PDA

View Full Version : How to use Memtest?

purecomedy
05-27-06, 01:22 PM
As per another post I have up, I think my motherboard is bad. I'm trying to run a program called Memtest to see if it is a RAM issue. I downloaded memtest, unzipped the files into a directory, ran "install" from a command window to create a bootable floppy to run memtest.

What happens on my computer is that it goes to a screen that says "Loading...................." and then the computer restarts after a few seconds and does this in a loop.

By the way, my computer does work so long as I unplug the second hard drive. The problem with the motherboard is related to the hard drive controller. My point is, the reason for the restart is not that the motherboard is so screwed that it can't do anything.

The only thing I didn't follow exactly in the instructions is that when I type "install" in the command line, the instructions said to use "make install". That make command didn't work, is there something subtle and important about the word "make" that I am missing?

A_old
05-27-06, 07:10 PM
make install might be on a nix distribution. try downloading the ultimate boot cd and booting from it, it has memtest on it..u select it via a menu and it runs..that's the easiest thing. if u want to use a version directly from the website, just dload the cdrom iso and burn it, then boot from it.

purecomedy
05-28-06, 01:06 PM
Alright, the boot CD worked. The thing ran all night and from what I can tell it just ran in a loop and never gave me any kind of screen saying "no errors".

Do I presume that if I don't get a big red screen or something that the RAM worked fine over 10 hours of testing?

A_old
05-28-06, 02:42 PM
yea u'd see red lines in the lower half of the screen, so that's good..your memory is most likely good (probably 5% chance of error, doubt it's even that high)