PDA

View Full Version : DSL Information please

RedTop
10-06-00, 06:24 PM
I'm moving (have cable now) to an area that does not offer cable modem service. I am, however, in a xDSL area where I believe I am 10,000 feet to the nearest switching station in the Dallas\Ft. Worth area (Euless specifically).

I'm looking for a good ISP that offers at least 384k upload bandwidth for under 100 bucks a month. So far I've found many that meet these qualifications.

I've got several questions that maybe you experts can answer:

1) Do you have an ISP that you would recommend?
2) What the hell are COVAD and Northpoint? I am interested in an ISP(ticnet.com) that offers high-speed DSL with either COVAD or Northpoint.
3) Out of either COVAD or Northpoint, which would you recommend?
4) I'm all confused with maximum download speeds. On my cable, the maximum speed I see in the explorer box is about 400KB/sec. If I got a 1.5/384 DSL connection, what is the max that I would see...1500KB/sec????

Thanks for the information!!
RT

glc1
10-06-00, 06:54 PM
1) Go to www.dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com) and run a search for providers in ur area and check out the reviews.
2) Covad provides ISPs w/DSL hardware/lines (i.e. Covad takes the place of a phone co if ur current phone co isn't equiped to handle all the aspects involved in proving DSL). Covad is not an ISP. Not sure about Norhpoint.
3) Don't know b/c I never used either one. I think Covad is more well known and has a pretty good rep. They r known for their business connections.
4) 1.5mbps doesn't equal 1500KB/sec. 1.5mbps = ~187.5KB/sec, however, due to transmission overhead u will only see about 85% of ur rated speed, so 85% of 1.5mbps = ~160KB/sec or 1.3mbps

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 10-06-2000).]

RedTop
10-06-00, 07:22 PM
Ok, thanks for the excellent information, however, I still have some more questions before deciding on service.

I have a choice between both COVAD and NorthPoint. The ISP I'm going to use offers a choice between the two (same speed). Which one should I choose?

160 / 160kbps NorthPoint $49.99
208 / 208kbps NorthPoint $49.99
416 / 416kbps NorthPoint $49.99
784 / 392kbps NorthPoint $49.99
608 / 128kbps Covad $49.99
1.544 / 384kbps Covad $99.99
Static IP Address $10.00

I really like the idea of a faster upload speed, so the SDSL Northpoint 416/416 looks pretty damn good or possibly the 784/392. The Covad options are good as well. What is your recommendation?

Thanks!

dannjr
10-06-00, 07:28 PM
Check to see if Earthlink/Mindspring Covad is available 1.5down for $49 if it is then thats what I would do

sorry had to edit:
by the way I must be doing pretty good at 2260k-bits a second

------------------

THE WORLDS THINNEST BOOK: THINGS I CAN'T BUY By Bill Gates

[This message has been edited by dannjr (edited 10-06-2000).]

Waterboy
10-06-00, 07:39 PM
Telocity is $49 and Earthlink is $39 if you mention that you saw it on dslreports.com. Northpoint and Covad are both different providors that supply the CO with their equipment. Northpoint is mostly used for business and covad is mostly known for residential. I would go for that 784/392 from northpoint because its really 784/784 and northpoint for some reason hasn't capped it. If you can't get that go for the earthlink deal of 1.5/384. Make sure you go for a large isp instead of those small ones because they are mostly just resellers for other isps.

dannjr
10-06-00, 08:06 PM
Thats funny I pay $49 a month to Mindspring/Earthlink
Northpoint is a different backbone more like Covad but not as good in my book
Also Telocity has had nothing but problems in the past. But thats just my opinion I had them & got rid of them, do to bad tech support by them & there backbone.
But then I had Cable to and got rid of them because the speed was to much like a yoyo

Originally posted by Waterboy:
Telocity is $49 and Earthlink is $39 if you mention that you saw it on dslreports.com. Northpoint and Covad are both different providors that supply the CO with their equipment. Northpoint is mostly used for business and covad is mostly known for residential. I would go for that 784/392 from northpoint because its really 784/784 and northpoint for some reason hasn't capped it. If you can't get that go for the earthlink deal of 1.5/384. Make sure you go for a large isp instead of those small ones because they are mostly just resellers for other isps.

RedTop
10-06-00, 08:10 PM
Looks good.

I'd prefer the 768/768 connection as I do frequently upload large amounts of data. I qualify as well for earthlink, so that will be a good second option.

I'm assuming that 768 connection is SDSL right? Does that require a different DSL modem than your typical DSL modem?

glc1
10-06-00, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by RedTop:
I'm assuming that 768 connection is SDSL right? Does that require a different DSL modem than your typical DSL modem? Yes, if it's 786 up and down as SDSL means symmetric (same up and down speed).

dannjr
10-06-00, 08:50 PM
This is a copy of the other thread on this page good luck getting the full 768 up I know that I get this below and so do the other ones just read this attachment.
It's your money I just want you t obe as informed as possible

Yes definitly do a search at dslreports.
Here's what I have from Mindspring/Earthlink.
My Pings are always consistant from 50ms to 125ms max I did have a problem one day where it jumped to a 1000ms but the changed out that problem with the roughter very quick.
I average a D/L rate of 1800.0kbps to 2400.0kbps down and 400+ up consistant unless the server I'm D/L from is having a problem. (Thats Tweaked)
I have been down once in the three months that I have had the service, but that was only for a hour do to equipment failier.
I was told by there techs that if I can tweak the connection to go higher go for it.
that was backed up by there boss's.
Can I say I'm happy YES
I do have 5 of these connections that I service other than my own can I say there happy four of these are in business's. They went out and got 5 more for ther homes.
I got refrenced for all of them Mindspring/Earthlink gives a $20.00 kicker to me for every account that signs up.
Dose that make me happy yes 15 more to go and I'm paid for the year.
The down side there are area's that Mindspring/Earthlink are having some problems but they tell you up front and they fix it.
Well before this gets to be to much like a commercial if your real interested in making the change there are some neat little tricks to get it done smooth.
If you decide to go there way email me.
dannjr@email.com

------------------

THE WORLDS THINNEST BOOK: THINGS I CAN'T BUY By Bill Gates