PDA

View Full Version : warning to those looking to get comcast@home

SS
10-04-00, 02:45 AM
In the Sacramento, CA area after 4 PM this connect is a load of BS...I ping 300-500ms to the third router which is c1-se10-0.snfcca1.home.net. Download speeds then seem to be capped at 25kbps. This doesn't end till usually after 2-3 AM. From 2-3 AM 'till about 3 PM is when its a good stable connection with good pings etc. That is a very unacceptable service. Not many people are up at 3 AM and leave for work later on in the morning, not returning till around 5, to a lame connection.

I would call tech support, but I've heard of the exact same thing happening to someone else in Canada with @home, too, but they refused to fix the problem. Anyone else with this type of problem? Suggestions?

mattyx
10-04-00, 10:45 AM
i am in folsom, and if i have the proxy on, i see the rate at about 30kbps. if i take it off it will go a lot faster, to certain sites.

the most annoying problem i have had is that in the morning and occasionally in the evening at peak time, i can't get to the gateway and just get shut out for a while. this is a dangerous thing if you are trying to trade stocks in the morning.

other than that it seems to work okay, but it is far from perfect.

SS
10-04-00, 09:12 PM
I've heard the only way to get @home to do anything about things like this is to call and be a pest about it. I haven't called yet, but I'm going to start. I'm near Carmichael. 2 months ago I was getting 20ms in q3 most of the time, and download speeds up to 320+k. I'd say it was about 3 weeks ago I started to get this unacceptable 25kbps and ping times twice that of dial-up. I've been on the waiting list for Pacbell DSL for 4+ months now...not as fast as cable, but a lot more stable. Cable here has been ugly about 60% of the time (or day),

c1-se10-0.snfcca1.home.net = 24.7.74.153.

GRIM
10-04-00, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by SS:
I've heard the only way to get @home to do anything about things like this is to call and be a pest about it.

Heh you would think so but I have been calling daily for 3 1/2 weeks to no avail
the techs arn't experienced, and their system is allways down so they cant trouble shoot.
but at least they are aware of it now and working on it? before my QIII pings were sub 50's now they are skyrocketed.

GRIM
10-04-00, 10:27 PM
Before 5pm
http://www.geocities.com/drk6x/14.JPG

[This message has been edited by GRIM (edited 10-04-2000).]

GRIM
10-04-00, 10:28 PM
After 5pm
http://www.geocities.com/drk6x/485.JPG

John
10-04-00, 10:28 PM
I have comcast@home and my speeds are great. Depends where you live!

GRIM
10-04-00, 10:30 PM
True indeed but the pings to the router shuold not get that high?

GRIM
10-04-00, 11:20 PM
Same here I live in Sac and had the service for 2 months now I started noticing it 4 weeks ago at around 4:30 pm pings go to hell
I have been calling daily to no avail I usually get the run around you know our system are down bit now that it is affecting more peeps mabey the will look into the matter because when it ws just me complaining the didnt do a dam thing some customer service eh?

GRIM
10-04-00, 11:23 PM
Hey SS what part of Sac you at man? and is the routers ip 24.7.74.153? before it use to
smoothe out around 2:30 am but lately its till 6 am before pings go back to normal then it acts up again at around 5pm Im located in the Florin Area with only 12 on the node

mattyx
10-05-00, 12:41 PM
do you guys get steady access? i mean, are there ever times when you just can't move on the internet at all?

or do you just slow down and speed up?

GRIM
10-05-00, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by mattyx:
do you guys get steady access? i mean, are there ever times when you just can't move on the internet at all?

or do you just slow down and speed up?

actually access is good and surfing is also good dont notice it much there but the ping factor is great which affects dloading and such

Cable Guy
10-05-00, 02:23 PM
Geez thats slow!

------------------
Its the cable guy!

PowerfullSquid
10-05-00, 02:34 PM
I have comcast@home and the speeds are great but when i play quake 2 sometimes i ping above 500 but then it stopped about a week ago and went back to normal but now it's not connecting at all and a tech is coming to figure out why i can't connect.if they can't get it working..im switching to Verizon ADSL only because it's more stable and my pings might not be as high.just thought i'd share.

dray_heinz
10-05-00, 05:20 PM
I have been experiencing the same problem in Sacramento. I just got my cable modem installed and have had it for about 2 weeks. I can get about 2mbps down during the day, but once it hits 3 or 4 in the afternoon it runs dog slow at between 200kbps-300kbps. I am going to talk with tech support tonight to try and see what I can do. And I am talking in bits not bytes http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

Originally posted by SS:
In the Sacramento, CA area after 4 PM this connect is a load of BS...I ping 300-500ms to the third router which is c1-se10-0.snfcca1.home.net. Download speeds then seem to be capped at 25kbps. This doesn't end till usually after 2-3 AM. From 2-3 AM 'till about 3 PM is when its a good stable connection with good pings etc. That is a very unacceptable service. Not many people are up at 3 AM and leave for work later on in the morning, not returning till around 5, to a lame connection.

I would call tech support, but I've heard of the exact same thing happening to someone else in Canada with @home, too, but they refused to fix the problem. Anyone else with this type of problem? Suggestions?

[This message has been edited by dray_heinz (edited 10-05-2000).]

wee96
10-05-00, 05:24 PM
I work for comcast@home http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif 5mbps down 1.5mbps up, wahoo! (yep, everyday all day)

------------------
"I accept the word of Satan"
-Deicide

HalfLifer
10-05-00, 06:19 PM
Damn you wee and your uncapped modem http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Im on same router as you and im capped at 16 KB/sec..and I barely hit 10..

GRIM
10-05-00, 06:24 PM
Real nice I'm glad for you man enjoy

Originally posted by wee96:
I work for comcast@home http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif 5mbps down 1.5mbps up, wahoo! (yep, everyday all day)

GRIM
10-05-00, 06:29 PM
Dont waiste your time man first you'll will be on hold for about a 1/2 hr or more then you will have the displesure of talking to the most unskilled cue card reading techs in the world
and this is if you are lucky I've been at it for 3 weeks now trust me. well its 4 30 pm and the pings are rising allready

Originally posted by dray_heinz:
I am going to talk with tech support tonight to try and see what I can do. And I am talking in bits not bytes http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

dray_heinz
10-05-00, 08:44 PM
When I called tech support, comcast had Sacramento listed as having problems. Dunno if it is always on their list in the evenings or not. Has anyone else called tech support in the evening to complain about the speeds?

GRIM
10-05-00, 09:40 PM
as of 3 days ago it has been on their list of problem areas

[This message has been edited by GRIM (edited 10-05-2000).]

dray_heinz
10-06-00, 01:36 PM
Hey Grim,

Have you talked with billing yet to see if they are charging us for this known downtime. I want some free service here if its going to be down every freakin night!!!

GRIM
10-06-00, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by dray_heinz:
Hey Grim,
Have you talked with billing yet !!!

yes I have and the have credited me allready
for the last 4 weeks of poor service.
heres an update on the situation just talked to them 5 mins ago tech's response after reading my ticket history "^#^$&^(*^()*)&^(&(*)". The are working on it as we speak it all points to a bad or overloaded router the
ip they claim is 24.7.74.154 but I usually get the high pings from 24.7.74.153 might not be in neumeric order. so all we can do is sit and wait arghhhhhhh!

mattyx
10-06-00, 05:27 PM
hello fellow sacramentans!

i must say, i had good service last night. i must go through a different router up here in folsom. hope it gets better for you.

i had issues for the last two weeks, so maybe they have fixed that and they have crept elsewhere in the area.

i am concerned that as cable service in area gets going, that service is going to go down the tubes. i was the first on my street to get it and now everybody is signing up. should be interesting.

SS
10-06-00, 06:49 PM
You mean it was actually fast after 4 PM for you? What kind of speed were you getting?

Anyway,
Could this really be just a traffic plagued router? I can't see how this could add up to just being a traffic jammed router, because it is ALWAYS consistant from 4 PM to 3 AM lagged with no breaks whatsoever in dl speed and ping times. And it shouldn't be hit with traffic that early in the morning.

Originally posted by mattyx:
hello fellow sacramentans!

i must say, i had good service last night. i must go through a different router up here in folsom. hope it gets better for you.

i had issues for the last two weeks, so maybe they have fixed that and they have crept elsewhere in the area.

i am concerned that as cable service in area gets going, that service is going to go down the tubes. i was the first on my street to get it and now everybody is signing up. should be interesting.

SS
10-06-00, 06:56 PM
also...dray_heinz, GRIM...you are not getting billed for downtime or just poor service? This has been bad enough to get a free month I wager...I wonder if I can cash in on that http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

GRIM
10-06-00, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by SS:
also...dray_heinz, GRIM...you are not getting billed for downtime or just poor service? This has been bad enough to get a free month I wager...I wonder if I can cash in on that http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif
SS I didnt even mention being credited to them they took it upon their selves to credit me probally out of pitty you know? I truley doubt the problem is due to an over loaded router because once it starts it stays constant then goes back to normal in the early morn this is quite perplexing also to the @home peeps it seems its a new problem to them also and they are ASS umeing on the soulutions during this process we suffer with dialup like features. During these times QIII servers that I normally ping sub 20ms to I now ping 300+ms at this point I will not call them anymore I will just hope that one day this will be fixed
ahhhh you got to love broad band ? WTF?

dray_heinz
10-06-00, 10:40 PM
Damn them!!!! The tech support people couldn't tell me what was wrong and said that they don't have access to figure out whats wrong with the damned service in Sacramento. They said that they may be able to contact the local people during normal business hours but there is no guarantee. Grim, how in the hell did you get a response that it was the router that is having problems?

GRIM
10-06-00, 11:07 PM
Like I said bro I have been calling them on a daily basic for about 3 1/2 weeks after the first week of getting no where with them I started trouble shooting my self I found that whilst performing tracert's to any server it is allways the third hop that the ping goes to hell on, once I noticed this I started pinging it very regularly, my findings were that at around 4 pm it would start rising from its normal ping of 14ms to about 100ms and would continue to rise as time went on. Which would max out at 400+ms when I mentioned it to them and gave them the ip the agreed. Seems like I had to offer some proof to prompt them?

mattyx
10-06-00, 11:10 PM
its 9:09, here are is my speed:

Starting download test
Http request: http://www.speedtest.net//speedtest/2meg.test
Http connection opened in 0 milliseconds
Test performed in 18130 milliseconds
Total bytes downloaded: 2097152 bytes
Throughput: 0.8825152 Mbps

not great, but acceptable.

service has been working great since the weekend.

is this good??

# Next Hop IP Times(ms) Total(ms)
------------------------------------------------
1 10.87.80.1 12,14,40 22
2 24.8.150.1 31,35,14 48
3 24.7.74.153 224,235,231 278
4 24.7.65.157 234,211,206 495
5 24.7.70.58 211,206,203 701
6 216.34.2.19 187,179,190 886
7 209.1.169.114 183,190,176 1069
8 209.1.169.166 268,271,280 1342
9 216.33.96.162 276,288,268 1619
10 216.33.98.11 244,234,237 1857
11 216.35.210.122 238,242,240 2097
12 216.32.74.50 239,229,228 2329

GRIM
10-06-00, 11:17 PM
Heh like I'm saying

3 24.7.74.153 224,235,231 278

GRIM
10-07-00, 06:38 PM
Had a cable guy come out today to check modem,lines,etc everything was clean.
Showed him my info on the suspected router
which I was pinging 485ms+ to at the time, he says very interesting, this explains a lot cause he has been getting a lot of workorders pertaining to slow speeds and high pings. and he has been racking his head trying to figure out whats up, he called it in like usual.The plot thickens, sit and wait I guess?????

SS
10-07-00, 10:45 PM
Honestly, I think very much they know/knew that the problem was with that router, otherwise they aren't very bright people if they can't figure that out on their own. They probably even know whats wrong with that routher, too, but just don't seem to want to take action. Maybe they are saving money or something. Hell, they have all those satisfied ex-AOL customers, why the hell should they care? We aren't the only one's in this boat. I heard that the same thing is happening to my friend in AZ. Could be some convenient bandwidth/money saving scheme http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

Originally posted by GRIM:
Had a cable guy come out today to check modem,lines,etc everything was clean.
Showed him my info on the suspected router
which I was pinging 485ms+ to at the time, he says very interesting, this explains a lot cause he has been getting a lot of workorders pertaining to slow speeds and high pings. and he has been racking his head trying to figure out whats up, he called it in like usual.The plot thickens, sit and wait I guess?????

GRIM
10-07-00, 11:13 PM
Well now that they are aware of the router
lets see how long they take to fix it.Fortunatley for me I will be moving to Roseville the land of fiber optics in about 2 months and my company will be supplying me with a T1 line (took me a year to convince them) but I would like to enjoy the cable connection while I'M still here or just be a thorn in their sides until the end heh!

dray_heinz
10-09-00, 10:24 PM
Well Grim and Everybody in Sac with Comcast@home,

I just got off with tech support earlier yet again and have actually gotten a response from somebody. She said that they have been doing upgrades on all of their servers for awhile now(This means taking them up and down). She told me that today was the scheduled date for this to be done. As of right now my speeds are the same as normal(slow as sh$%). She said they should be fine by tomorrow night and that there should be no problems with getting credited for this longggggg time that we have been experiencing problems. I am keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow I will not have to worry about it(but wont be surprised if its exactly the same).

GRIM
10-10-00, 02:57 AM
Hmmm I hope so will se tomorrow

dray_heinz
10-11-00, 12:06 PM
Well, as of last night I was dissapointed yet again. My speeds crawled to their low speeds again and by 8:00 my pings in counter-strike were up to 400-500. I am going to call tech support again for the 10,000th time. If I actually get a response other than they are working on it, I will post it. Can you guys let me know if you are running any better or not? Thanks

GRIM
10-11-00, 12:16 PM
got this from them this morning

'I am told that there is still a speed problem, and that the fix is on the way, apparently there is a card that was ordered and installed and as fate would have it, it is the wrong card for the system. I know this doesn't help right now but it is being attended to.

Data Tech 404'