PDA

View Full Version : NODES!! PLEASE HELP!!

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 12:50 PM
I need to know how to figure out what node I am on.Someone out there please help! I am using Comcast @home if that helps any.Also,I am experiencing an outage according to two @home techs and one said that I am experiencing an outage and my friends are not because I am on a diffeent node than them,so if I can figure out how to find out my node and possibly ask @home if I can get a new one then i can use @home.It's been out for 3 days straight now.I am finally understanding the problem with @home..hehe...i am using 56k dial up right now with another service until i get @home working.

glc1
10-03-00, 01:18 PM
I think the only way is to ask @home, I doubt they will tell u or move u, though. The node may not be the cause of the problems ur having. It could be a router or something else, or maybe something on ur end.

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 10-03-2000).]

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 01:22 PM
if it is the router how do i fix that problem?

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 01:28 PM
what exactly is a router anyway? is it the modem itself? a hub? i know alot of stuff in some subjects but not in the cable modem hardware subject..hehe..so plese help out

glc1
10-03-00, 01:34 PM
U can't, anything that's on their end they have to fix and the only way they will atempt to fix it is if u get on them and stay on them until action is taken. As soon as u have probs, call, email, basically be a nuisance. Trust me, I know b/c I've had major packet loss probs w/my gateway for about 3 weeks and got on them about it for the last week or so (called and emailed every day) and now it seems to be all fixed. Now I don't know for sure if they actually took action and fixed the problem, but it's fixed, for now. What do u mean by "It's been out for 3 days straight?" U have lost sync for 3 days or what?

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 01:43 PM
well i've called them the past 2 days and i will continue to call them until it's fixed and will start e-mailing them as well.what i mean when i say it's been out for 3 days straight is that saturday night i was connected then i restarted and it stopped working and hasnt started working since then.so what i mean is exactly what i said...i can not and still can not connect to @home since then.this may help some too.staurday night i installed a voodoo card,took the NIC out switched to a different slot,switched hard drives with another computer,then i connected all the cables and did everything right and made sure all the network settings were correct and they were and i couldn't connect to @home after that but everything seems to be the same as it was before i switched hard drives or moved the NIC or installed the voodoo so i don't know what the damn problem is.also sunday morning i tried connecting with my other system to @home and it connected for about 4 hours fine then i restarted that one,this time all i did was restart i didn't screw around with any of the hardware,and it stopped conecting to @home.

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 01:45 PM
i also installed all the correct drivers for everything(including the NIC)after i switched hard drives and installed the voodoo and switched the NIC to a different slot.

glc1
10-03-00, 01:49 PM
R u losing sync at all when this happens?

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 01:52 PM
again...i feel stupid asking this but,whats sync?

glc1
10-03-00, 01:57 PM
The connection between u and ur provider. If u lose sync, then ur losing contact w/ur provider. This is usually do to a weak signal on ur end or some problem that ur provider's having. There should be a cable or sync light on ur modem. If it blinks, u have lost sync and it is trying to regain sync. If it is solid, then u have sync.

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 02:01 PM
i know what you mean now.i have sync according to the light on the modem box,and the whole time i can't connect to @home the light's been solid and hasnt blinked once.

glc1
10-03-00, 02:13 PM
Ok, then something else is the prob. U may have probs w/packet loss like I did. If u get enough packet loss between u and ur gateway, u won't be able to go anywhere. If this isn't the prob, then it might be a hardware conflict (eg. the NIC that ur using doesn't like something else that is in ur system or u have an IRQ conflict). First, try pinging ur gateway.

To find ur gateway: Start Menu -> Run, type "command" (for Win9x) or "cmd" (for Win2k), then type "winipconfig /all" (for Win9x) or "ipconfig /all" (for Win2k). Find ur cable modem's NIC and find the "Default Gateway." Now type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is ur default gateway. U should see a bunch of stats. A "Request timed out" indicates packet loss.

U may have to ping ur gateway a while (like 50 or 100 times) so a pattern has time to develope b4 any conclusions can be made. To do this, type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -n 100" again where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is ur default gateway.

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 02:20 PM
it said request timed out.how do i fix a packet loss? also should i have disconected from my dial up service when i did it? cuz i did it while i was online or does it not matter whether im online or not?

glc1
10-03-00, 02:22 PM
Yeah, u need to do all of this when u r online via @home, not ur dialup. If ur @home connection is still down u need to wait until it comes back b4 finding ur gateway and pinging it. In the mean time, call them and complain that it's down again http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 02:25 PM
yes i'm pretty positive it's still down...should i get off my dial up service and try it again?

glc1
10-03-00, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by PowerfullSquid:
yes i'm pretty positive it's still down...should i get off my dial up service and try it again?Yeah, if u fell like it.

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 02:34 PM
i got off and tried it but it still said the same thing.im gonna get off again and call them about it and complain.thanks for your help

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 03:12 PM
i called them back and they said that my node was experiencing an outage and they explained to me that every street has a node so that's why my friends,who are on different streets,can get on and not me.they also said they have techs all over fixing the nodes...i'm probably going to be the last person to get it fixed..i'm like the only one on my street that has @home and it's a small ass street..it has like 10-12 houses on it.

Kip Patterson
10-03-00, 03:23 PM
You were given some bad information. Nodes are a part of the cabling system, they are there to supply TV service, and the cable modems are just along for the ride. It would be extremely unusual to see a fiber node with only 10 or 12 houses on it. It's more like one node per neighborhood, feeding coax serving perhaps 500 homes. In Columbus, for example, there are around 70 modems on the average on a node, so that's probably 250 tv sets. (I've forgotten the accurate numbers on the TV side).

glc1
10-03-00, 03:28 PM
Kip is right. Nodes r a lot bigger than that. However, the node that ur on could still be down.

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 03:28 PM
ok i have another question now...my friend who also has @home lives about 4 blocks away so would he be on my node or not because he can connect and i can't and if there's an outage on my node would the tv sets be staticy or not?

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 03:30 PM
all i know is that my nodes experiencing an outage and there hopefully working on it and should/better be up by the en dof this week.

Kip Patterson
10-03-00, 04:46 PM
It's hard to say whether he's on the same node with you or not. The problem may not be with the node, it may be with an amplifier between you and the node.

If there is a complete outage on your node, then you would have no tv. But, the outage may be in the upstream direction, in which case the only thing affected would be your set-top box, if you have one.

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 06:27 PM
what's a set-top box?

Kip Patterson
10-03-00, 06:45 PM
Your cable tv tuner. Sorry about that. The thingy that your remote control talks to. Not sure of the correct terminology, I don't do video.

PowerfullSquid
10-03-00, 06:51 PM
i don't have a set-top box or whatever it's called..so the only thing i can see wrong is the node is still down but i have another friend that i just found has comcast@home too and he lives 2 blocks away and he's not down. wouldn't he be down too if the node's down because he's really not that far away to be on a different node

tc720
10-05-00, 06:27 AM
they're lying to you, if your node was down, you wouldn't be in sync, your modem lights would be blinking, somethings wrong and its not in the cable signal. bottom line, if the modems in sync, 9 times out of ten your signal is fine . for the modem to sync you have to have the same two way communication it takes for surfing the internet. call them back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Home Tech, Ft. Worth, Tx

PowerfullSquid
10-05-00, 02:09 PM
OK thanks for the advice.i called them back and they are sending someone here to my house saturday to look at the modem,signals,my computer and etc. hopefully i'll be back up saturday afternoon.if not..i might switch to DSL,not as fast but good enough to play games which is what i really want my cable for.

thuggish
10-05-00, 08:05 PM
Squid are your modem lights all solid...cause the same thing happened to me but i would just loose connection for 12 hours at a time. Which then it would come back on and then go back off another 6 or so hours later...this was going on for 2 months and finally i got a tech that saw it happen and he ran tests...which they said they will talk to the engineers...After about 3 more times i had the tech out he finally said that its something with the router which they are finding out..that was 4 weeks ago and now i haven't been down since..but the connection sucks at Night..so that might be the problem that happens there. What the tech said was the Buffer Server would get overflowed and kick someone off at random...i don't know if that is the real reason but that might be something to ask

slick
10-05-00, 08:40 PM
hey squid, you dont think you screwed up your computer sat nite when you tore down your pc and changed stuff. i bet you go into device manager youll find some conflicts on your nic card.those nics are real choosy about what slot they go in sometimes. if you got all your modem lites your node aint down.

PowerfullSquid
10-05-00, 09:16 PM
first,the lights are all solid and i was up until 1 am saturday waiting to get on and was never able to get on.the next two days i tried getting on all day straight and could not.this friday night i will stay up until about 4 am trying to get on,if i can get on then i guess it's down 18 hours a day and only 6 hours of the day i'm sleeping as you said happend to you thuggish.secondly i went into device manager and checked and there are no conflicts at all.even the techs i've called said to check and every time i check there are never any conflicts.they said they think the problem is that the ethernet card went bad and when the other tech comes to check out my problem,he will try another ethernet card and if it still doesn't work,then he'll check some other problems and see what's up.if it's not the node,then i guess theres a problem on my end and hopefully a new ethernet will fix my problems.

glc1
10-05-00, 09:38 PM
Depending on when the tech is scheduled to show (i.e. u don't want to wait a week for the tech and be w/o net access), u may want to borrow a NIC from a friend, or buy one and return it if u can't get it to work or if you want to keep the one that the tech brings.

powerfulsquid
10-05-00, 09:42 PM
he's coming this staurday between 12-2PM so i will be able to stay up until 4AM and see if i can get on @home and if not i can still get some sleep before he comes.so i called wednesday,yesterday,and he couldve came tomorrow,friday,but i couldn't be home,so i think that's fairly fast for them to get someone over here.2-3 days.

PowerfullSquid
10-05-00, 09:43 PM
woops,i used my other name.it's still me just different spelling and different capitalization,hehe.

glc1
10-05-00, 11:38 PM
Why do u have 2 user names?

PowerfullSquid
10-06-00, 01:55 PM
two different e-mail addresses,i think,i didn't feel like checking and i still don't feel like checking and i still don't know if that one uses a different e-mail address than this one,so i said screw it,and made a new one,it only took like 30 seconds.