PDA

View Full Version : how to make Power supply run real cool

ntvh
06-04-06, 03:41 PM
hi,
I just recent install water cooler for my computer and I am very please with the result (Nautlus 500):thumb: .(Before with idel 43c ,CPU process 50c) My CPU is real cool now ( at normal 33c, working with movie processing is steady at 42 c). The only thing I want to bring the heat down is my power supply:mad: . Is there anyway to bring the power supply heat down?. I'm using ANTEC 480W TRUEpower. Thanks

A_old
06-04-06, 05:21 PM
altho ppl have done it, i don't personally consider it wise to watercool a powersupply.

Dan
06-04-06, 06:29 PM
hi,
I just recent install water cooler for my computer and I am very please with the result (Nautlus 500):thumb: .(Before with idel 43c ,CPU process 50c) My CPU is real cool now ( at normal 33c, working with movie processing is steady at 42 c). The only thing I want to bring the heat down is my power supply:mad: . Is there anyway to bring the power supply heat down?. I'm using ANTEC 480W TRUEpower. Thanks

mount it outside the case? does'nt look as good,but the heat won't stay in the case.

just a thought.

YARDofSTUF
06-04-06, 06:42 PM
mounted outside of the case or in a case that separates it from the rest of the stuff in the case.

You could put a more powerful fan in there but it'll look messy cuz you need to power it from a plug on the power supply.

Duzmor
06-04-06, 07:00 PM
put a Fan at the top of the case to get that hot air out -

Duz:) :)

Mark
06-04-06, 07:06 PM
i changed the fan in a power supply once, it was in a used PC i bought and the guy had put a few really queit fan in there, i had to splice the wires because the plug inside of the PS was smaller than a normal mobo fan connector, worked just fine for me.

if you can solder and use heatshrink it is really not that hard to do.

CableDude
06-04-06, 07:22 PM
i changed the fan in a power supply once, it was in a used PC i bought and the guy had put a few really queit fan in there, i had to splice the wires because the plug inside of the PS was smaller than a normal mobo fan connector, worked just fine for me.

I either did this or saw someone do this once. Can't remember. :o

Sava700
06-05-06, 12:56 AM
keep it clean for starters.. dust build up will work that sucker harder... but besides the fan ideas and mounting ideas of another location your only other option is to get different one thats made better or more quiet. I've read a few reviews of some PS's that don't have fans :)

Unholy
06-05-06, 07:09 PM

if you can solder and use heatshrink it is really not that hard to do.

Last time I changed a fan in a Power Supply the fan wires were soldered directly to the PCB of the Power Supply.

As for cooling down your Power Supply maybe you can drill extra holes all over the PSU untill it's covered with holes. :D You can also cut out a bigger hole to accept a 120mm or possibly 140mm fan on the bottom of the Antec to replace that small 80mm fan. Or you can just buy a replacement Power Supply cover with a bigger hole instead of cutting up the Power Supply.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/images/large/products/Cover120_Clear_1_t_LRG.jpg

Mark
06-05-06, 08:04 PM
also i wanted to add, be very careful inside of a power supply, the capacitors have enough amperage to kill you if you touch the wrong parts, well maybe not kill you, but hurt you anyways.

the heatsinks i think are live, maybe research before you open it up to tinker with it :eek:

CableDude
06-06-06, 07:42 PM
also i wanted to add, be very careful inside of a power supply, the capacitors have enough amperage to kill you if you touch the wrong parts, well maybe not kill you, but hurt you anyways.

the heatsinks i think are live, maybe research before you open it up to tinker with it :eek:

:nod: