PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle exhaust question

Far-N-Wide
05-14-06, 08:20 AM
I have a 800 Suzuki Volusia, it's a crusier, 2003 with maybe 5300 miles on it. This bike will back fire when the engine is not up to a good operating temp. Generally when itís cold outside 40s and 50s. Iíve noticed if I let off the throttle I get a loud bang from the exhaust. If I do this in the wrong neighborhoods at the wrong time. Iíve seen a lot homeboys diving for the curb. :D

A guy at a dealer ship said the carbs probably not rich enough and heíd have it set correctly. So I had the bike tuned up at a dealer just before a long road trip last summer. It still back fires on cold morning or evenings.

Iíve checked the nuts holding the pipes to the engine heads. They are pretty tight, no torque wrench so I canít say if they are in spec. Any advice would be welcome. Iíve heard maybe that the exhaust pipes might have to be repacked, the engine only has like 5300 miles on it and itís a 2003 so Iím at a loss as to why it does this.

Dan
05-14-06, 10:50 AM
I have a 800 Suzuki Volusia, it's a crusier, 2003 with maybe 5300 miles on it. This bike will back fire when the engine is not up to a good operating temp. Generally when itís cold outside 40s and 50s. Iíve noticed if I let off the throttle I get a loud bang from the exhaust. If I do this in the wrong neighborhoods at the wrong time. Iíve seen a lot homeboys diving for the curb. :D

A guy at a dealer ship said the carbs probably not rich enough and heíd have it set correctly. So I had the bike tuned up at a dealer just before a long road trip last summer. It still back fires on cold morning or evenings.

Iíve checked the nuts holding the pipes to the engine heads. They are pretty tight, no torque wrench so I canít say if they are in spec. Any advice would be welcome. Iíve heard maybe that the exhaust pipes might have to be repacked, the engine only has like 5300 miles on it and itís a 2003 so Iím at a loss as to why it does this.

some bikes just do that,

the only thing I could suggest is a better spark plug,like a "Splitfire" or something that fires good and hot,and/or a hotter better coil?

unless you have electronic ign?

my shovelhead did that sometimes.

Blisster
05-14-06, 11:59 AM
sounds like a lean mixture to me, my bike did that (still does somewhat). I got a manual for it, found the fuel mix screws on the carbs and turned them out a little bit at a time like 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time) until I found the sweet spot. The bike also starts easier now too. Although Since I was richening the fuel mixture I needed then tune the idle down just a bit.
It seems intimidating but it's not really, jsut get a manual and you cna have 'er purring in no time.

Far-N-Wide
05-14-06, 06:30 PM
I'll try the leaning out. Going to look for a chiltons 1st. I got the tach and stuff. I keep my old V-Dub tooned so I'm not clueless. Mototcycles are different animals, but not that different.

Any advice on straight pipes vs. muffled. I've heard on bikes you can go closer to a straight pipe and gain some miles per gallon. Trading off for noise though, but It's pretty quite now and I'd rather folks hear me coming then not. It's better to be seen and heard on bikes.

brembo
05-14-06, 06:40 PM
Re-check the header connection. Any leak will cause evil popping. Check anything in the exhaust system that might allow air to sneak in. Be careful with the lean state to, too lean and you'll either pound the crank bearing to dust or hole the piston.

Illini25
05-14-06, 06:48 PM
I agree with Blisster. Mine ('99 Shadow Spirit 1100) does it from time to time as well. Same as yours Far-N-Wide. I let off the gas and it will backfire just a little. Nothing to serious though. Just a little tweak of the carb should do it.

Blisster
05-14-06, 09:21 PM
I'll try the leaning out. Going to look for a chiltons 1st. I got the tach and stuff. I keep my old V-Dub tooned so I'm not clueless. Mototcycles are different animals, but not that different.

Any advice on straight pipes vs. muffled. I've heard on bikes you can go closer to a straight pipe and gain some miles per gallon. Trading off for noise though, but It's pretty quite now and I'd rather folks hear me coming then not. It's better to be seen and heard on bikes.

Just for clarification, it *sounds* like your bike is running a bit on the lean side, so you will wnat to richen the mixture, a *tiny* bit at a time. Like, a miniscule adjustment and then ride 'er for a day and see if you feel, notice or hear a difference. I'm sure theres a tech forum dedicated to your specific bike, as there is one for mine, I'd recommend doing a little searching and then ask your question there as well before doing any serious wrenching.
Good luck and have fun!

tr87526
05-15-06, 11:16 AM
That is the nature of that bike. Go to www.intruderalert.com Under "cafe" you will find tons of information

Far-N-Wide
05-15-06, 08:01 PM
Thanks Tr!

Loads of info I never knew about. From what little I read on that site. it sounds like it's something I'll have to live with or learn to drive slightly different.