PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Security - WEP/WPA

BaLa
03-06-05, 05:24 PM
If you use them, how often do you change you WEP/WPA Keys?

I used to keep the same one all the time, even the same key on 2 different routers, but I'm going to start changing them once a month.
We don't really have anything important files/documents on the network, but it's just the idea that I do not want anybody getting into my LAN.

mnosteele52
03-06-05, 06:15 PM
WPA is much more secure and no so important to routinely change your key, but monthly would be more than adequate. WEP is too easy to crack, I wouldn't even use it.

:)

BaLa
03-06-05, 06:30 PM
both of my routers have options for WPA keys.

But I don't see an option for WPA in either of the 2 laptops NIC drivers.

http://users.cablemo.net/~balakov100/public_html/Pics/key.JPG

mnosteele52
03-06-05, 06:49 PM
First make sure you have SP2 installed, it dramatically improved wireless support. Also change network authentication to shared to enable WPA.

BaLa
03-06-05, 07:45 PM
First make sure you have SP2 installed, it dramatically improved wireless support. Also change network authentication to shared to enable WPA.

oh yeah I have SP2..

did't know you had to change the top one to get to WPA

tcc13
03-07-05, 12:24 AM
Hello all.

I'm new to this newtworking stuff and just installed a D-Link DI-524 wireless router and a DWL-G630 adaptor card in my laptop.

The laptop is running XP Pro SP2 and as mentioned above I can't enable WPA encryption. Even if I change the authentication to shared it still only gives me the "disable" and "WEP" choices.

Any help is appreciated.

tcc13
03-09-05, 07:04 PM
Ok, I've managed to enable WPA-PSK encryption but noe the connection from my laptop keeps on disconnecting.

Any suggestions?