PDA

View Full Version : GamePC: Top To Bottom : AMD’s Socket-AM2 Athlon64 Family Tested

YeOldeStonecat
07-13-06, 12:14 PM
"Announced in late May, AMD's new Socket-AM2 based processors are finally available in volume in all major markets with nearly all variants and speed grades for sale. Socket-AM2 is AMD's first major form factor switch since the move to Socket-939, a close relative to Socket-AM2, which has been the base of AMD's desktop and performance platforms since mid-2005. The move to Socket-AM2 is evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, as the new socket does not provide any major features to AMD's platforms besides dual channel DDR2-800 memory support, compared to DDR-400 of Socket-939 platforms. Socket-AM2 does, however, unify AMD's low-end to high-end products on a single CPU socket, and also lays the ground work for eventual quad-core computing on the desktop.
While Socket-AM2's new dual-channel DDR2-800 memory interface allows for greatly increased theoretical memory bandwidth and a much "sexier" selling point compared to aging DDR-400 memory, performance of these new Socket-AM2 processors is more-or-less, identical to Socket-939, clock for clock. Therefore, AMD is not charging a significant price premium for their new Socket-AM2 processors over 939, a point which certainly is helping to ease the transition to this new socket. However, the lack of a major performance boost with this new socket and memory controller caught many off-guard, as it was expected that AMD would have to up their performance-per-clock level in order to fend off Intel's upcoming Core 2 Duo (Conroe) processors.
Performance questions aside, the move to Socket-AM2 has also been greatly pushed forward by an abundance of motherboards using this new socket, which made it to market incredibly fast after the original processors were launched. In addition, DDR2-800 memory prices have held quite steady over the past few months, with little to no price premium over older DDR-400 memory modules, which has also helped adoption rates. It's now possible to grab a new Socket-AM2 processor with an nForce5 based motherboard with DDR2-800 memory for about the same price as an older Socket-939 motherboard with an nForce4 motherboard and DDR-400. As Socket-AM2 will be AMD's socket of choice throughout 2007 (and perhaps even 2008), there's little reason to even consider a new Socket-939 system anymore. With Socket-939's days numbered, we've decided to give AMD's new Socket-AM2 platform a good once-over, looking at the final, retail products which are available on store shelves today. We've got Socket-AM2 based Athlon64, Athlon64 X2, and Athlon64 FX chips on the testbed, and we're out to find out how different they are in terms of performance, features and power consumption. Let's continue. "

Full article here:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=am2c&page=1

http://www.gamepc.com/images/labs/rev-am2c-fpSM.jpg

Sava700
07-13-06, 01:36 PM
yep my new build will be with the AM2 and FX-62 setup unless they release a higher FX chip in the next 5months... or creep out with the next secret :D

YARDofSTUF
07-13-06, 03:34 PM
Cant wait till conroe is out :)

Sava700
07-13-06, 03:51 PM
Cant wait till conroe is out :)

conroe is out and has been out for like a few weeks lol E6600, E6700 and E6800Extreme but unless you go extreme the performance is matched pretty close or right at the FX-60 and FX-62 so not much difference right now

YARDofSTUF
07-13-06, 06:13 PM
conroe is out and has been out for like a few weeks lol E6600, E6700 and E6800Extreme but unless you go extreme the performance is matched pretty close or right at the FX-60 and FX-62 so not much difference right now

Well I dont see them instock yet.

So you'll spend $1000 on a CPU thats slower than a $700? Or the same speed?

I cant wait for some reviews to really get around.

Sava700
07-14-06, 02:57 AM
Well I dont see them instock yet.

So you'll spend $1000 on a CPU thats slower than a $700? Or the same speed?

I cant wait for some reviews to really get around.

ohh no I wouldn't get one not even the x6800 that shag posts about... I'd settle for what I have now my FX-60 and just clock it up a little.. you really need to tweak hard with those conroe chips and good top of the line ram to get everything to work good... as for reviews I hear they are mixed and some places that are "endorced" by intel are pushing Conroe chips over AMD's but they are pretty close to being matched up.

Rivas
07-14-06, 04:29 AM
i got the FX62 chip,it performs well

YARDofSTUF
07-14-06, 12:11 PM
ohh no I wouldn't get one not even the x6800 that shag posts about... I'd settle for what I have now my FX-60 and just clock it up a little.. you really need to tweak hard with those conroe chips and good top of the line ram to get everything to work good... as for reviews I hear they are mixed and some places that are "endorced" by intel are pushing Conroe chips over AMD's but they are pretty close to being matched up.

Now from loop2kill's post :D

Intel is kicking ass with performance and price :thumb: