well just another bitching session from yours truely while my pleas and
those of many RR customers in atlanta I'm sure are being unheard. Why can't
we just have the service we pay for ATLEAST. well Im' outta here holler
back if you feel the same way

P.S. And for the haters with great service that say oh you're just bitching
cause your slow, Mind your own damn business this doesn't concern your dumb
ass so stop rubbing it in and giving me annoying lines like (it's still
better than 56k) I've been on greater lines then my cable and all that I'm
asking is the service that we pay for thats all.

BowEcho
09-24-00, 11:06 PM
I'm in Vermont on Adelphia 2-way and have the same type of problem to this router:

sl-bb10-nyc1.sprintlink.net 144.232.7.45

Most times between 10am and midnight, whenever I have to pass through this router on my way anywhere ( 5th or 6th hop out for me), my ping jumps to 400 or greater and of course every point after that has a high ping too. Been going on for a month or two now. What is the explanation for this? I'm getting really tired of it. Who do I complain to? My pings to the Adelphia part of the chain are all less than 50 ms, but as soon as I hit this hop, bam.

Mutilator
09-24-00, 11:47 PM
I'm with you Azazel.. Im in NC and I play my fair share of online games.... and it's getting to the point where I just feel like it's never going to get fixed heh. It's pretty damn bad when I ping 700+ with my cable modem yet if I dial up using my sister's AOL account (ACK!) I get a 250 ping! That's just not right http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/frown.gif

Kip Patterson
09-25-00, 04:35 AM
I sure understand your frustration, but it is not "just a damn router". Routers that introduce large delays do so because the downstream pipe is full. Getting more bandwidth is not a quick process. Yes, they should have planned ahead, but that isn't easy to do in this business.

The very success of Atlanta and your ISP is probably the root of the problem.

rhoyt
09-25-00, 04:48 AM
Azazel,

I also live in Atlanta and I have complained about the same router. I find it very difficult to understand the delay in replacing this componet. I spoke with one of the AT&T/Media One technicians who was well aware of the problem and appeared to be as frustrated as we are. His frustrations appear to result from not only having to hear angry customers complain but he seemed to be upset about the level of service that he was receiving as a AT&T/Media One customer because of the same router. He made one suggestion that I think we should all follow. Call AT&T/Media One and ask them to credit our accounts for the period that this router has been a problem.

I hope the repair estimates are correct. If they are we should be back to normal some time this week.

Rodney

Azazel
09-25-00, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the reply's, I know that I'm not alone in my frustration. I've also been flaring up the newsgroups...get quite a lot of replies their. Alot of disgruntled customers like myself..hehe. Something that gets to me though is that mediaone in atlanta never announce when they are having a problem on their network status page.. I wonder who's the lazy bum getting paid to do this job. When the cable was out for 30 something hours in the offnet network status page it said network working properly when we couldn't get on. /me shakes his head
what a waste of webspace.

here's an example /me crosses his fingers b4 posting

http://www.mediaone.rr.com/rros2/ms/0,2023,26_66_2_ms_,00.html

Azazel
09-25-00, 07:06 AM
hmm let me try this

http://www.mediaone.rr.com/rros2/ms/0,2023,26_66_2_ms_,00.html

Azazel
09-25-00, 07:07 AM
/me shrugs... oh well i tried

aldamon
09-25-00, 08:18 AM
God, I hope you guys are right about the fix date....That router has screwed my RR connection in Durham, NC for weeks!

iBringPain
09-25-00, 09:40 AM
I am having the same problems with the RR/Atl router. I called and they gave me 9 days credit...I was also told they have been instructed to tell everyone complaining the service will be fixed by the 27th but it is unlikely it will be fixed... according to the tech I spoke to. He said more than likely the problems will be resolved within 30 days.

I'm no expert but I think it is a combination of problems, maybe a router is really out but, I think RR/ATT is not allowing for all the bandwidth they need.

aldamon
09-25-00, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by iBringPain:
I am having the same problems with the RR/Atl router. I called and they gave me 9 days credit...I was also told they have been instructed to tell everyone complaining the service will be fixed by the 27th but it is unlikely it will be fixed... according to the tech I spoke to. He said more than likely the problems will be resolved within 30 days.

Within 30 days of what? Does this mean it'll really be fixed by October 27th?

iBringPain
09-25-00, 10:01 AM
you are correct... Oct 27th

Mutilator
09-25-00, 10:41 AM
If it's not going to be fixed until October then I'm probably going to be saying bye bye to road runner... maybe I'll go back to bellsouth.net heh... without or without dsl I'd still get a very reliable connection that never once spiked on me like RR is doing now.
If people wouldn't oversell their bandwith we wouldn't have these damn problems to begin with...

Azazel
09-25-00, 12:05 PM
yeah with pings bad enough it makes a 56k look good I bet b4 this is over alot of ppl will leave at&t

Mutilator
09-25-00, 12:10 PM
It's not affecting just AT&T.. it's affecting the entire Road Runner network.. atleast in the south east (I have Time Warner Cable + Road Runner)

Talking about making 56k look good... when I was on 56k I had 120 pings... now I get 20s-50s to some of my favorite servers... atleast when RR is working right.

Azazel
09-25-00, 12:13 PM
yeah I almost forgot the fact that at&t/timewarner are sharing the same router from North carolina down to florida...man that sucks

aldamon
09-25-00, 12:20 PM
I know that we all have been complaining here and in USENET and on the phone but have any of you lit a fire under AT&T / RR's asses by contacting the Attourney General? It seems like this September 27 / October 27 "deadline" is going to slip on a monthly basis until we can get them to commit to a date and then be held accountable for it...This situation is just ridiculous and I want someone to answer for it.

iBringPain
09-25-00, 12:25 PM
I do not understand this one. I just ping my favorite CS server which is located in MO. My average ping use to be 125 now its is 90, also just DL a file from MS at 125 kb. What is the real problem here if anyone can share it with me I would apericate it.

aldamon
09-25-00, 12:30 PM
Off Peak?

Bouncer
09-25-00, 12:37 PM
It is important to remember that all RR customers are being migrated to @home.

I mention it because it's very likely that things will get worse before they get better as the migration continues. You cannot fold one huge network into another huge network without problems.

This isn't an excuse for what's happening and I don't work for either company, as a RR customer I'm not particularly happy about the merger, for a couple of reasons, but that's me.

From a network standpoint it's much more likely to be an overloaded router, rather than insufficient bandwidth. There bandwidth didn't suddenly change, but the number of people being routed through that device in Atlanta did.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

------------------
"Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"

Azazel
09-25-00, 12:50 PM
Bouncer the problem isn't during this time it usually happens right around 3pm on
pings sky rocket... downloads slow to a crawl it's almost painful to watch. Right now though everything is as ok as it'll ever get for RR. Also how do you know that we are being shifted to @home???

Kip Patterson
09-25-00, 01:22 PM
What merger? This was discussed a year and a half ago, but didn't happen. At Home still a seperate, listed company.

Did I miss something?

Azazel
09-25-00, 01:27 PM
Kip At&t and mediaone RR have merged. At&t technically has a couple of months to get mediaone into their @home network and get them out of the RR network that timewarner has set up. The merger happend in late june I think. Hope that helps

Kip Patterson
09-25-00, 01:36 PM
MediaOne I understand. The posting said all RR customers. I guess Bouncer thinks of RR as MediaOne, and I think of it as Time Warner. Oh, well. Hope it goes well for you, Bouncer. I'd not be too cool in your shoes. Although Time Warner doesn't understand what they're doing with cable modems as a business, they do get the job done technically for the most part.

What part of the country gets affected by this?

Azazel
09-25-00, 01:43 PM
right now the south east is whats being hit hard by this problem (georgia, florida, north and south carolina) all go thru the atlanta router.

aldamon
09-25-00, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Azazel:
Kip At&t and mediaone RR have merged. At&t technically has a couple of months to get mediaone into their @home network and get them out of the RR network that timewarner has set up. The merger happend in late june I think. Hope that helps

So, does this mean that the TWC RR customers in NC won't have anything to do with router 24.88.3.149 once Mediaone becomes part of AT&T? God I hope so.......

Azazel
09-25-00, 02:11 PM
nope they will be completely out of the RR network and into the @home network

Azazel
09-25-00, 02:12 PM
oh another thing....keep in mind this transition will take a long!! time so don't expect a change anytime b4 christmas

rhoyt
09-25-00, 02:26 PM
This situation appears to be getting to a point of who do you want to believe. I just talked with AT&T/Road Runner here in Atlanta. They advised me that the router problem should be repaired by the end of SEPTEMBER.

They, or atleast the person I spoke with, had no information concerning a switch from Road Runner to @home. Go figure!!!

Rodney

Kip Patterson
09-25-00, 02:36 PM
The transition can't start until ATT has sold MediaOne's minority interest in Roadrunner. they have until December, 2001 to do that. They then have until July, 2002 to complete the move.
http://www.att.com/press/item/0,1354,2927,00.html

Anybody know anything about the timing of the minority interest sale?

Azazel
09-25-00, 03:39 PM
the selling of it's RR stake might happen alot sooner then planned read

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2630993,00.html

Kip Patterson
09-25-00, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the article, good catch. It actually refers to the ATT stake in Time Warner Entertainment that it got with MediaOne. The Roadrunner stake is over and above that, but it seems like they might do the whole thing at once.

What gets to me is how many bucks go where, and how much of that could be mine if I were smarter, crookeder, or just plain lucky.

Kip Patterson
09-25-00, 05:36 PM
I did some traces back to nc.rr.com, at noon, 3, and 6 pm. I'm coming in from the other side of the router you listed. 81 ms at noon, with no extra lag associated with the router in question, increasing to 200 at 3, and 400 at six. 400ms will slow a system with a default rwin of 8192 to 20 kbits, and a system with an rwin of 64k to 1.2 mbits max. Gaming, yuck.

With due respect to Bouncer, I still think this is an overloaded circuit. The router backlog just builds to the point where it has throttled everyone back enough to get by.

Azazel
09-25-00, 06:08 PM
check this out I found this in my bitch in the news groups

Steve B wrote:

Well, from some sources, I have heard that since the complaints are growing abou
the 24.88.3.149 router(that I originally started posting about bvecause
roadrunner certainly is blasie' about it - more on this later), but from what I
have heard is that roadrunner down in the carlolinas and georgia are bitching
about this router that is supposedly in Virginia somewhere, and the attitude
that the network people in VA are taking is "Ok, we know we have a
problem....so?" This is alledgedly what roadrunner down in these areas are
saying. Regardless of whose fault it is, roadrunner should be ashamed of such an
attitude. It has clearly been a long term problem and regardless of what others
are saying about"giving them the beenfit of the doubt" i say "what happens when
they have another problem, will it take 2 monts to fix that one?" ANd for those
saying we are getting better than 56K speeds I say "if i wanted ISDN speeds, I
would pay $16 a month for ISDN" not $40 for ISDN-like speeds.

Like I mentioned earlier, it also seems, that I no longer have access to ANY
roadrunner newsgroup in the nc. Hmmm....kind of odd sondidering I was one of the
people who started most of the bitch sessions on the grous and threatened to
take it outside. I will continue to do so. Big nusiness continues to get more
rich off of uneducated users who think they are getting a great deal and these
big businesses continue a downward trend to sell declining service. Like the
auto industry - they werent making money of off selling cars that could last 20
years, so what did they do? Naturally, make cars with high performance complex
engins that can have a multitude of problems and have a 5 - 7 yeat serivce life
so people can buy more and more, and in the interim, raise prices. The analogy
to roadrunner is tell people we will garuntee 2mb down stream to your modem from
our network(which could be one or two hops away)because they never say where
from in their network. Apparently, it isnt from anywhere outside of 24.88.3.149.

aldamon
09-25-00, 06:37 PM
OK, now how do we take this to the next level? I am in Durham, NC and I would gladly help any group coordinate and log an official complaint.

Cable Guy
09-25-00, 06:44 PM
My friend complains about the same thing!

------------------
Its the CableGuy!

aldamon
09-25-00, 06:46 PM
BTW, here's a screenshot of a traceroute to Yahoo. It's 7:45 PM EST:

http://home.nc.rr.com/aldamon/yahoo.jpg

Yes, the offending router is in Herndon, Virginia, not Atlanta, though Atlanta shows problems too....

[This message has been edited by aldamon (edited 09-25-2000).]

iBringPain
09-25-00, 06:56 PM
Just a dumb question.. Why is it required to take so many hops? Is there not a way to get to a server and reduce all the hops? Someone please explain this to me.... Thanks in advance.

Bouncer
09-25-00, 08:07 PM
Hmm...

I just did a visual route check and all I can tell you for sure is that the router in Herndon is acting rather strangely.

See, usually a path is developed between point a and point b, and from then on packets flow down that path barring one of the hops in the path having a problem. That's TCP/IP in a nutshell.

However, I can now WATCH the Herndon router try multiple routes between me and the destination before settling on one. It's as if it is treating every packet as a UDP and just shuttling it out the interface without doing any path determination.

Very odd. Hmm... did some more tracing...

It's like..how do I explain this...Mediaone customers, as opposed to popping out of the RR network onto a backbone... are being routed to @home, which is then routing the packet and eventually putting it on their backbone. The routing is VERY flaky, since it seems to be connectionless...there's no set path in the Herndon router to the @home network so ANY traffic from mediaone subnets has to be dynamically routed to @home.

VERY strange way to go about it, and not very efficient. As a result MO customers suffer a huge lag spike there, and I wouldn't be surprised if the additional overhead all these special routes are imposing also fell on the Time-Warner customers who are routed through there.
It doesn't appear to be cacheing any routes.

BTW, I do apologize. I misspoke myself when I referenced all of RR customer base. I was thinking of the Mediaone folks.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

------------------
"Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"

[This message has been edited by Bouncer (edited 09-25-2000).]

Prey521
09-25-00, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by iBringPain:
Just a dumb question.. Why is it required to take so many hops? Is there not a way to get to a server and reduce all the hops? Someone please explain this to me.... Thanks in advance.

That really has nothin to do with you but with your ISP and whom they use as there backbones.

Mr Lag
09-25-00, 09:57 PM
Ha ha. I just read the thread. I had the exact same route problem. I notified Mediaone/AT&T daily, got all sorts of bogus stuff including the problem was on my street and someone would adjust a setting within 48 hours. Of course, a week later, and nothing. The problem is not there on off hours, so it is apparent it is load related.

I got so fed up with this company that I canceled my service as soon as I discovered Bellsouth DSL was available. Not only am I saving about 20 bucks a month, the service is stellar compared to the cable modem. However, I would have canceled had there been no DSL. They had pushed my final button.

Sorry to those who say DSL sux, DSL beats the crap out of the cable, and when I call for customer support, I get someone FAST, not like the 30 minute holds I got from AT&T. I am an avid gamer (Tribes) and the cable line was killing me. Why pay a company money for that type of service ? Your $$ is the only thing that speaks to them. As long as you act like an indentured servant, you shall be treated like one.

My advice is to call them and demand your bill be credited until the problem be resolved, and if they won't cancel the service on the spot.

------------------

Prey521
09-25-00, 10:04 PM
DSL beats the crap outta cable, HAHAHAHAHAHA, thats funny. I have yet to see a DSL connection that is faster than my cable. But of course that all depends on the ISP. It sux that you had a bad experience with your ISP though, I wouldn't blame you for leavin. I have never had problems with my ISP. I love the fact that they provide a 24 hour live technician that you can Chat with right of the website. And when I have called them, they always pick up within the first 5 minutes. Your Cable ISP may have blown chunks, but I definitely love mines.

Azazel
09-25-00, 11:16 PM
damnit until october well I guess it's dsl for me sometime soon.

[This message has been edited by Azazel (edited 09-25-2000).]

Mutilator
09-25-00, 11:39 PM
lol.. looks like RR may be on their way to losing their entire gaming community in the south east if they don't fix this quickly http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

Azazel
09-26-00, 04:33 AM
Prey you are lucky that you are in the North East. Us in the south east are the one's suffering from this lack of service and yet it is kinda strange that we are being made to take so many damn hops to go to a server near by. Whats with that being routed to virginia thats totally messed up I can't believe this /me shakes his head in disgust

Vato
09-26-00, 04:43 AM
Yeah jump over them !!!!
http://www.pysoft.com/pics/speedometer.gif

Kip Patterson
09-26-00, 05:50 AM
For IBringPain:

A couple of years ago, the original concept of class A, B, and C allocations of IP address speace was scrapped in favor of Classless Interdomain Routing. The routers simply could not hold all the information needed for all the new sites. IP addresses are now issued n blocks as small as 16, and normally come from your ISP. The upshot of this is called hot potato routing, where the packets are handed off to the destination tier one provider at the easiest location. So, if I bring up www.ibm.com, (http://www.ibm.com,) it goes from Columbus to Chicago via ATT, then to the west coast where it is handed off to IBM, then back on the IBM network through Columbus to Armonk, NY.

aldamon
09-26-00, 08:48 AM
Bouncer: Thanks for your help. Please keep digging! BTW, tomorrow is the 27th....I'm crossing my fingers....

Azazel
09-26-00, 10:35 AM
/me crosses his fingers for a tommorrow repair but believes deep down that it's highly unlikely

Mr Lag
09-26-00, 12:02 PM
Sorry, I did not mean DSL beats the crap out of Cable in all areas. I was referring the specific post above where someone said DSL in the Atlanta area was no good in comparrison to cable, which I have found to not be the case (FOR ME in Atlanta). I did not want to imply in general, I was refering to specifics.

There is no in general when we are talking about individual circumstances. Really, if you are getting 400KB/sec in your area, that does nothing for me if all I can get is 30KB/sec. Since the post is regarding Atlanta Mediaone, ......

------------------

aldamon
09-26-00, 12:27 PM
I'd say if the problem isn't fixed by tomorrow then we all need to get on the phone or form a collective complaint that they can't just blow off with a phantom fix date.

Azazel
09-26-00, 12:31 PM
yeah seriously cause this is pathetic I mean I have to wake up in the morning b4 I go to college just to get decent speed.

Azazel
09-26-00, 03:16 PM
him I just did a tracert to this site the time is 4:04pm check this out

1 14ms 14ms 27ms 24.163.52.1
2 13ms 14ms 14ms 24.88.3.65
3 27ms 27ms 14ms 24.88.2.33
4 13ms 14ms 27ms 24.88.3.133
5 14ms 14ms 27ms 24.93.64.69
6 28ms 13ms 14ms 24.93.64.61
7 13ms 14ms 28ms 24.88.3.149* --this is definetaly an improvement
8 55ms 55ms 55ms 24.218.190.122
9 55ms 55ms 41ms 24.218.189.148
10 55ms 27ms 96ms 24.218.190.101
11 14ms 41ms 28ms 205.171.21.105
12 55ms 82ms 69ms 205.171.5.241
13 55ms 55ms 55ms 205.171.24.126
14 54ms 83ms 55ms 208.46.126.122
15 220ms 219ms 234ms 216.167.23.73

hmmmm seems like it's doing ok but I can be wrong everyone do a tracert to different sites at different time and tell me if your service has improved

aldamon
09-26-00, 03:35 PM
Now I'm getting a bit excited....Goin' home right now to check....I'll report what I get from Durham, NC in about an hour or two.

aldamon
09-26-00, 05:20 PM
Traceroute to Yahoo from Durham, NC at 6:21 PM EST:

Tracing route to www.yahoo.akadns.net (http://www.yahoo.akadns.net) [204.71.200.68]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 11 ms 8 ms 8 ms 10.25.18.1
2 9 ms 11 ms 8 ms 24.25.1.25
3 9 ms 10 ms 10 ms 24.93.64.97
4 10 ms 12 ms 12 ms sgarden-roc-gsr.carolina.rr.com [24.93.64.18]
5 14 ms 14 ms 15 ms sa-gsr-sgarden-gsr.carolina.rr.com [24.93.64.29]

6 21 ms 22 ms 19 ms 24.93.64.58
7 206 ms 212 ms 217 ms 24.88.3.149
8 191 ms 202 ms 203 ms pos1-1.atlaga1-brt1.rr.com [24.218.190.122]
9 287 ms 298 ms 289 ms pos1-1.vinnva1-brt1.rr.com [24.218.188.246]
10 304 ms 304 ms 307 ms 208.49.231.49
11 392 ms 362 ms 397 ms pos7-0-2488M.cr2.SNV.gblx.net [208.50.169.86]
12 377 ms 380 ms 387 ms ge1-0-1000M.hr8.SNV.gblx.net [206.132.254.41]
13 418 ms 408 ms 411 ms bas1r-ge3-0-hr8.snv.yahoo.com [208.178.103.62]
14 386 ms 388 ms 396 ms www.yahoo.akadns.net (http://www.yahoo.akadns.net) [204.71.200.68]

Trace complete.

iBringPain
09-26-00, 06:04 PM
Still not fixed at this end. I am getting 460 ms to our CS server in Atlanta.... WTF, well it is still not the 27th yet so I am hopeful.

roTor
09-26-00, 06:46 PM
Don't get your hopes up too high yet.
7:30PM in Atlanta and I'm showing a 560 ping to 24.88.3.149.

