PDA

View Full Version : Linksys router, and MAC address security (road runner,MIchigan)

TRON
06-19-00, 10:28 PM
Hi guys

I have roadrunner up here in michigan. They require the mac address of the cable modem and the nic in your machine in order for the two to work together and for them to give you service. What i need to know is, when i get my new linksys router, will i need to call and report the router MAC address ? Does it even have a MAC address?. Also if not, what about the other machiens its going to be routing, im assuming they cant even see those anyway..Thanks in advance.

Murman
06-20-00, 05:06 AM
Yes, The Linksys router has a MAC address. To get it all you do is follow the instruction to access the web interface of the router and the MAC addy 00-20-78-*-*-* will be in the setup screen. Call RR and away you go ..

Originally posted by TRON:
Hi guys

I have roadrunner up here in michigan. They require the mac address of the cable modem and the nic in your machine in order for the two to work together and for them to give you service. What i need to know is, when i get my new linksys router, will i need to call and report the router MAC address ? Does it even have a MAC address?. Also if not, what about the other machiens its going to be routing, im assuming they cant even see those anyway..Thanks in advance.

HMS White Star
06-20-00, 06:57 AM
Actually the Linksys router has 2 Mac addresses, one Lan Mac address and a Wan Mac address, when you give them a Mac address give them the Wan Mac Address http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif.

TRON
06-20-00, 10:48 PM
Thanks my friends!

viol8r
12-23-00, 12:33 AM
Just bought a Linksys router, and after reading this, I called RR and told them I have a router and need to give them my MAC address. First he said "we don't support routers and LANs" then he told me he didn't need the address because the modem will take care of it on it's own. Connected everything, recycled the modem, setup the router and nothing. Still can only connect with my original NIC. So far both RR techs I have talked to, didn't seem to knowledgable.

Bullfrog
12-23-00, 01:44 AM
Actually you can change the MAC address of the router. I changed it to my NIC's address, then used a different NIC, works like a charm. @home will not directly support a home LAN setup, but they do allow it and even give pointers on how to make it work better.

Murman
12-23-00, 08:55 AM
viol8r: Does your cable ISP have to provision your nic or router? Which cable co you have.

Anyway .. call up tech support again, tell them you have a new ethernet card, give them the MAC address for the routers WAN. If they mention router and don't support it, they have to at least provision it. Only the old Mediaone cable co's provision NIC's .. I believe no other cable ISP's do.

Anotherting is .. you may just need to power cycle the modem because it's holding the previous mac address in memory and it need's to be cleared to pick up the new one.

Originally posted by viol8r:
Just bought a Linksys router, and after reading this, I called RR and told them I have a router and need to give them my MAC address. First he said "we don't support routers and LANs" then he told me he didn't need the address because the modem will take care of it on it's own. Connected everything, recycled the modem, setup the router and nothing. Still can only connect with my original NIC. So far both RR techs I have talked to, didn't seem to knowledgable.

viol8r
12-25-00, 04:39 PM
On RR help site, they mention calling tech support to have a new ethernet card re-provisioned, but when I called, he said the modem would do it on it's own. So I tried power recycling, even leaving it unplugged for 2 days, changing the routers Mac address to that of my NICs.
One thing, I changed the routers WAM MAC address to that of my NICs, but also left the NIC in the PC, would that cause a problem? Next I will probably call them up and tell them I have a new PC or something, soon as I mention LAN or router, they grumble.

viol8r
12-25-00, 06:06 PM
OK, called them up and told them I had a new PC and it wouldn't connect to the Internet. He had me 1.power recycle the modem and restart the computer 2.release/renew DHCP on the PC(I did it on the router instead) 3.check network settings 4.reinstall TCP/IP.

Never did work. And I can't seem to get a IP in the Linksys router config program even after changing it's MAC address to that of the working PCs NIC. Just seems as though this Toshiba cable modem and Linksys router aren't going to work together. I guess I'll return the router and try ICS.

Lord_Belial
12-25-00, 07:06 PM
With somewhat recent firmware for the linksys router you can change the mac address, just click on it in the setup page I think.
so just find out what your old NICs MAC was and type that in.
I hope that might work for you, I think that is the reason they ahev this feature

viol8r
12-25-00, 07:41 PM
I had tried that. But according to the RR tech guy, the modem obtains it on it's own after a power recycle. If I change the ethernet card, I shouldn't have to call. And I had tried that that twice. Now, for the heck of it, I installed my old hub between the cable modem and the router, unplugged the modem, plugged in the router, plugged in the hub, waited 5 minutes, plugged in the modem and turned on my PC, voila! It works! Was the hub coincidental? Don't know if I want to find out by removing it now that everything works.

Kip Patterson
12-25-00, 09:46 PM
Sounds like a cabling problem. You need a straight-through cable between the modem and the Linksys. When you used the hub, you may have used a reversed cable and plugged it into a standard, not an uplink port.

Taz
12-25-00, 10:24 PM
Check out this link: http://www.winmag.com/columns/broadband/2000/35.htm

A partial quote from the article:

"Every Ethernet card has its own unique 12-digit serial number, known as a MAC (Media Access Control) address. Some broadband companies automatically detect your MAC address and lock up your service to that specific Ethernet card. If you change cards in your PC or try to connect a different PC to your cable modem you lose your broadband access.
So why is this a problem? When you place a router/hub product like the Linksys EtherFast between your broadband modem and your PC's Ethernet card, your ISP will no longer be able to "see" your Ethernet card at all, so the MAC address it may have been keeping track of will suddenly disappear -- and along with it, your Internet access."

The article goes on to describe work-arounds for the situation.

Hope this helps.

-Taz

mikemean406
12-25-00, 10:35 PM
Tron, that was a good movie!

viol8r
12-25-00, 11:18 PM
I had a straight through cable from the modem to the router, also tried a crossover cable. But I have to use a crossover cable from the modem to the hub then straight through from the hub to the router. I tried changing the MAC of the modem to what the working NIC was, but that didn't work.

viol8r
12-26-00, 01:24 PM
Finally did get an answer to this question:

Question: Does the Toshiba PCX 1100 cable modem require me to call RR to re-provision when changing the ethernet card? I was told that the PCX1100 will do it on it's own when doing a power recycle.

From RR tech support:
Thank you for writing,

Thats correct, all you have do do is power cycle the modem, by unplugging it for 2 to 5 minutes.

Kip Patterson
12-26-00, 01:46 PM
If it works with the hub in between the modem and the router, but not when you cable directly from the modem to the router, you have a cabling problem. By making it work with the hub, you've demonstrated that the modem will recognize the MAC of the router, and that the router will talk to the modem. The hub does not have a MAC.

viol8r
12-26-00, 03:50 PM
I am also wondering if it was the order in which I unplugged and plugged everything back in. I may have plugged in the modem before the router, this time I had the router plugged in first.

tekelberry
12-27-00, 02:13 PM
Hi! I have Road Runner too. The tech people you talked to were correct, the modem takes care of it for you. I know this becuase I have a SurfBoard (may be different from Toshiba but basically all modems are the same) and when I installed my router it worked. I do remember that I had a little trouble at the beginning but after letting it settle in a while it worked.

Osiris4142000
09-20-05, 07:06 PM
OK... Now when u talk about setting up the router, what do u mean? I hate to sound like such a newbie, but exacty what extra fields have to be filled in on the router configuration screen. :cry: