PDA

View Full Version : Very Beginner in Networking

shahid
10-03-00, 05:41 PM
hi guys,
my name is shahid and i am very beginner in the field of networking or you can say that just trying to enter in this field. I just want somebody to hold my hand and let me in.
Now i am going to come to the real point. I have three computers at home and I want to share all the information and also want to share the internet connection through DSL. First of all is it possible that if i get one DSL connection can i share all the computer through it or if it is possible how many cable modem do i need and how many ip addresses do i have to get.cause I heard that for each computer, I need a seperate ip address. If somebody can help me please go ahead I would be very thankful to him. Thank you in advance.

------------------

ssjDoh
10-03-00, 05:51 PM
OK,
firs of all, Welcome to Speedguide!! http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

There's several ways to share your connection. ONe would be buying another IP address from you ISP and then you have 2 IPs (one fore each computer) but then you'll have to pay for more money http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/frown.gif

Another way (which I and sveral ppl here do) is to buy a router. The Linksys 4-port router is a good choice IMO. It will automatically assign each computer a diffrent IP so you can have all your computers on the internet. You don't need any extra modems. Just hook up all your computers to the router, and your modem to the router and all your computers will be in the net.

If I forgot something, plz add it http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

Bouncer
10-03-00, 05:51 PM
First things first.

HOME NETWORKING:
So you want to set up a home LAN for games and whatnot but are worried about people sneaking in? Well let's get you set up and secure! First, believe it or not, I would not install a password on my home computers for file and print sharing. It's just a bother and we're going to prevent internet access to your files anyways. First the steps, then the explanations. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

***DO NOT REBOOT UNTIL ALL THE STEPS ARE COMPLETED***

Home Networking in Five Steps:

A) Make sure that each computer has the same "Workgroup" name:
1) Click: Control Panel >>> Network >>> Identification tab.

B) If not listed in the Configuration screen, add NetBEUI. It's explained at the bottom if you want to know what NetBEUI is.
1) Click: Add >>> Protocol >>> Microsoft >>> NetBEUI

1) Now for the "Properties" of NetBEUI, make sure that Client for Microsoft
Networks and File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks ARE checked.

C) Enable "Sharing" for each drive.
1) On your desktop, click My Computer >>>
2) Click ONCE on the drive to be shared >>>
3) RIGHT-Click and select "Sharing" >>>
4) Check the "Shared As" box.

THE FOLLOWING PROVIDES INTERNET SECURITY:

D) DO NOT bind TCP/IP to file and print sharing:
1) Click: Control Panel >>> Network >>> Configuration tab.

For each mention of "TCP/IP":
1) Click "Properties".
2) Uncheck BOTH Client for Microsoft Networks and File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks.

E) CLOSE AND REBOOT.

From now on, if you want to see the other systems you will have to use a password when you start Windows. If you DON'T already have a logon password, the first time you re-start, you will be asked for one and whatever you put in there will be your password from then on. It IS case sensitive. If you DON'T enter the correct password or click cancel you will still get into Windows, but the local network (the other systems in your house) will NOT be accessible. It's a security issue. You must logon correctly to use Local network resources.

You should now be able to see each computer in Network Neighborhood. Click on the computer, and you should see the shared drives. Enjoy!

**Notes on what we just did and why we did it this way**

Step A:
Each computer MUST be in the same Workgroup. It IS case sensitive, so make sure the Workgroups are spelled exactly the same. "HomeNet" or "House" are good names, though it can be anything you want as long as it is identical on all the systems.

Step B:
So you know, NetBEUI is a non-routable protocol, which means it won't cross a
router, it is inherently more secure than TCP/IP for this reason. By enabling NetBEUI, and binding it to your File and Printer sharing AND DISABLING TCP/IP File and Printer sharing (See step D for more info), we ensure that your systems can share within the house, but people outside your LAN can't access these resources. In addition, NetBEUI is actually faster than TCP/IP, so it's more efficient to do it this way!

Step C:
Yes, you have to tell windows to give others access to your hard drives, and vice versa. Once it's shared to the network, all should be able to use it. If you only want to allow them to access a particular directory, you can do that as well.

Step D:
Understand, TCP/IP can be routed, which is why it is used on the Internet so much. However, it also means that if you bind File and Printer sharing to TCP/IP someone from Timbuktu could theoretically get access to your files. That's why we disable this protocol for File and Printer Sharing.

Regards,
-Bouncer-

------------------
"Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"

cablenut
10-03-00, 05:53 PM
Well first to share your connection over 3 computers your going to need a router. You were talking about having more then one ip address with the linksys router you won't need to purchase another ip to hook up the other computers.. Here is some information on the router (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5) their pretty cheap to about 150-190 bucks. mwave.com is where I ordered mine. What you do is when you get dsl/or cable hook the network cable that comes from the dsl/or cable modem into the WAN port of the router and then hook up the computers to the ports of the router (make sure you use cat5 ethernet cable) make sure you put automatically detect ip in the network settings on the computers. If their win98 machines in the control panel>network>tcp/ip settings make sure you put in the gateway server which should be the gateway ip address of the linksys router which would be 192.168.1.1. Ok now onto setting up the router. How you access the router is by typing its ip address in internet explorer or netscape. Like my router ip address is 192.168.1.1 so I type that and then enter my admind password which is admin. Then boom im in the settings Put all the needed info into the first page like dns/subnet(which is 255.255.255.0)/domain name (if your using @home its @home domain)/router name (if your using @home they have a router name they give you) under gateway make sure you get the gateway ip address from them to. Then click apply. then go to the dhcp tab and make sure to put how many dhcp users are using the touer so say if you had 3 computers using the touer it would be 3 dhcp users. Then hit apply. If you get dsl you can also setup ppoe within that to hit apply and everything should work!!. Don't use the nic the cable company or dsl company gives you their crappy make sure they do't use usb adapters either. Intel has a server nic that is 49$ for 2 of them which is pretty good (http://www.adviceforpcs.com/network/selected.asp?SessionID=313767601393572281&ParentCategoryID=324&CategoryID=326&ProductID=1459&Referrer=category.asp) Hope that helped you!!

Bouncer
10-03-00, 06:03 PM
So how do we hook up all this stuff and share access to the internet?

There's a couple of different ways, but I'll go into the most direct.

You'll need a home router. There is a review here at speedguide (accessible from the front page) of a ZyXel P310 which works very well. There is also a Review of a Linksys router. Each has it's plus and minuses.
The ZyXel has more features but is more expensive.
The Linksys is less expensive but some people report problems with them, especially for gaming.

A Third option I want to mention is the NetGear RT314. It is a rebadged ZyXel but is significantly less expensive. Same insides, different outsides, lower price. The RT314 also has a built in 4 port switch.

You simply run a Category 5 (CAT5) networking cable from each of the computers to the switch, and then one to the router (last cable not necessary with the RT314). Voila' They are all connected.

Go here for more info on the RT314. http://www.practicallynetworked.com/reviews/netgear_rt314.asp

Regards,
-Bouncer-

------------------
"Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"

ssjDoh
10-03-00, 06:28 PM
Bouncer, you're back!!!

Well, I haven't noticed your post in a while...

Zporttech
10-03-00, 09:17 PM
Bouncer,

Thanks for the very informative instructions on home networking. It was just what I needed to get my network completed!

Maybe now I can be a little better "rookie networker"

------------------
Steve
www.zport.com

John
10-03-00, 09:33 PM
A Third option I want to mention is the NetGear RT314. It is a rebadged ZyXel but is significantly less expensive. Same insides, different outsides, lower price. The RT314 also has a built in 4 port switch

As does the ZyXEL p314, and IMO looks better than the netgear. Again, same insides.- $175
http://networking.speedcorp.net/reviews/prestige314.shtml

[This message has been edited by John (edited 10-03-2000).]

Bouncer
10-03-00, 11:14 PM
Thanks. http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

Work and life have been intruding (darn pesky having to work!) But I'm finally able to actually clear some time now.

-B-

------------------
"Yeah Baby, YEAH!!!"