PDA

View Full Version : att gives us the shaft

att@home-gonegay
10-06-00, 04:03 AM
I got my cablemodem service 2/22/00. I was one of the very first people in my service area to get it actually, it was great up untill about 3 weeks ago. They decided to take away our upload capability and slap on the old 15KB/s cap. How nice huh? they set up the brand new cable system in my town, let it run wide open for the first few months so they get a larger subscriber base (I assume) and then once everything is rolling and they have people signed up they toss the goddamn cap on us. As far as I could tell there was not a big load on our system so I didn't see a need for them to cap it. To my webserver and just about anyone on the net that had a fast connection I'd get about 90KB/s. It never seemed as if our cable lines were bogged at all, it ran pretty smooth almost all the time. Now since they've capped me I've also noticed a difference in my routing.. from what I remember they had my line going through hrvy1.il.home.com (when it worked good all the time) now its going through hmwd1.il.home.com. In the past I'd be able to download anywhere up to around 300KB/s most common was around 140. Now I see up to 140 and most common is about 50-80 and ofcourse my upload is capped at 15. My pings for quake2 and 3 seem about the same except that its way less stable than it used to be... I used to be able to play, get a good connection with minimal or no PL and really hardly ever time out unless it was the fault of the server... today no matter what time I play, I will almost every time recieve packetloss and atleast 1 timeout per gaming session. Don't get me wrong it still beats out dial up which btw is the only alternative here... @ 27000 feet from the Co we can only dream about xDSL. The cable company knows that they are the only game in town and they figure since they already have subscribers, they will not lose them by making this change. Cheap bastards.

Oh well, I've bitched my fair share and then some and then some more... so I will finally shut up now.

I know there will probably be atleast 1 or 2 of ya that are going to give me the old "cry me a river" reply so there, I just did it for ya LoL

later peeps

bigjim
10-06-00, 09:16 AM
I understand...the same thing happend to me, I was one of the first to subscribe in our area when AT&T cable got here. Speeds were great,routing was great. that has all changed over the last few months and it truly does suck. I also talked to someone that said theres going to be a "New kid in town" in 6 months or so. We shall see, If not I may go the @work way...I know, I know, but I only have so many choices. @work says they Guarantee unlimited down and Guaranted 256 KB up. as they go through different routing. This will cost $99 per month ( It's all about $ ) for one IP. Additional ones at $50... I will be buying a router. Until more services come available in my area im stuck beacause I will not go back to dial up. Jim.

user3657
10-06-00, 03:24 PM
attgongay guy,,,,,think about it. you say speeds are slowing down, pings are not as stable? this is due to bottlenecks, and if your upload wasnt capped, it would be 2times as bad. everyone with @home has upload limits. the only people i feel bad for are optus@home, come on how the hell can you put a limit ON DOWNLOADS,ok,say i have a home office. my job is to browse the web all day long, what happens in doing this i past that limit, this is with out downloading a single file, just web and email...

glc1
10-07-00, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by bigjim:
( It's all about $ )What isn't any more? http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

ultimate
03-14-01, 10:36 PM
DAMMIT I CANT BELIVE THEY DID THIS TO US.. AFTER ALL THE RECOMMENDATIONS I DID FOR THEM.. BASTARDS... 15kbps... I dont know about u guys but IM PRETTY DAMN PISSED RIGHT NOW... I DIDNT GET NO NOTIFICATION.. IM MOVING TO SDSL FROM IBS AT 80 bucks a month

784K/784k :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

DaveM
03-14-01, 11:01 PM
Dang, Im not as mad as you guys.
Sure its annoying, but when I signed on in March of last year, they clearly stated in the contract that upload speed was limited to 128kbits/sec.

So up until now you were enjoying free service... everything above 128kbit/sec.

I wasn't capped until today.
I figured I'de buy a top of the line modem and save 10 dollars a month.
They took my old modem away which wasn't capped, 1mbit/sec upload was common.
I now have my new modem, 5 mbit down and 128kbit upload.

I will miss the extra bandwidth, but I don't really need it.

BTW, By limiting upload your rates stay cheaper. You see the more data that passes out of a network, the more AT&T has to pay other companies for a pipe to exit onto the internet.

So even though the cap may not have been needed for speed reasons, it does curtail the rouge server and save cash by not requiring as much outbound bandwidth access from other service providers.

If I didn't get the cap on me, I would be roughly at 4 to 5 times the speed of a T1 download and 1 T1 upload.

Do you think its fair to allow me to have those speeds at $29.95 a month?

I don't, in the current market a T1 line is not as cheap as $29.95 a month.

[ 03-14-2001: Message edited by: DaveM ]