 PM
If your using USB, your device, (in this instance, your phones) should have come with software that takes care of this. I would guess that if your headphones are working through the USB port, that indeed your not using your soundcard.

Sava700
08-20-06, 06:53 PM
If your using USB, your device, (in this instance, your phones) should have come with software that takes care of this. I would guess that if your headphones are working through the USB port, that indeed your not using your soundcard.

how do I hook the headphones up to go through the sound card then? The card has no USB hookup.. is there a cable to convert it to digital hookup through the back?

downhill
08-20-06, 07:09 PM
how do I hook the headphones up to go through the sound card then? The card has no USB hookup.. is there a cable to convert it to digital hookup through the back?

Sava...how about a link to these phones?

I'm guessing they must have a breakout box or something?

Sava700
08-21-06, 12:01 AM
Sava...how about a link to these phones?

I'm guessing they must have a breakout box or something?

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/gaming/products/pro1/index.jhtml

downhill
08-21-06, 04:50 AM
Ok I see how it works now. It's USB only. The firewire takes the digital out to that little doodad in the cable that has a Digital to Audio Converter.

There isn't another way to hook them phones up. USB is it.

What you might do if your handy and don't mind voiding any warranty, is to open up the cable and add a jack and a plug. You'll just have to figure out which wire goes where.

Sava700
08-21-06, 07:52 AM
Ok I see how it works now. It's USB only. The firewire takes the digital out to that little doodad in the cable that has a Digital to Audio Converter.

There isn't another way to hook them phones up. USB is it.

What you might do if your handy and don't mind voiding any warranty, is to open up the cable and add a jack and a plug. You'll just have to figure out which wire goes where.

Perhaps their is a Audio card I can get to run USB headphones then... I'd hate to have to start soldering on the thing lol ..but alot better card than what I have...cause thing I'm concerned is that i'm losing sound performance from the USB instead of getting what I need from the sound card. Or as I said before a cable conversion from USB to A single Digital plug

downhill
08-21-06, 08:39 AM
Sava, I have no idea how good that particular setup is. I can say this much.

From what I'm reading, there is a lot of interest in the audiophile market for a computer based system. Load all your music on as wav, flac or monkey audio files and then instead of using the digital out on the card, they use the USB out to a USB DAC. Either that or a Squeezebox which then sends the signal out to their equipment via wireless.

There are a lot of advantages to using USB over the PCI bus.

As to sound with your setup, it's depending on two things as far as I can tell.

1. The quality of your DAC in that little thing-a-muh-jig in the cable.

2. The quality of your headphones.

Instead of spending a wad on another souindcard..why not just buy a set of phones for listening to music? My puter speakers have a headphone mini jack.

Sava700
08-21-06, 09:11 AM
the phones/mic is for my BF2 and Ventrillo playing.. I don't want to lose any sound of the game is what I'm worried about.. I hardly play with my regular speakers unless ole lady isn't here watchin TV lol

downhill
08-21-06, 09:14 AM
the phones/mic is for my BF2 and Ventrillo playing.. I don't want to lose any sound of the game is what I'm worried about.. I hardly play with my regular speakers unless ole lady isn't here watchin TV lol

Think of it this way. You should be able to keep your soundcard working and use that USB device. Two different things.

Your USB port has tons of bandwidth for those phones.

Sava700
08-21-06, 10:28 AM
Think of it this way. You should be able to keep your soundcard working and use that USB device.

yeah they both already work fine.. I just have to tell the software what to use sometimes..but some things don't give a choice they just go off what windows sets as a default so Ive found that I have to change that sometimes too depending on what I use... IE BF2 uses default from windows.