PDA

View Full Version : Which forum for newbie?

vportera
02-27-05, 02:24 PM
I am going crazy and wife is nagging the stuff out of me. I am not understanding any of the jargon and don't know which forum would be appropriate for me to ask my question/questions.

My ISP recently changed my DSL account to a PPPoE after using an always on account for 15 years. I have been using WinRoute Pro v4 for about 12 years and could share an internet connection and network with every computer in home (4 in all) and use the serving computer as an ftp server for family and friends to swap.

All was working fine until serveral days ago, when internet, email, ftp and Newsbin all could no longer connect. I tried everything I could think of and finally called the isp. They had me establish a new connection through a logon window with username and password. This allowed me to access the internet on the computer the dsl modem was connected to as long as WinRoute engine was turned off. If I turn the WinRoute Engine on, I can access the network, but no longer can use the internet. Wife uses her computer on internet with her work and she is upset with me because I can't fix it and she has no internet or email.

I read a section on PPPoE with WinRoute but can not seem to get the doggone thing to work. So we researched a new program called Vicomsoft Intergate. I downloaded the trial and tried their "easy" auto setup but could still not get the thing to work. They have a 24/7 support phone number which nobody answers on a Sunday, so I find myself here looking for some kind of answer. Can I get an answer in terms I might understand? I don't know DCHP from a Volkswagon or WAN from a Daewoo. Please help this newbie. :irate: