PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Drive

ntvh
07-03-06, 06:19 AM
Hi,
Would somebody please show me how to install the Sony OEM Standard Height 3.5" Floppy Drive
MPF-920E ? every time I am insert the F disc. My windows XP SP2 keep said please insert the disc ( I did insert it but it seems like the windows does not recognize? Thanks

YeOldeStonecat
07-03-06, 06:23 AM
I'd make sure floppy is enabled in the BIOS
Boot from Floppy is also enabled in the boot order if you're trying to boot from it
Regarding floppy drive cables...there are a few different types. Many don't have the key/notch failsafe like regular IDE drives do..if you're doesn't...the greater majority of them..you can plug the ribbon cable so the side with the pink/red stripe is closest to the 4 pin power of the floppy drive.
If the green light on your floppy drive stays lit as Windows boots up..chances are you have your ribbon cable on backwards.

What is the "F Disk" though?

ntvh
07-03-06, 06:45 AM
Sorry... F Disc is meaning Floppy Disc. I will Chk bios see floppy enable . I see when I inserted the disc light come on all time????..when I cancel the task the light goes off???? So in this case is it something wrong?
Chked cables it is right. :mad: What can I do???Thanks

YeOldeStonecat
07-03-06, 06:56 AM
Does it show up in "My Computer"?

ntvh
07-03-06, 07:06 AM
What is show up in " My Computer"? if you mean the Floppy drive icon...Yes. But one thing... if I disconnect the cable of the floppy Disc from the MB does it still show up on " My Computer"?:mad:

YeOldeStonecat
07-03-06, 07:17 AM
What is show up in " My Computer"? if you mean the Floppy drive icon...Yes. But one thing... if I disconnect the cable of the floppy Disc from the MB does it still show up on " My Computer"?:mad:

Yah that's what I mean...when you open up "My Computer"...do you see a "3 1/3 Floppy A" icon?

If you unplug the floppy drive cable (either power, or flat ribbon, or both)..no it will not show up in My Computer.

You may have a bum floppy drive...a bum floppy cable, or a bum floppy disk itself.

ntvh
07-03-06, 07:22 AM
when I disc connect the cable it still show up in My Computer. I will swapt the cable and the Floppy drive then will let you know

YeOldeStonecat
07-03-06, 07:28 AM
I don't think I've ever seen that in my life. Wow.
Is your BIOS set to "Plug and play OS"?

YARDofSTUF
07-03-06, 07:32 AM
If the floppy is set to enabled in bios, windows will always see a floppy, even with one not connected.

Sounds like you might have to break the bank and buy a new floppy drive.

In BIOS, try enabling floppy seek, or floppy seek on boot, something like that, see if it gives you an error.

ntvh
07-03-06, 03:15 PM
[/QUOTE] In BIOS, try enabling floppy seek, or floppy seek on boot, something like that, see if it gives you an error.[/QUOTE]
I could not find 'em.:rolleyes:

Unholy
07-03-06, 04:33 PM
What do you need a floppy drive for? You can make aboot disk from a cd or thumb drive nowadays.

ntvh
07-03-06, 05:15 PM
I Need Floppy Dr for Asus BIOS. But Get what, Please don't jump on me...I Hook up every thing to Floppy Dr except hook up the power cable for floppy dr. That is why my Floppy Dr Not working. What is a Dumpo I am? Thank you for all your help.:thumb: Problem solved.

YARDofSTUF
07-03-06, 05:16 PM
I Need Floppy Dr for Asus BIOS. But Get what, Please don't jump on me...I Hook up every thing to Floppy Dr except hook up the power cable for floppy dr. That is why my Floppy Dr Not working. What is a Dumpo I am? Thank you for all your help.:thumb: Problem solved.

Power is always helpful, but I dunno how you had a light go on without power.

ntvh
07-03-06, 05:30 PM
I don't either about the power light DO NOT Understand at all. The power light of Floppy Dr should not come up at all but it did. That is why it made me confuse the HELL with it. thanks guys.:thumb: