PDA

View Full Version : EVGA stepup

David
06-23-06, 01:59 PM
EVGA has given me the go ahead on stepping up from my 7800GT CO to a 7950 GX2. My old card plus 300 USD. Once I sell my 7900 GTX, a second 7950 will be purchased.

A_old
06-23-06, 05:39 PM
grats, i did it and got the 7900GT..it went bad in 1.5 days, i RMA'd and got a good one..still @ 700/1.8 for over a month now :D

TheyCallMe____b
06-25-06, 10:03 PM
EVGA has given me the go ahead on stepping up from my 7800GT CO to a 7950 GX2. My old card plus 300 USD. Once I sell my 7900 GTX, a second 7950 will be purchased.

I've got the same card. Mind if I ask how much the upgrade will cost?

Sava700
06-25-06, 11:14 PM

SLI is a waste since there are no drivers that are even pushing one let alone 2 right now.. and once they figure out how to get any boost of performance from them 1 or 2 as they have for the 7900GTX's then the 8XXX series will be out with DX10.. do you really want to have to upgrade again in 6months? LOL

TheyCallMe____b
06-26-06, 06:07 PM
Nevermind I just read your whole post 3 bills isn't bad.

To sava, since I don't have a sli mobo, this would be the next best thing, right?

YARDofSTUF
06-26-06, 06:28 PM
Nevermind I just read your whole post 3 bills isn't bad.

To sava, since I don't have a sli mobo, this would be the next best thing, right?

If you cant wait for DX10 stuff I would think a Single 7900 GT/GTX or ATI 1900XTX would be best.

Sava700
06-26-06, 06:42 PM
If you cant wait for DX10 stuff I would think a Single 7900 GT/GTX or ATI 1900XTX would be best.

I second this..

David
06-26-06, 10:34 PM
From what I have read, the 80 gpu series (nvidia's next incarnation) will probably not have unified shaders. With that, you would probably find yourself waiting until 2007 for ATI's next series.

Make your purchases when it suits you to do so. As I understand it, the presently released cards will work with DX10, only not "optimized". The present suite of games operate well without having to spend money on SLI. There are some who have outlaid the money for the Dell 3007. In that case, SLI would almost be a requirement to receive excellent game play.

I would like to add, in spite of the drivers, quad SLI (2X 7950 cards) does work on many popular games.

Expect me to post my BFG 7900 GTX for sale in the very near future.

david

David
06-26-06, 11:24 PM
Sava,

By the way, will you be trading up to whatever new series arrives claiming true DX10 abilities? You will also need to be running Vista and have your hands on a DX10 game. I would not concern yourself for some time about upgrading, unless you have the itch to do so.

Rivas
06-27-06, 01:10 AM
I dont know whats sava and Yard problem lol :D
If u can afford it and u want it go for it :thumb:
Im not gonna upgrade my video cards in next 10 years lol,i dont play games at all so i dont give a damn.

Sava700
06-27-06, 02:45 AM
Sava,

By the way, will you be trading up to whatever new series arrives claiming true DX10 abilities? You will also need to be running Vista and have your hands on a DX10 game. I would not concern yourself for some time about upgrading, unless you have the itch to do so.

The system noted in my sig is what I have cept a FX-60 in place of the 55 that I'll get tomorrow.. otherwise no more upgrades to that one. I'll just do a whole new build after the 1st quarter of next year once all the new things are released pretty much to work with each other the way I see it.

David
06-27-06, 05:20 AM
rivas,

How great would it be if I never played any games :). Alas, I do every once in a while.

Sava,

I started this thread moreover to remind folks that the evga stepup program is available to those who purchased one of their cards recently.

David
06-27-06, 06:57 AM
http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-highperformance.html

Another reason to feel good about updating your video card. GPU folding is approaching reality.

Rivas
06-27-06, 05:55 PM

Another reason to feel good about updating your video card. GPU folding is approaching reality.

Can you find out if it improves encoding too ?
I have pretty good setups,7900gtx didnt do a sh|t lol but i was reading end of last year they are gonna implement something into video cards so it will improve encoding BIG time.I have to read more about that video card and see.

EDIT:nm after reading it has nothing to do with encoding,its for gamers

YARDofSTUF
06-27-06, 05:58 PM

That I wont do, at least not on my gaming rig, max out the GPU, keep the temps up, kee it drawing another 200ish watts? hell no, not to mention teh heat increase to the case and room with it always running.

TheyCallMe____b
06-27-06, 07:05 PM
I'm just trying to define a possible upgrade path. My 7800 is doing fine for the
time being and I've had it too long to qualify for the program anyway.

Did I read up there that DX10 is vista only? Bummer if so.

I've got a 3500+ 939 based system which the upgrade path just became rather
limited.:irate: I'm looking at hopefully being able to still get a 939 X2 in a year
or so and was thinking since my mobo isn't sli I could get a card like this w/ 2
GPU's to squeeze the last bit out of the mobo. Otherwise I'm looking at having
to build an entire system be it Intel or AMD.