PDA

View Full Version : Is Earthlink DSL any good?

Bravefan
10-04-00, 04:23 PM
I have GTE cable modem(LANCity, 3 Megs a sec supposedly max). My pings to games are usually around 150-250, although at an excellent server I might get 100. My downloads are very inconsistent, going from 5kB to 280-kb a second. If it always worked, I might not be consaidering DSL, but it fails about 20% of the time. I was wondering if anyone had Earthlink DSL, and if so is it any good(i.e. what are your pings to games and download speeds)?

glc1
10-04-00, 04:31 PM
Run a search for Earthlink at www.dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com). This should return some reviews.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 10-04-2000).]

dannjr
10-04-00, 08:14 PM
Yes definitly do a search at dslreports.
Here's what I have from Mindspring/Earthlink.
My Pings are always consistant from 50ms to 125ms max I did have a problem one day where it jumped to a 1000ms but the changed out that problem with the roughter very quick.
I average a D/L rate of 1800.0kbps to 2400.0kbps down and 400+ up consistant unless the server I'm D/L from is having a problem. (Thats Tweaked)
I have been down once in the three months that I have had the service, but that was only for a hour do to equipment failier.
I was told by there techs that if I can tweak the connection to go higher go for it.
that was backed up by there boss's.
Can I say I'm happy YES
I do have 5 of these connections that I service other than my own can I say there happy four of these are in business's. They went out and got 5 more for ther homes.
I got refrenced for all of them Mindspring/Earthlink gives a $20.00 kicker to me for every account that signs up.
Dose that make me happy yes 15 more to go and I'm paid for the year.
The down side there are area's that Mindspring/Earthlink are having some problems but they tell you up front and they fix it.
Well before this gets to be to much like a commercial if your real interested in making the change there are some neat little tricks to get it done smooth.
If you decide to go there way email me.
dannjr@email.com

------------------

THE WORLDS THINNEST BOOK: THINGS I CAN'T BUY By Bill Gates

glc1
10-04-00, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by dannjr:
I average a D/L rate of 1800.0kbps to 2400.0kbps down and 400+ up consistant unless the server I'm D/L from is having a problem.Damn, that's good for DSL. What package do u have?

Bravefan
10-05-00, 10:29 PM
What service (speed) did you get? Thats fast.

PowerfullSquid
10-06-00, 03:07 PM
that is REALLY good for DSL,i also want to know what package you have.

[This message has been edited by PowerfullSquid (edited 10-06-2000).]

dannjr
10-06-00, 06:17 PM
Just there normal at home user 1.5Mbps package.
They have been real good in the support end also
The down side is that they won't fix your line till you drop below 256kbps or have a ping over 500ms but I havent had that type of problem. I did have one that was originally at 1200.0kbps and it dropped down to like 600 and they fixed it.
So it just gets back to who you talk to in tech.
They all have there moments but I think Mindspring/Earthlink knows there will be a new higher speed one day and they just look for some loyalty.
It also haelps being on the new Cisco routers and having Covad as the backbone and sprint lines for the network.
Covads been real good latley as a backbone and as long as sprint stays connected to the local telco its cool.

I think you get what I'm saying there are allot of factors that go into it....

------------------

THE WORLDS THINNEST BOOK: THINGS I CAN'T BUY By Bill Gates

glc1
10-06-00, 08:06 PM
If u have the 1.5mbps package, how can u get 2.4mbps?

dannjr
10-07-00, 03:53 PM
Apparently and according to Mindspring the sky is the limit I was told that if I tweak it and can get it go for it.
I did.
however this week a cisco router on our system blew up so the best I can get now until they replace it is 2.0Mbps
I posted a .jpg of this here http://microsyspro.com

Originally posted by glc1:
If u have the 1.5mbps package, how can u get 2.4mbps?