PDA

View Full Version : I/O Device Error

Joint Chiefs of Staff
08-04-06, 02:02 AM
I have a 40GB FireLite that has recently failed. It's a USB 2.0 external drive. When I initially plugged in the USB to my laptop/server/or other laptops it said something along the lines of I/O device error....blah blah blah. I still get connection/disconnect sound when I plug in the USB drive but in Disk Management/Windows Explorer....it's not recognized.

I've loaded a few recovery software programs to try and recover the data on the drive (very important) but the drive will not show up on these software programs as well which means I can't recover the info.

I've yet to encountered a drive that failed that contains my important docs etc. So, what can I do?

TIA

Joint Chiefs of Staff
08-04-06, 02:09 AM
Also note that this has happened to my 2GB flash drive last week. All other drives (internal/external) and thumb drives are working just fine.

Unholy
08-04-06, 04:36 AM
Do you one of them IDE to USB cable like so (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156101)? Tried taking the drive out of the enclosure and sticking it in a laptop? Maybe the enclosure is bad.

Joint Chiefs of Staff
08-04-06, 09:34 AM
Tried taking the drive out of the enclosure and sticking it in a laptop? Maybe the enclosure is bad.
Yeah did that in two of my laptops. Nothing. Drive is not recognized. Tried safe mode as well.

knightmare
08-05-06, 03:31 PM
take the drive out of the enclosure, add it as a second harddrive to another computer--(desktop from someone, work, etc..)

Hit/open up the drive letter, F: or which ever one correspondes.

See if it will open up.

also check/watch your laptop usb ports. Sometimes putting a thick flash drive next to another plugged in device will slightly bend the usb port,
especially if you tend to reach around the laptop, and plug devices in, from an angle.

mnosteele52
08-05-06, 08:50 PM
take the drive out of the enclosure, add it as a second harddrive to another computer--(desktop from someone, work, etc..)

Hit/open up the drive letter, F: or which ever one correspondes.

See if it will open up.

also check/watch your laptop usb ports. Sometimes putting a thick flash drive next to another plugged in device will slightly bend the usb port,
especially if you tend to reach around the laptop, and plug devices in, from an angle.

Excellent idea, if it isn't recognized I would try Hiren's Boot CD (PM me if you need a link) and boot to the cd, on the cd it has multiple data recovery programs, I have always had excellent results using it.

:)

Joint Chiefs of Staff
08-05-06, 11:07 PM
Excellent idea, if it isn't recognized I would try Hiren's Boot CD (PM me if you need a link) and boot to the cd, on the cd it has multiple data recovery programs, I have always had excellent results using it.

Link request please! Thanks man!

mnosteele52
08-05-06, 11:19 PM
PM sent.

:D :thumb:

Joint Chiefs of Staff
08-05-06, 11:26 PM
PM sent.

:D :thumb:
Thanks a million!

YeOldeStonecat
08-06-06, 07:22 AM
Link request please! Thanks man!

Google baby..Google! Or do they block Google over there! :p

Joint Chiefs of Staff
08-06-06, 10:26 AM
Google baby..Google! Or do they block Google over there! :p
Yeah but it's quicker when dealing with block sites with every click of the mouse. :irate:

Joint Chiefs of Staff
08-07-06, 06:51 AM

Not one of the recovery/HD tools worked for me. It picked up all internal, external and flash drives but not the ones I needed to recover. My guess is that they are just too far gone. :(

mnosteele52
08-07-06, 07:13 AM
Man, sorry to hear that. It must be bad if none of those programs picked it they are some of the best programs out there.:(

On the bright side, you now have Hiren's BootCD wich is an awesome tool.:)

Joint Chiefs of Staff
08-07-06, 10:21 AM
Man, sorry to hear that. It must be bad if none of those programs picked it they are some of the best programs out there.:(

On the bright side, you now have Hiren's BootCD wich is an awesome tool.:)
Yeah, it must have been bad. The only thing I can pinpoint how the issue started is my workstation PC. They were my mobile drives between work and home. Must have had a spike or something to toast them like that.

And yes, this CD is outstanding to say the least! :cool:

Unholy
08-07-06, 12:11 PM
You can try the freezer trick. :rotfl: But that might not be a good idea with a laptop or enclosure with the condensation and all.