PDA

View Full Version : DSL and BeOS/Linux

Skilless
07-17-00, 02:31 PM
I just got ADSL this week (Sprint/Earthlink) @ 1.5Mb/384Kb down/up. I got the Alcatel Speed Touch Home (external with RJ45 connection) in the hopes that I could just use my "always on" connection with BeOS and Linux in addition to Win98 SE. I have to do a kind of "dial up" to establish my DSL connection (so much for "always on") and would like to find out if I can do the same with Linux and BeOS. I don't think it is the same as DHCP, so don't suggest that unless you know it to work. When I look in the Networking Properties, the NIC (LinkSys 10/100) has an assigned IP of 10.0.0.1 and the IP for the modem is dynamically assigned. Does this mean that DHCP would still be effective since it would "request" an IP?<br>
<br>
Also, how do I find out if I am using PPPoE, PPPoA, or neither? And I see a lot of configs for better cable speeds, will the same registry tweaks work for DSL (in Win98 SE of course)?

flaunt
01-20-01, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure about the BeOS/Linux stuff, but if you go to the control panel and open up network, in the network components box it should list your modem as PPPoA or PPPoE.

3v1l807
01-20-01, 02:10 PM
Personally I have Cable, but I have Linux Mandrake installed on one of my machines and one of the packages the installation came with was for establishing a DSL connection with PPPoE.