PDA

View Full Version : ram promlem again

Rivas
06-05-06, 09:05 PM
After i sold the crucial i installed Kingston memory i finally can see in bios 4096mb ram.But Windors xp pro SP2 detects still only 3gb Ram.
I was reading on MS website about that PAR frature,well no luck with that.
My boot.ini file looks like this :

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /PAE

Any ideas how to extend the memory i really donty feel like installing WIndows 2003 R2 Enterprice Edition (supports up to 64gb ram).
ANy ideas how to get it working?
Thanks in advance.

YeOldeStonecat
06-06-06, 05:17 AM
Yeah I mentioned this in a thread you posted a while ago with the first memory problems. Current versions of Windows 32 desktop products can only deal with 4 gigs max. This includes the virtual memory (pagefile.sys)..as well as various addresses that hardware takes up (BIOS, memory, chipsets, video, etc etc). Do you take 4 gigs..subtract the above..and the remainder is what the OS can use for system RAM.

cyberskye
06-06-06, 10:22 AM
Why would you need 4GB ram on a desktop? Even a 4-way rig (which i doubt XP pro supports) I can't imagine how you would use all that for a single user.

Rivas
06-06-06, 10:32 AM
Why would you need 4GB ram on a desktop? Even a 4-way rig (which i doubt XP pro supports) I can't imagine how you would use all that for a single user.

because HD encoding takes over 2gb of ram
and because i can afford it and i like my comp loaded ;)

cyberskye
06-06-06, 11:21 AM
because HD encoding takes over 2gb of ram
and because i can afford it and i like my comp loaded ;)

You sure you're not from the states? :D

If you only need two, then three should be plenty. As YOSC stated correctly above, there is a certain amount of overhead in any system.

Rivas
06-06-06, 12:16 PM
You sure you're not from the states? :D

If you only need two, then three should be plenty. As YOSC stated correctly above, there is a certain amount of overhead in any system.

I have in every system 4gb ram including AM2 AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Windsor and in my 4x xeon (which customs are still holding 24gb of ram) :)

YeOldeStonecat
06-06-06, 12:43 PM
You running Windows 64 on that one? If so...hence proper memory config is showing there if above 4 gigs.

Rivas
06-06-06, 01:09 PM
You running Windows 64 on that one? If so...hence proper memory config is showing there if above 4 gigs.

yup

A_old
06-06-06, 05:07 PM
already answered this, use x64 or turn off virtual memory :D

Rivas
06-06-06, 07:14 PM
already answered this, use x64 or turn off virtual memory :D
turning off virtual memory doesnt help ;)

A_old
06-06-06, 08:38 PM
well there's something else i forgot then. sec

A_old
06-06-06, 08:40 PM
http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=41;t=000138;p=0

Rivas
06-06-06, 10:38 PM
http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=41;t=000138;p=0

there is no such option in bios for enabling "memory holes".
I mean i use this computer for photo printing,dvd burning and sh|tload of other stuffs there is no way im gonna install x64 windoze here.
Encoding takes around 2.5gb memory and if i wanna do something else it will take next 384mb,if i do run 2 encodes at once 3gb is not enough :irate:

A_old
06-06-06, 11:40 PM
it seems your answer is simple, run batch operations and don't do two encodes at once. i tried to find a solution for you. you have to understand you're hitting a combination of a hardware limitation and a windows design limitation (32 bit addressing is 4GB and the page file is part of memory addressing, so how can they address more than is possible w/ 32 bits?). BTW, find software to do ur encoding in linux..you can do all that crap in it w/ functional drivers for most hardware...and it'll probably do it faster.

Rivas
06-07-06, 03:58 AM
it seems your answer is simple, run batch operations and don't do two encodes at once. i tried to find a solution for you. you have to understand you're hitting a combination of a hardware limitation and a windows design limitation (32 bit addressing is 4GB and the page file is part of memory addressing, so how can they address more than is possible w/ 32 bits?). BTW, find software to do ur encoding in linux..you can do all that crap in it w/ functional drivers for most hardware...and it'll probably do it faster.

I know,i'm installing tomorrow x64 and ordering more ram.
encoding is not so easy
you have to get rid off commercials,demux,clipping,use proper xvid codec,ac3filters,plugins for avisynth,and then encode with vdub
most of the time the audio ends up out of sync so you have 1.bad stream or just have to find out how many +-msec its out of sync and fix it with delay corrector.There is no way you can do that in linux.It can do it faster by few seconds,i encode as the show airs its too much work and baby sitting.Dont tell me how or with what to encode i'm pro ;) btw its not crap,people are going crazy for HR.HDTV encodes :)

Joel
06-07-06, 08:05 AM
You're awefully mean to the people who are trying to help you.

Rivas
06-07-06, 10:00 AM
You're awefully mean to the people who are trying to help you.

huh what did i do
amro and the rest of them are correct i cant fix it in win32
but the topic is about ram and not encoding,i was explaining him its not so easy and i dont think its possible in linux.
anyway thank you amro,cat,cyber :thumb:

EDIT: Damn you are right after reading it over again,i'm so sorry :(

A_old
06-07-06, 04:36 PM
it's np..and almost anything's possible in linux. that's the beauty of it.

Rivas
06-07-06, 04:42 PM
it's np..and almost anything's possible in linux. that's the beauty of it.

sorry amro
i was arrogant bastard :( i'm glad Joel pointed it out
well i dont know linux,and i dont think windows programs are gonna work there hehe but i know VMS (virtual memory system very similar to UNIX) it was/is used for VAX6000/7000 servers.Not sure if you heard about it i was working on them ...ummm 7 years ago ?I have over 2TB space and i wanna put in more ram so definately i will need different OS.Not sure yet what i will do with that xeon server.Anyway thanks for your help,all of you :thumb:

cyberskye
06-07-06, 05:46 PM
http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/Audio-Video/Video/
http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialVideo.html

Rivas
06-07-06, 05:56 PM
http://loll.sourceforge.net/linux/links/Audio-Video/Video/
http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialVideo.html

:thumb: