PDA

View Full Version : My DSL line won't connect - any ideas?

gooding
10-04-00, 06:52 PM
HI,
When I try to connect to Verizon DSL, the connect program comes back and says " unable to connect to remote computer " This happens almost instantly upon clicking connect. Is my modem going bad? NIC? Help!! I'm frustrated. I can access fine at 56K modem.
Thanks.

glc1
10-04-00, 07:01 PM
Sound like ur ISP may be having probs. Have u contacted them?

gooding
10-04-00, 07:33 PM
Hi glc1,
I've contacted Bell Atlantic/Verizon and they are supposed to be checking the line. This has gone on for 3 days now. They are getting another call tonight. Any other ideas? Thank you for the response.

puhbare
10-06-00, 07:47 AM
Hey gooding,
does the message say "Dial-up networking can not stablish connection with the. Check you configuration and try again." or something like that? I had similar problems and that was the message I got. The ISP did something and told me to open a new dial-up. Sometimes that doesn' work, so I would just re-install my modem driver. It's more work, but it works 100% of the time. ISP doesn't like the new tweaks, I guess.

gooding
10-06-00, 08:11 AM
Hey Puhbare,
The message I get back is " Failure to connect to remote computer. Unable to establish a connection." Nothing else, and it still persists. Thanks for the reply.

Suture
10-06-00, 09:30 AM
I work there. Give me some more information:
Modem type
NIC type (if applicable)
Has the service ever worked? If not, when was your Service Ready Date?
Are you getting an error #?
Do you have sync?

I'll look into it as soon as I see some more information.

gooding
10-06-00, 10:34 AM
Hi Suture,
My service has worked before, well at times. I have the Westell External modem, Linksys LNE100TX NIC card. I did get error # 629 when I used the BaNetDSL icon to access both service providers, to no avail. If you e-mail me, I can give you my account info. Thanks.
goodings@bellatlantic.net

Storm90
10-06-00, 11:08 AM
Try rebuilding the adapter in networksettings plus the TCp/Ip protoacol. This sometimes helps GoodLuck!

gooding
10-06-00, 11:24 AM
Storm90,
I think I can do that, but if you have a quick set of directions, it would be appreciated. Does this mean removing the adapter and reinstalling? Thanks.

gooding
10-06-00, 04:22 PM
glc1,
Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight.

Suture
10-06-00, 04:50 PM
I'd love to go into your account info and just call you and talk about this, but I'm not sure if I'm permitted. It's like lockdown here, no kidding. Does this happen often, the error 629? What version of WinPoet are you using? Is it 2.0? When did this problem start? I'm going home for the weekend, but feel free to e-mail me at siliconflesh@hotmail.com and I'll be happy to help you this weekend.

DWPAYNE197
10-06-00, 06:55 PM
I HAD SAME PROBLEM WITH FREE DSL, I DONT KNOW IF YOUR SYSTEMS THE SAME OR NOT. WITH FREE DSL YOU HAVE TO CONNECT WITH A STANDARD MODEM, THEN GO TO THE RUN MENU AND TYPE IN WINIPCFG, WHICH STANDS FOR WINDOWS IP CONFIGURE. WHAT THIS DOES IS GIVE YOU A LEASE ON THE SERVER, THE LEASE IS FOR USUALLY 12 HOURS, IF YOUR CONNECTED ALL THE TIME LIKE I AM IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY RENEW. IF YOU LOG OF OR SHUT YOUR COMPUTER OFF FOR A FEW DAYS YOU HAVE TO GO ONLINE WITH THE DIALUP AND RUN THAT PROGRAM AGAIN. THIS IS WHAT TECH SUPORT TOLD ME AT FREE DSL. I DONT KNOW IF YOUR IS THE SAME, IT MAY BE FOR ALL DSL SERVICES. HOPE THAT HELPS.

gooding
10-06-00, 09:51 PM
glc1,
Tried driver and adapter removal, to no avail. Getting pretty agitated, must be something hardware related, maybe. Thanks.

glc1
10-07-00, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by gooding:
Does this mean removing the adapter and reinstalling? Thanks.Yes, along w/the TCP/IP protocol. Make sure u remember/write down ur settings.