------------------
"At the very least, the Mozilla Project has given the world a pretty good picture of what caffeine poisoning looks like. "
Greg Knauss

rhoyt
09-26-00, 06:46 PM
Tracing route to www.speedguide.net (http://www.speedguide.net) [216.167.23.73]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 20 ms 21 ms 19 ms 24.31.98.1
2 19 ms 18 ms 18 ms 24.88.0.225
3 18 ms 18 ms 18 ms 24.88.3.161
4 21 ms 18 ms 25 ms hub-d1-gsr1-SRP10.atl.mediaone.net [24.88.2.33]

5 28 ms 24 ms 18 ms 24.88.3.133
6 21 ms 20 ms 21 ms 24.93.64.69
7 64 ms 23 ms 20 ms 24.93.64.61
8 549 ms 540 ms 535 ms 24.88.3.149
9 564 ms 551 ms 547 ms pos1-1.atlaga1-brt1.rr.com [24.218.190.122]
10 542 ms 538 ms 550 ms srp3-0.atlaga1-brt3.rr.com [24.218.189.148]
11 548 ms 567 ms 566 ms 24.218.190.101
12 554 ms 550 ms 542 ms atl-core-02.inet.qwest.net [205.171.21.105]
13 568 ms 577 ms 576 ms wdc-core-03.inet.qwest.net [205.171.5.241]
14 580 ms 553 ms 557 ms wdc-edge-06.inet.qwest.net [205.171.24.126]
15 537 ms 532 ms 535 ms 208.46.126.122
16 528 ms 524 ms 521 ms www.speedguide.net (http://www.speedguide.net) [216.167.23.73]

7:45PM EDT. Obviously no repairs have been made. There times are horrible.

Rodney

aldamon
09-26-00, 07:29 PM
Yup, we're still screwed...Yahoo @ 8:30 PM EST:

1 12 ms 13 ms 18 ms 10.25.18.1
2 7 ms 10 ms 10 ms 24.25.1.25
3 8 ms 9 ms 13 ms 24.93.64.97
4 10 ms 12 ms 12 ms sgarden-roc-gsr.carolina.rr.com [24.93.64.18]
5 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms sa-gsr-sgarden-gsr.carolina.rr.com [24.93.64.29]

6 19 ms 19 ms 20 ms 24.93.64.58
7 629 ms 615 ms 626 ms 24.88.3.149
8 634 ms 628 ms 623 ms pos1-1.atlaga1-brt1.rr.com [24.218.190.122]
9 661 ms 660 ms 658 ms pos1-1.vinnva1-brt1.rr.com [24.218.188.246]
10 754 ms 763 ms 720 ms pos1-1.plalca1-brt3.rr.com [24.218.188.217]
11 707 ms 691 ms 683 ms srp3-0.plalca1-brt2.rr.com [24.218.189.197]
12 663 ms 664 ms 667 ms rr-px.paix.core.exodus.net [209.185.249.33]
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 621 ms 633 ms 637 ms bbr02-g3-0.sntc03.exodus.net [216.33.153.2]
15 698 ms 710 ms 741 ms bbr01-p2-0.stng01.exodus.net [209.1.169.166]
16 750 ms 728 ms 763 ms dcr03-g9-0.stng01.exodus.net [216.33.96.145]
17 * 795 ms 797 ms csr22-ve241.stng01.exodus.net [216.33.98.11]
18 772 ms 770 ms 778 ms 216.35.210.122
19 771 ms 732 ms 750 ms www.yahoo.akadns.net (http://www.yahoo.akadns.net) [216.32.74.50]

Trace complete.

aldamon
09-26-00, 08:19 PM
Oh boy, it gets better! Anyone here in the Southeast traceroute Dell.com lately? Here is Dell.com at 9:15 PM EST from Durham, NC:

http://home.nc.rr.com/aldamon/dell.jpg

It appears that 24.88.3.149 is only the tip of the iceburg...Gotta love that AT@T <ugh>..

[This message has been edited by aldamon (edited 09-26-2000).]

Azazel
09-26-00, 08:38 PM
damn you guys are right I did a tracert to this site now and I got 700ms off of the 24.88.3.149 router......argh I hope this is fixed by tommorrow

Azazel
09-26-00, 08:40 PM
hey aldamon what tracert program are you using???

lizard_boy
09-26-00, 08:49 PM
This may be a dumb question, but could this router problem effecct Charter Pipeline. For the last few nights I've been getting 700+ pings for online games with my Charter Pipeline cable modem. I can't check it right now since I'm at work.

Thanks in advance.

Azazel
09-26-00, 09:19 PM
ARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!
I'm uploading and downloading at 3k/s
my goodness what torture this is absolutely awful. It takes a while just to post these messages. this is totally pathetic....for you guys that are in atlanta if this problem isn't fixed by tommorrow lets all of us call clark howard he'll put their asses in gear

aldamon
09-26-00, 09:40 PM
I use the DOS tracert for my text routes and Visual Route 5.0B by Fortel software for my image routes. It's shareware and I have two more weeks left on it....

Azazel
09-26-00, 10:31 PM
guys I got some news for ya...unfortunetaly it's bad news...check this out

Date of Session: Tue Sep 26 23:24:00 EDT 2000
Reference Number: TIS:cf.6b.71.28.e1b566289d.24990741
Customer Service Agent: James W
Customer Service Agent ID: USR:cf.6b.71.28.df510b33c8.1bc2452
Subject: Test

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Begin Session Log

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agent James W: participating in the customer session...
Agent James W: Thank you for choosing Road Runner Technical Chat. My name is James, could I have the first and last name, and the phone number of the account holder please?
ME: Ramon xxxxxxxxx 770-xxx-xxxx
Agent James W: Thank you, what technical issue may I help you with?
ME: I've been having slow browsing problems and download speeds that are slower at times then a 56k ...I did a tracert and it seems the problem lies in this router 24.88.3.149 I would like to know if this problem is currently being worked on
Agent James W: There's a known issue with slow browsing for your service area and several others, our specialists have informed us that the system will be back to normal by the 30th.
ME: ok well thank you very much thats all I needed to know

End Session Log

that sucks they are making us wait till the 30th maybe till next month like bouncer said
sheesh!!!!

(edited by Bouncer (removed last real name and phone number))

[This message has been edited by Bouncer (edited 09-27-2000).]

Azazel
09-26-00, 11:53 PM
also anyone that has mediaone RR or timewarner in the south east once tommorrow is in during peak times see if your pings or speed have gotten any better if not then we know the problem won't be fixed till next month

iBringPain
09-27-00, 12:50 AM
I do not want to say I said so... lets all call Clark Howard...We need his help. Anyone got his number? Please post it. Know what, wish my sentaor or congressperson was running for re-election and needed some personal gain. Think this would get fixed????

Azazel
09-27-00, 05:46 AM
clarks phone number for atlanta is
404-892-8227 if you are not in georgia go to www.clarkhoward.com (http://www.clarkhoward.com) and check to see if there is an 1800 number you can use. You can call this number from 10am till 7pm. I hope we get this fixed guys

aldamon
09-27-00, 06:39 AM
Hey, if you guys go public in Atlanta, don't forget to mention your equally screwed friends in NC!!! http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/wink.gif

Good luck!

Azazel
09-27-00, 03:22 PM
hey guys call customer service and ask for Steve White's number....he was on the clark howard show awhile ago and stated that he would talk to customers personally to get any problem resolved...he is one of the major exects for mediaone/at&t broadband...I think if enough of us call him we can make some sort of impact

Mutilator
09-27-00, 04:44 PM
Just checked the nc.rr.com network status when I got home from work.. here's what they added today:

Internet Access: During peak usage times you may experience slow browsing/latency outside of the Road Runner Network. This issue is affecting all of North Carolina and South Carolina. We are waiting for circuit orders to be fulfilled by AT&T and Cable & Wireless. Once these new circuits are in place, our bandwidth will increase dramatically. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please check this page for daily updates on this issue.

Sounds like bad news since we have to wait... but possibly good news in the long run http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

aldamon
09-27-00, 05:30 PM
Yeah Mutilator, that's on my RR page too....I find it amusing though that they are saying the problem is "outside of the Road Runner Network" when the router in question is clearly IN the RR network.....funny way to shift the blame I think! I just can't wait to see what the dramatic increase in bandwidth will be....

Has anyone tried to get an RR rep to give you a solid fix date? This message shifts blame to AT&T and doesn't give an exact target date for a fix which gives them a reason to use this excuse for a LONG TIME....

aldamon
09-27-00, 05:42 PM
Here is my chat log from this evening with Time Warner RR in Durham, NC:

----------------
Agent Jamie L: participating in the customer session...
Agent Jamie L: Thank you for choosing Road Runner Technical Chat. My name is Jamie, could I have the first and last name, and the phone number of the account holder please?
ME: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ME: 919-xxx-xxxx
ME: When will the RR / AT&T (router 24.88.3.149) problem be resolved? Will RR commit to a fix date?
Agent Jamie L: The network engineers have given us a date of September 30th
ME: How definite is that date?
Agent Jamie L: That is the date that we have been given, I am confident that they will meet that deadline
ME: Excellent! Thanks for the help! This is a great little app!
Agent Jamie L: my pleasure
Agent Jamie L: In an ongoing effort to continue improving our quality of service, we are conducting a customer survey. If you would like to participate, please click on the following link: http://help.rr.com/html/chatsurvey.html
Agent Jamie L: If you have no further issues that I can assist you with, you may end the chat session by clicking on the "Close" button and a chat transcript will be displayed for you. Once again my name is Jamie and thank you for choosing Road Runner!
--------------

Sounds good and now I have a technician commiting to a date. This is ammunition for sure if the problem is not fixed come the 31st...

Azazel
09-27-00, 06:38 PM
I posted the same kind of log with a tech and yes the 30th seems like the date in question, if by sunday this isn't fixed it's war!!!!

Azazel
09-27-00, 07:04 PM
I'm on my universities T1 for the time being since I have class till around 10pm. I would like to ask for those of you that are on your rr connections now how bad is it?? yesterday i could barely download at 4k/s

bwortham
09-27-00, 07:20 PM
I'm seeing pings of 730+ to yahoo.com from the Atlanta area.

rhoyt
09-27-00, 07:28 PM
It would appear that the technicians on the Technical Chat Line do not have the same information. Below is an edited chat log that details my conversation at approximately 8:05pm. The technician advised me that he was located at their national help desk where ever that is.
--------------------------------------------Agent Shawn B: participating in the customer session...
Agent Shawn B: Thank you for choosing Road Runner Technical Chat. My name is Shawn, could I have the first and last name, and the phone number of the account holder please?
ME: Rodney XXXXXXX
ME: XXX-XXX-XXXX
Agent Shawn B: Thank you, what technical issue may I help you with?
ME: Earlier this month I inquired about a router located in Herndon VA (24.88.3.149) and the very high ping times, as high as 800ms, that I was receiving. I was advised that it was a known problem and would be repaired shortly. I continue to get high ping times from this router daily between 5:00pm and midnight. Do you know when this issue will be resolved?
Agent Shawn B: We have not received an update as to when that will be resolved as yet.
ME: Do you know if it is a router problem or a volume problem (bandwidth) at that router?
Agent Shawn B: I am unaware of the core issue with this particular router.
Agent Shawn B: I was just rechecking for any updates and do not have one.
ME: Would you verify that this router is part of the Road Runner Network. Neo Trace provides the following information.
ServiceCo LLC - Road Runner (NET-ROAD-RUNNER-11) 13241 Woodland Park Road Herndon, VA 20171 US Netname: ROAD-RUNNER-11 Netblock: 24.88.0.0 - 24.88.95.255 Maintainer: SCRR Coordinator: ServiceCo LLC (ZS30-ARIN) abuse@rr.com 1-703-345-3416 Domain System inverse mapping provided by: DNS1.RR.COM 24.30.200.3 DNS2.RR.COM 24.30.201.3
Agent Shawn B: It appears to be as you say.
Agent Shawn B: As you have mentioned, this is a known issue.
Agent Shawn B: Unfortunately I am unable to provide you with any further information as to a resolution time.
Agent Shawn B: Was this information helpful? May I help you with anything else?
ME: Thanks for the information. The fact that the high ping times appear at the same time and go away at the same time every day is mighty strange. I am quite surprised that this issue has been allowed to continue this long with no anticipated date of resolution.
Agent Shawn B: I understand your concerns fully.
Agent Shawn B: Hopefully, we will have this resolve very shortly so that you can have a sustained high throughput on your service.
Agent Shawn B: Is there anything else that I can assist with?
ME: Thanks for the information. I have no additional questions.
Agent Shawn B: Thank you for your patience.
Agent Shawn B: Have a great evening.
Agent Shawn B: In an ongoing effort to continue improving our quality of service, we are conducting a customer survey. If you would like to participate, please click on the following link: http://help.rr.com/html/chatsurvey.html
Agent Shawn B: Rodney... If you have no further issues I can assist you with, you may end the chat session by clicking on the "Close" button and a chat transcript will be displayed for you. Once again, my name is Shawn, thank you for chosing Road Runner.
---------------------------------------------

The above message does not exactly beam any rays of hope concerning a resolution date. I hope the technician in the chat log posted earlier is presenting a more accurate picture.

Rodney

Azazel
09-27-00, 08:55 PM
damn, I really!!!! hope that the 30th is the date for the resolution cause these pings are absolutely disgusting to watch on tracerts

Azazel
09-28-00, 09:17 AM
hmmm I would like to know what they mean in the nc.rr page that the bandwidth will increase dramatically??...would we in atlanta and florida get the same increase once the problem is fixed....just some stuff to ponder I guess

aldamon
09-28-00, 09:34 AM
I would hope that once their hardware is straighted out then both systems will get along and our problems will cease....

I still find it amusing though that our NC page blames an off-network AT&T site when 24.88.3.149 is clearly on the RR network...To me, this looks like the beginnings of prolonged finger-pointing. Maybe the NC RR site meant to say the problem is occurring off of the CAROLINA RR network instead of the RR network in general?

Azazel
09-28-00, 02:40 PM
hmmm weird...my ip just changed when it usually stays the same for 3 months it's only been a couple of weeks and my connection hasn't gone out?? hope this is a sign to their trying to fix the problem with speed and lag

aldamon
09-28-00, 07:29 PM
Updated message from our friends at RR:

"Internet Access: Road Runner customers may experience slow browsing/latency outside of the Road Runner Network, especially during peak usage times. This issue is affecting all of North Carolina, South Carolina and the Atlanta metropolitan area. We are waiting for circuit orders to be fulfilled by AT&T and Cable & Wireless. Road Runner corporate has escalated this issue to the highest level with both vendors to expedite the process. Once these new circuits are in place, our bandwidth will increase dramatically. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please check this page for daily updates on this issue."

Ahhhhh, that's nice....they included our friends in Atlanta to the description and are now "escalating" the issue.....that's nice. You'd think they would have escalated the issue before it got out hand...

Azazel
09-28-00, 08:39 PM
that's great of NC to include us lonely atlantians in the mix... lots of thanks for that recognition something we don't even get from our own homepage. thanks for the update aldamon :-)

Azazel
09-29-00, 09:15 AM
one more day till the resolution date the tech gave me. I really hope that this is the last day for our slow speeds and awful pings.

aldamon
09-29-00, 09:55 AM
What's the plan if the 30th passes with no resolution?

Azazel
09-29-00, 10:04 AM
I say we contact someone high up in at&t and tell them whats going on and see if they can do something about it and if that doesn't work a complaint to a major government official in charge of auditing at&t can help get their asses in gear.

