PDA

View Full Version : The new LOOK ultra fast 2 inetnet

SpeedyGonzolas
10-06-00, 08:57 PM
I was looking at their web site and they said their new service is going Wireless and that you can get up to 3.0mbps and their upload is 200kbps. I might go with this service because everyone in my neighbourhood is with Rogers@home and its damn over crowded on my Node aroud 200 people. If I go with this service and no one around me has it could i get real good speeds and also I want to learn how to find the closest gateway somehow.

glc1
10-06-00, 09:00 PM
What's the site, I wanna check this out?

SpeedyGonzolas
10-06-00, 09:23 PM
http://ultrafast2.look.ca
this is the canadian version but i believe there is a Us version just add .com instead of .ca.

glc1
10-06-00, 09:30 PM
Can't find a US site, interesting service though

Merc
10-06-00, 09:47 PM
You want fast check out www.ultraband.com (http://www.ultraband.com) i wonder when it is coming out i think they said around 40mbps.

glc1
10-06-00, 09:53 PM
I'm very skeptical of them b/c of how vague they r (no time frames, no faqs, lots of BS posted to make it look like it is well under way and supported by third parties, etc.). All they have is that stupid flash demo.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 10-06-2000).]

dreww71
10-06-00, 10:42 PM
Speedy are you ever going to change your ISP? Or are you all talk! I just got sympatico and getting 95% of max speed. I've heard about look, but have no idea what their service is like. Am interested in it b/c you can get cable t.v. through same line and it's cheaper than rogers cable.

rbrescia
10-06-00, 11:00 PM
Sprint is also coming out with this wireless service. It's rolled out already in California and Arizona. Speeds are probably closer to 1mbps not 3, it runs on microwaves so it's more stable than satelite....You need to be within 8 miles of the antenna.

[This message has been edited by rbrescia (edited 10-07-2000).]

Brent
10-06-00, 11:10 PM
I've been hearing a lot about Ultraband

It aint suppose to migrate out of southern texas till 2001

coldfinger
10-10-00, 05:29 PM
I've been using Look Ultrafast1 for a few months now..the max d/l I got was 3500Kbps, normally it'll average around 2500...unfortunately, for now, my upload is on a 56.6 modem...but the service, I'd say, is great overall..btw, the tv comes through much better than rogers.

glc1
10-10-00, 06:12 PM
coldfinger, what's the installation fee and monthly fee?

Cable Guy
10-10-00, 06:17 PM
Probably alot

------------------
Its the cable guy!

smaier69
10-10-00, 06:29 PM
oh, and if anybody using wireless connectivity could do give us some ping times, that could be very helpful. most of the info on wireless (satellite as well as ground-based wireless) i have seen indicated very high ping times. the flexibility of wireless is cool, but in the past it was not a gamers choice. hopefully that is no longer the case http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
"Those who do not acknowlege the past are condemned to relive it"

- Jim Jones

coldfinger
10-10-00, 10:02 PM
I was lucky and got the installation fee waived because we got the tv too, but its 69 bucks normally, then 29 for internet and 19 for basic tv...I was gonna go with cable or dsl but they're not available in my area yet. I'm glad I stumbled onto this though..

num1rage
11-25-00, 03:53 PM
Wireless is way different than Satellite. With satellite the signal has to go all the way to outer space. With wireless it goes basically as far as a cable or phoneline except it can go in a straight line.

Myth
12-18-01, 02:35 PM
Er... Is anyone here even aware of the difference in cost for these kinds of speeds?

In case some of you haven't looked into it yet, there is a difference between business, SOHO and home... The cost is rather exponential.

As a Rogers cable user, I pay $40.00 a month but if I wanted twice the bandwidth, whether I used DSL or any other system in this city, I'm looking at AT LEAST twice as much for the monthly bill...

Rogers also has an @Work option, the cost difference is obvious... Check it out before you start thinking it's readily available...:rolleyes: