PDA

View Full Version : @home tech says @home not compatable with win me

tissueguy
10-03-00, 01:35 PM
Hey...I posted yesterday about win me not accepting drivers for an @home usb adapter...and after much horseing around with @home techs one finally admitted that @ home is NOT compatable with win me if you go thru a usb port....must use a nic card...I had 3 other techs tell me differant...what a run-around....just thought you all would like to know.

glc1
10-03-00, 01:40 PM
The USB adapter that ur ISP uses may not have drivers for WinMe, but I'm sure other USB adaters do by now. That's what happens when ISPs use cheaper, non-brand name products. Besides, the NIC/external modem combo is the best way to go. R they going to give u a NIC or do u have to buy one?

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 10-03-2000).]

tissueguy
10-03-00, 02:04 PM
They will come and install for free...they claim they do support win me...so they have to get me up and going...until then back to win 98.....they really should have been ready for the release of win me.

glc1
10-03-00, 02:13 PM
They should be using NICs to begin w/instead of those cheap USB modems and USB adapters. They only reason why they use them is b/c it is easier for them to install.

tissueguy
10-03-00, 06:24 PM
Why is a nic better than a usb connection.....just curious.

Mike656
10-04-00, 12:22 AM
Because you can hook the CableModem to a Hardware router like the LinkSys one.

glc1
10-04-00, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Mike656:
Because you can hook the CableModem to a Hardware router like the LinkSys one.

Ah, I think ur a little confused. USB network adapters serve the same purpose as NICs - networking comps on a LAN, hooking up cable/DSL modems, etc. NICs r better b/c they have less compatibility probs and seem to perform better. ISP's sometimes use USB network adapters instead of NICs b/c they r cheaper and easier to install b/c they r external and just plug into a USB port. If u plug ur modem into a router, like the ever so popular Linky, then u still need a network adapter of some kind on each system that u want to connect to the router.

emixnem
09-30-03, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by tissueguy
Why is a nic better than a usb connection.....just curious.

cyberskye
09-30-03, 11:38 AM
@home tech says @home not compatable with win me

I didn't ME was compatible with anything - nor @home, either.