Mutilator
09-29-00, 04:53 PM
Another Daily Update! http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/wink.gif
Internet Access: Road Runner customers may experience slow browsing/latency outside of the Road Runner Network, especially during peak usage times. This issue is affecting all of North Carolina, South Carolina and the Atlanta metropolitan area. We are waiting for circuit orders to be fulfilled by AT&T and Cable & Wireless.

The recent Verizon strike did delay some related work.

Road Runner corporate has escalated this issue to the highest level with all vendors to expedite the process. Our vendors do provide us with continuous updates and we will pass along all pertinent information on this page. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please check this page for daily updates on this issue.

Azazel
09-29-00, 05:10 PM
I was gonna post that same thing but couldn't get into the page thanks Mutilator for the update

Azazel
09-29-00, 05:55 PM
I may be imagining things but I think browsing is getting a little bit better I did a tracert to this site it is now almost 7:00pm and after 24.88.3.149(the special router in question) and including it all pings are at 350ms avg which is way better than the 900ms I usually got at this time.

Azazel
09-29-00, 08:29 PM
I got this from the greensboro/triad page
don't know when it was written but oh well

BROWSING ISSUES
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: During peak usage times you may experience slow browsing when visiting some web sites. We are currently working to resolve this issue as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
CUSTOMER IMPACT: Users are experiencing slow browsing to several sites to heavy traffic on the internet pipe. The reason you may experience intermittent slow browsing is a result of congestion of Internet traffic that flows out through Atlanta. Road Runner is working on this problem in conjunction with our Internet circuit providers, Time Warner Telecom, ATT, C&W and Verizon. Road Runner is doing everything they can to reroute “packet” requests. It is anticipated that this intermittent slow browsing issue will be resolved within the next week.

aldamon
09-29-00, 08:40 PM
Hmmmm, that's funny....I thought it was "anticipated" that this problem would be fixed by tomorrow? I'm "anticipating" finger pointing (oh the Verizon strike now, how convenient) and no fix.

Azazel
09-29-00, 08:55 PM
yeah i'm started to see that to and I'm getting extremely upset. I think the other RR users that complained along with me on this thread have just stopped using their connection all together....LOL or moved on to more reliable forms of getting online which if I can get a confirmation from earthlink dsl I'm leaving att broadband

aldamon
09-29-00, 09:10 PM
Well good luck if you do switch! I don't have the DSL option because I'm in an apartment and can't commit to a long-term contract. So, until we buy a house next Spring, I have to stick out TWC-RR. I'm just not going back to the 28.8 my awful phone lines were giving me on dial up or the bitching out my wife always gave me for being on the phone line!

Azazel
09-29-00, 09:29 PM
I just hope RR's service gets better, this is just sickening to watch. they better get their asses in gear cause the more time they spend on this the more customers will leave which will have a nice affect on the stock market value of both at&t and TW.

Azazel
09-29-00, 10:00 PM
I did some experimenting since i wondered why my connection to nc.rr.com is faster then to my own home site and what I came up with was suprising....to get to my home site for at&t bb in atlanta it goes thru that oh so defective router when I live in atlanta and the routers in virgina but when I go to the nc.rr page it doesn't go thru that router basically keeping my pings stable at around 30ms avg throughout the tracert

here are the results

1 27ms 14ms 27ms
rr-163-52-1.atl.mediaone.net
2 13ms 14ms 14ms
3 14ms 28ms 13ms
hub-d1-gsr1-SRP10.atl.mediaone.net
4 69ms 28ms 13ms
5 14ms 27ms 14ms
6 14ms 27ms 14ms
7 27ms 28ms 27ms
8 27ms 27ms 28ms
sgarden-sa-gsr.carolina.rr.com
9 28ms 27ms 28ms
roc-gsr-greensboro-gsr.carolina.rr.com
10 27ms 28ms 27ms
local-server.nc.rr.com

weird huh

Mutilator
09-30-00, 02:31 PM
This was added today to nc.rr.com...
We will be adding additional circuits in the coming days to alleviate this issue, starting with an OC3 that will provide bandwidth out of North Carolina and onto the Internet.

Woohoo more bandwith for me! http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/wink.gif

rhoyt
09-30-00, 04:08 PM
For those of you that live in the Atlanta area and desire updated information on this issue I would suggest you go here http://www.nc.rr.com/network.htm. This link is to the North Carolina Network Status page. Unfortunately our local AT&T/Road Runner provider does not see the value in keeping its subscribers informed with up to date information. The Atlanta Network Status page, http://www.mediaone.rr.com/rros2/ms/0,2023,26_66_2_ms_,00.html, at best would have to be described as pathetic when compared to the NC page.

It would be quite informative if someone from AT&T or Road Runner would inform us exactly how and why our level of service has been allowed to deteriorate to its existing state.

This is unbelievable. BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!!!!!!!

Rodney

rhoyt
09-30-00, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately a period at the end of the URLs above made them invalid. The address for the North Carolina Network page is http://www.nc.rr.com/network.htm The address for the Atlanta Network Page is http://www.mediaone.rr.com/rros2/ms/0,2023,26_66_2_ms_,00.html

Rodney

Azazel
09-30-00, 04:19 PM
yeah the atlanta page is totally unreliable for upto date info...the NC page and most other RR network status page's puts atlanta's to shame.