PDA

View Full Version : Netgear SUCKS

wee96
02-20-05, 08:22 AM
I have always loved Netgear products until now. I bought a WGT624v2 (108mbps wireless) and it constantly resets itself, killing all connections. It even reverts itself back to default settings out of nowhere, for no reason. Its actually a known issue now that ive read up on it, and Netgear wont fix it. Newest firmware does nothing. Its not only this model either, WGT634 does it, WGT614 does it, its like wtf? I am never buying another netgear product again.

Scott
02-20-05, 08:25 AM
Yes, it seems over the past year or so Netgear has gone downhill as far as routers are concerned. I won't even consider buying one after all the complaints and problems I've seen. My 4-5 year old Linksys still runs fine, I think.

CableDude
02-20-05, 08:29 AM
Lol Wee you edited the title. ;)

wee96
02-20-05, 08:30 AM

64bit
02-20-05, 08:34 AM
I like my 3com. Best router I have owned.

wee96
02-20-05, 09:28 AM
I like my 3com. Best router I have owned.

Friend of mine got the 3com and likes it too, anythings better than this pos.

BaLa
02-20-05, 06:01 PM
We've got both a
DLink wireless b
and
Linksys wireless b

routers no problems with either.

thinking about it...
we actually have 3 routers in the house...lol
the DLink connects to the cable modem downstairs...
the Linky upstairs to improve signal for the laptops..

and the Vonage Router is in my room as well..

wee96
02-20-05, 06:23 PM
I went with the Dlink DI-524 and its been working just perfect. Funny, the brand most people used to think of as horrid is now quite good and the one that everyone used to swear by *bleep*in sucks now.

AMPLIFRIER
02-22-05, 05:00 PM
yeah ....netgear has taken a nose dive over the past couple years......i used to swear by them.

shipping their garbage back to them adds up.

AMP

wee96
03-21-05, 11:41 AM
Hmm, something told me to keep this router and I did. I just yesterday hooked it back up for kicks to see if its still constantly dropping, etc. I was using the firmware version 4.2.4 and saw theres a 4.2.6 out now. Tried it, its been up for 24hrs without resetting (before it wouldnt go a couple hours if that before dropping all connections, and resetting itself completely). Not sure if the new firmware addressed this issue or what gives, its the only thing I can think that would have fixed it.

YeOldeStonecat
03-21-05, 01:59 PM
I used to like some of Netgears products, always found they were quite solid, generally faster than similarly priced hardware, etc. Although as far as their routers go, a bit....lacking...in firmware features. But their switches 'n what not, always thought they were good.

Until I got burned twice by their support, for clients who had products fail, and I spent simply insane amounts of time trying to get replacements/RMA from their support. This was through reseller support even. :nope: And these weren't little 29 dollar 8 port switches either, they were some nicer mid-range ones. One of them I replaced with a brand new one from another brand, and since then, haven't sold any of their products, not going to get burned and thrown under the bus like that again.

wee96
03-22-05, 05:51 PM
I dont think ill buy anything from them anymore either, due to the fact that every device ive bought from them had problems at first (router before this one actually had dhcp issues until a firmware update about a year ago) and DID get fixed...but id rather buy something that just WORKS and doesnt need to be constantly patched. I agree that their support isnt very good, ive heard some bad stuff.

wee96
03-25-05, 09:20 PM
K well that was the last draw, it went out after 2 days and started the same ol nonsense. POS I tell ya.

Spacebunny3
03-31-05, 06:11 AM
hmm..
I was reading about these router problem on a other forum boards
( I was reading forums, before buying my own netgear router 634u )
It seems to be the a/c ( power ) adaptor,
It gives out to much power then the router needs to release this extra power
This done by the builtin overpower to heat function
But to much heat, makes the router reset

So, people are solving there problems by trying other adaptors or beter adding a cooler
to the router...

Hope it helps you..

wee96
04-01-05, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the response. I had already researched this theory and put it to the test, using a volt meter and several different power supplies, samething. Its something software based unfortunately, bad programming of some sort. My dlink is doin just fine though so im more than happy :)

whit298
07-07-11, 11:02 PM
Okay so I am completely computed-retarded. I have a NETGEAR WPN 824 router and I was skyping with my best friend earlier and the whole thing lagged. I maybe only saw her for like 30 seconds but I was talking to her for a whole half an hour. Is there a reason it is slow? Or a reason why it lags? I'm sorry but like I said I am computer illiterate and have no idea how to fix this problem. If someone could PLEASE help me, that would be awesome. I have a mac if that helps. thanks so much
Whitney

The Dude
07-09-11, 04:29 PM
My first bit of advice would be to start a new thread instead of replying to one from 2005. ;)