PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Help Needed Asap!

tHE_0ne
07-30-06, 08:41 PM
My main rig is down, I found this 700mhz cpu im on now in my closet :(

I was in windows 1hr ago and I my SATA HD kept on stopping and spinning so I turned off my computer and checked my wires and even switched them with new SATA wires (they seemed loose) now my computer doesnt boot into windows, I tried reseting my BIOS settings, still nothing. It enters windows xp screen and acts like its going to boot up, but once it goes into xp my computer RESTARTS, very weird. I tried switching my SATA onboard to 1 / 2 , still cant go into windows.

My windows is on my ATA133 harddrive and SATA is just a backup for games/movies/etc... I removed it and still I cant go into windows, please help anyone!

Tyler

tHE_0ne
07-30-06, 08:44 PM
http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=201954

thats what happen before

Unholy
07-30-06, 09:37 PM
Try to boot up in Safe Mode without the SATA drive plugged in. If that doesn't work I guess you can always reformat. Do you have SMART monitoring turned on in the bios?

tHE_0ne
07-30-06, 10:50 PM
Try to boot up in Safe Mode without the SATA drive plugged in. If that doesn't work I guess you can always reformat. Do you have SMART monitoring turned on in the bios?

not sure if I do ill check that, Ill try the safe mode thing
if it is on, should I turn it off?

Unholy
07-30-06, 11:25 PM
SMART should be on incase something is wrong with your hard drive sometimes it will tell you.

YARDofSTUF
07-30-06, 11:27 PM
Im guessing PSU but not sure. He has an Aspire.

tHE_0ne
08-03-06, 04:10 PM
Im guessing PSU but not sure. He has an Aspire.

I got a new PSU from newegg no luck!

-new psu
-reset agp slot/ram
-turned smart on
-in bios set my SATA controller to auto - enabled

when I boot it shows my sata hd "channel master #1", but under boot device, my sata hd doesnt show up, only like floppy/cd rom/ide hd

tHE_0ne
08-03-06, 05:34 PM
smart saids my hd is good, im out of luck :(

koldchillah
08-03-06, 06:59 PM
Can you get into safe mode? If so, right-click my computer, select properties. On the Advanced tab, go into the Startup & Recovery settings and uncheck the box labeled "Automatically restart" under the system failure options.

If you can make it into safe mode to turn off that setting, on the next reboot you should at least get a blue screen error with a code that could help troubleshoot the problem a little better.

Unholy
08-03-06, 07:35 PM
Have you updated your mobo's bios to the newest one? You could also try this Drive Fitness Test (http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm) software from Hitachi. If that doesn't work I would say that something is wrong with either your mobo or drive. I would lean more towards the hard drive though.

tHE_0ne
08-04-06, 05:07 PM
Can you get into safe mode? If so, right-click my computer, select properties. On the Advanced tab, go into the Startup & Recovery settings and uncheck the box labeled "Automatically restart" under the system failure options.

If you can make it into safe mode to turn off that setting, on the next reboot you should at least get a blue screen error with a code that could help troubleshoot the problem a little better.

I does the same thing trying to get into safe mode, before I go into windows (a second before you see the mouse pointer) it reboots :(

tHE_0ne
08-04-06, 05:26 PM
I tried repairing windows, didnt work, it took me to a C:/ in dos, and I tried a Auto Repair thing, but it asked for a floppy which I dont have

tHE_0ne
08-05-06, 06:57 PM
anyone? :(

tHE_0ne
08-07-06, 06:19 PM
today I tried:

-Switch ram out again with new ram
-Reset CMOS

I go into windows setup, and it lists my partons for my C:\ IDE drive, and It wants me to reformat, there isnt any repair option. I tried this on XP SP1/SP2 cd's, maybe a bad sector on my hard drive?

I dont want to reformat, I will loose a ton of important fileso on my hard drive :(

CableDude
08-07-06, 09:06 PM
Who is the HD manufacturer?

mnosteele52
08-07-06, 09:26 PM
Slave the drive in another pc that runs fine and backup your data and reformat.

:)

koldchillah
08-07-06, 09:58 PM
too bad no custom boot CD.. If you could get access to the registry you could change the key that specifies "automatic restart" on system failure.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

change AutoReboot DWORD to 0 instead of 1.

Otherwise, looks like you might as well go with mnosteele52's suggestion.

tHE_0ne
08-08-06, 12:34 AM
How can I get one of these boot cds? thanks for all the help

tHE_0ne
08-08-06, 09:50 AM
Who is the HD manufacturer?

Western Dig

YARDofSTUF
08-08-06, 10:23 AM
http://www.download.com/Ultimate-Boot-CD/3000-2086-10550208.html?part=dl-UltimateB&subj=dl&tag=button

tHE_0ne
08-19-06, 07:36 PM
too bad no custom boot CD.. If you could get access to the registry you could change the key that specifies "automatic restart" on system failure.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

change AutoReboot DWORD to 0 instead of 1.

Otherwise, looks like you might as well go with mnosteele52's suggestion.

woohoo, when booting XP this also works with F8 key.... Im into windows again

but under my computer I cant see my SATA hard drive :( argg, hehe YOS help me! :)