PDA

View Full Version : Soundcard rants...

downhill
07-22-06, 01:16 PM
Why is it so hard to find a soundcard that will do what you would like it to do?

Part of the problem is of course, kmixer that Windows uses. The other problem imho is Creative's lock on the soundcard market. Don't know about their latest cards but pretty much of them, upsample. :mad: Other card manufactures follow suit so they are compatible with games that Creative also has a lock on.

My needs are really pretty simple since I don't play games. Give me a card that can pass a DTS signal without any kind of DSP. Period. Also one that isn't a day and a half headache to get ASIO drivers to work right.

My last card is suppose to be able to pass a DTS signal. It won't. It's supposed to be able to record at 24 bit 96 kHz. It won't. So back to the drawing board.

I just spent what I consider, an obscene amout of money for a new card. Without naming it, it's supposed to do all the above but probably sucks for gaming since it's a dedicated music card. For the life of me, I can't get digital out to work.

One more. Digital out needs to be coax and not optical.

*sigh*

YARDofSTUF
07-22-06, 01:31 PM
Part of the reason I use onboard is because onboard has gotten so much better.

The other part is because of Creative's lock, and lack of "creative" products.

I really thought Voyetra would have jumped on their stale product line.

CableDude
07-22-06, 06:07 PM
You had me at kmixer....

A_old
07-22-06, 06:34 PM
i use my via envy onboard as i have no pci slot..and even if they made a pcie creative card, my vid vf900 blocks the slot :(

Shagster
07-22-06, 06:43 PM
I've been using my soundblaster live 24bit forever. It pays to be hard of hearing :thumb:

YARDofSTUF
07-22-06, 07:41 PM
Best card I've had:

http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hardware/gametheaterxp/index.shtml

downhill
07-22-06, 07:59 PM
The Santa Cruz card gets good reviews. It still doesn't suit my needs.

Best card I've had so far was an AudioTrak Prodigy LT. It did everything I needed it to do including ASIO drivers that worked like a champ and it passed a DTS signal with flying colors. It would record at 24 bit 96 kHz no problem. Great for gaming and for movies. (So the reviews go.)

After a month, it went face up. The only place I could find it at the time was as a refurb from NewEgg. Referb means screwed......

The card isn't avalible as far as I know, anymore.
AudioTrak makes a 192 card but it gets crappy reviews.

YARDofSTUF
07-22-06, 08:11 PM
Downhill, what about the Auzentech Xplosion?

Mark
07-22-06, 08:28 PM
i have a TBSC card just sitting in a box, if it will work for ya let me know.

downhill
07-22-06, 08:29 PM
Downhill, what about the Auzentech Xplosion?

Yardy, I'm using their X-Mystique card right now. It uses a C-Media chipset and so far, C-Media hasn't come out with promised ASIO drivers. This would be a huge boon for getting around Windows kmixer.

The Xplosion would suffer the same problem.

I'm not bad mouthing the card though. The digital out works like a champ with either coax or fiber. It can also upsample the digital out and actually does that very well. I would say it's a killer card for most people who just game and want decent quality sound.

It just doesn't do what I need it to. I can't get it to not do some kind of signal processing so it won't pass a DTS stream from the harddrive. It also doesn't seem to be able to record a 24 bit signal.

Also, the opamps can be changed in either card to better the analog output if one were so inclined.

downhill
07-22-06, 08:32 PM
i have a TBSC card just sitting in a box, if it will work for ya let me know.

Mark, what's a TBSC card?

CableDude
07-22-06, 08:32 PM
Yamaha DS-XG represent!

Mark
07-22-06, 08:34 PM
Mark, what's a TBSC card?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=turtle+beach+santa+cruz&btnG=Google+Search

downhill
07-22-06, 08:36 PM
Yamaha DS-XG represent!

How old is that card?

Anyway, it's like Creative. It upsamples to 48 kHz. Digitally this ruins the encoding for DTS encoded CD's.

CableDude
07-22-06, 08:38 PM
How old is that card?

Anyway, it's like Creative. It upsamples to 48 kHz. Digitally this ruins the encoding for DTS encoded CD's.

I've had it for six years. :o

downhill
07-22-06, 08:41 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=turtle+beach+santa+cruz&btnG=Google+Search

Oh duh. LOL

Yeah I do like that card. Cirrus is a major player in DSP's anymore. The digital out on that card is also upsampled to 48 kHz.

I do appreciat the offer though. :)

downhill
07-22-06, 08:43 PM
I've had it for six years. :o

LOL! The built in soundcard on your mother board stands a good chance of having a better chipset.

Not that it matters. If you like the card....keep using it! That's all that counts!

YARDofSTUF
07-22-06, 08:53 PM
It just doesn't do what I need it to. I can't get it to not do some kind of signal processing so it won't pass a DTS stream from the harddrive. It also doesn't seem to be able to record a 24 bit signal.

Also, the opamps can be changed in either card to better the analog output if one were so inclined.

Shine some light my way, To do 24bit recording it has to directly form source to the hard drive?

All I keep seeing from C Media on ASIO drivers ins "Coming Soon! Soon to be released!" :rotfl:

Too bad, cuz Cmedia seems to have the hardware needed.

Oh and did you call my herc card a santa cruz earlier? It has a Crystal chip, didnt think that was turtle beach/voyetra.

downhill
07-22-06, 09:26 PM
Oh and did you call my herc card a santa cruz earlier? It has a Crystal chip, didnt think that was turtle beach/voyetra:o

Yeah it's not the digital input. I'm trying to take an analog input and recored at 24 bit. So it's from source through the cards ADC and to the hard drive as a wav file. Of course you also need some kind of software.

I just bought a new turntable. I'm going to record some of the rare albums I have and I thought I'd burn them to DVD vs CD.

Mark
07-22-06, 09:48 PM
have you looked at these yet, not sure what you are looking for.............

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Revolution51-main.html

downhill
07-22-06, 11:01 PM
have you looked at these yet, not sure what you are looking for.............

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Revolution51-main.html

Mark, my rant started with an M-Audio card. I just wasn't ready to name names. For the most part, they get great reviews for all their products. Most complaints are about their drivers.

I couldn't get mine to work for nothing. It was an expensive card and I bought it as a referb. Something I guess I should shy away from. Still xing my fingers I can exchange it. I'm not supposed to be able to. I'll find out Monday.

Trying it out...24 bit 192 kHz is no problem recording with though. (Different card than the one you listed.) A tad overdone but hey, I could do a true DVD-A super hi resolution recording with it.

I believe that Burke has that Revolution card. I used to post about it a while back. No 7.1 but it's got great specs.

Mark
07-22-06, 11:24 PM
i know there are third party drivers for some creative cards, i wonder if there is some for whatever card you are working with ?

YARDofSTUF
07-23-06, 01:01 AM
i know there are third party drivers for some creative cards, i wonder if there is some for whatever card you are working with ?

:nope: No ASIO ones at least.

CableDude
07-23-06, 06:36 AM
LOL! The built in soundcard on your mother board stands a good chance of having a better chipset.

Not that it matters. If you like the card....keep using it! That's all that counts!

No onboard sound. ;)

YARDofSTUF
07-23-06, 12:32 PM
No onboard sound. ;)

Your Yamaha is Windows ME compliant, wanna upgrade? :p

And check ur PMs lol

7thkevin
07-23-06, 10:07 PM
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14066

thats what I have and im lovin it:thumb:

YARDofSTUF
07-23-06, 10:50 PM
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14066

thats what I have and im lovin it:thumb:

Ya the Xfi is soundblasters first step forward since teh SB Live! and even then my ISA SB awe64 was able to compete.

downhill
08-12-06, 12:10 PM
Ya the Xfi is soundblasters first step forward since teh SB Live! and even then my ISA SB awe64 was able to compete.

They still resample to 48 kHz.

downhill
08-12-06, 12:13 PM
Update, I just got a replacement card. M-Audio's 192 card.

Digital out worked right off the bat. However getting the digital out and the analog out for the computer speakers took just a bit of work.

I have to have two different copies of Foobar to do what I want to do but hey....that's pretty simple, really.

DTS encoded files work like a champ with Kernel streaming with Foobar, while regular flac and mp3 files work fine also. No upsampling on the digital out. :D

How's it sound? With the Flac files, delightful!!

downhill
08-12-06, 12:51 PM
Oh yeah.......32 bit floating at 96 kHz works like a champ. Decision time. 96 kHz or 88.1.

Or do I do 192 kHz and make DVD-A's? Decisions decisions...

YARDofSTUF
08-13-06, 01:48 AM
About time for a positive twist here, you've had a few negative posts for a while now on sound cards not gettign you what you needed.

Take good care of it!