PDA

View Full Version : Motorolla GI SB1000 Cable Modem

Inix
10-06-00, 01:36 PM
Hi guys, I read the technical specs of the SB 1K modem, and found that its a Router as well as a Cable modem. However, I need more info.

When connected to a hub, would the DHCP Server assign the PC's behind the hub Internal IP's (eg 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x) or would they be assigned my ISP's own IP (202.156.x.x)

My ISP have a cap limit of 1.5mpbs. Yes. I know its pathetic. But if I were to connect 2 users to the hub, would I get 3mbps of bandwidth or will I be sharing the 1.5mbps bandwidth?

Anywhere can I read up more about SB1000 technical specs / howto / documents?

Thanks in advance

------------------

Life's A Bitch
That's Why I Like It

glc1
10-06-00, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Inix:
would the DHCP Server assign the PC's behind the hub Internal IP's (eg 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x) or would they be assigned my ISP's own IP (202.156.x.x)
If u hook ur clients up to a hub and ur modem to the uplink port, u need to give ur clients static IPs (from ur ISP). If u don't want to pay for staic IPs or ur ISP doesn't offer static IPs, u need to use a router or build urself a server to share ur net access, in which case the router (or server) will assign IPs (internal IPs) to ur clients if u decide to use DHCP.

Originally posted by Inix:
would I get 3mbps of bandwidth or will I be sharing the 1.5mbps bandwidth?U will be sharing the 1.5mbps.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 10-06-2000).]

Kip Patterson
10-06-00, 01:55 PM
The hub is a layer 2 device - it doesn't know from nothing about IP addressing. The pc's behind the hub will receive IP addresses from the ISP's server. Depending upon your ISP, you may need to pay extra for more than one IP address.

The bandwidth of the modem is shared. You will get 1.5 total.

Motorola does have a web site, but it didn't have info on your modem, as of last time I looked. Are you sure you have the correct model? The sb1000 is no longer offered, it was an internal ISA card unit, from what I can see.