PDA

View Full Version : strange PPPoE occurance with Linksys router

jkcrowell
10-04-00, 10:17 PM
I just got DSL from Earthlink(Mindspring whatever). I intalled EnterNet300 and can connect okay. When I try to enable PPPoE on my Linksys Router, I get a "PPPoE LCP negotiation error." I just puzzles me that EnterNet works and the router doesn't. I tried using the 1.35 firmware as well as the 1.31.1 firmare. I can see the green link light when I plug the DSL modem into the router. Anybody got any guess?

glc1
10-04-00, 11:17 PM
Have u tried RASPPPoE (http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/#Download)?

jkcrowell
10-05-00, 12:47 AM
No I have not tried RASPPPoE but unfortunately that's beside the point. What I want to be able to do is use the Linksys router that I have to make the PPPoE connection so that I can share the connectoin. If I want to use software, the EnterNet was already working fine.

glc1
10-05-00, 02:23 AM
Sorry, didn't know that EnterNet300 was ur PPPoE software (I don't have Earthlink). Have u tried contacting Linky about this or maybe they have a faq on their site since a lot of DSL providers use PPPoP now. Just a thought.

cmsanto
10-05-00, 11:19 AM
I had all sorts of troubles with the Linksys router. I, too, use Earthlink (Mindspring). The thing would kick me out of the net whenever I tried to download large files, or there was too much activity from the three networked pcs in my house. Two nights ago it kicked everyone out of the net then it wouldn't reconnect. I knew it was the router because I reconfigured one of the pc's to run straight off of the dsl modem and, presto, connected!
Earthlink lets you have up to 3, I believe, pc's hooked up to their service at one time, and I have a network box, so I put the modem directly into the network box and downloaded a free software firewall for the 3 pc's. Everything seems to be running smooth. Needless to say, Linksys' router is going back to buy.com or on to ebay.

jkcrowell
10-05-00, 11:27 AM
OK, somehow this solved itself...
I am back on firmware 1.35 and it worked. I don't know what could have happened, the told me I am the first connnection on a new network so maybe it's growing pains. So far it has kept the connection alive although it has only been overnight.

Glc1, I downloaded RASPPPoE just for kicks anyway to see what it was like. It's great! If I were still going to use software, I would surely dump stupid ol EnterNet and use RASPPPoE. Much cleaner interface.

Twotech
10-05-00, 09:49 PM
You don't need a router if you use PPPoE you just need a hub. The way I have it I have 2 comp. plugged into a hub and the modem to the link and it works fine.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Twotech (edited 10-05-2000).]

glc1
10-06-00, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Twotech:
You don't need a router if you use PPPoE you just need a hub. The way I have it I have 2 comp. plugged into a hub and the modem to the link and it works fine.

Don't u need to buy more IPs also?

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 10-06-2000).]

dannjr
10-06-00, 11:13 PM
Mindspring gives up to 3 IP's free with connection sharing not a problem (one initial IP)

Originally posted by glc1:

Originally posted by Twotech:

Don't u need to buy more IPs also?

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 10-06-2000).]