PDA

View Full Version : IE 5.5 DOWNGRADE

freckmoto
10-02-00, 06:31 PM
After installing IE 5.5 I noticed a small slowdown in my cable connection. I tried downloading the install for IE 5 and it won't install. It says "Setup has detected a newer version of IE Cannot contiue." Anyone got a fix? Thankyou very much.

Max

glc1
10-02-00, 06:36 PM
Yeah, IE 5.5 seems to be slower w/a lot of little bugs. Try uninstalling it using Add/Remove under the Control Panel. I think u can only do this if u chose to backup ur original config during the installation of 5.5.

64bit
10-03-00, 06:03 AM
Ya I can tell ya the next time I have to Format C: I will definetly be installing 5.01 and thats it. Also be forwarned that there is usually a whole lotta bulls_h_i_t involved with uninstalling IE. Not for the faint of heart!!!

glc1
10-03-00, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by 64bit:
Also be forwarned that there is usually a whole lotta bulls_h_i_t involved with uninstalling IE. I didn't have any prob uninstalling IE 5.5. I just used Add/Remove from the Control Panel.

Jinx
10-04-00, 03:39 AM
You can remove IE 5.5 from your system and return to the version your copy of Windows came with. You go to add remove programs, select IE 5.5, and click add remove.
When you do, you will be prompted with 3 choices. Select "return Internet Explorer to it's previous configuration" and that will restore it. If it is not listed in the first tab, go to the Windows Setup tab and remove IE, then reinstall it. Needless to say, you do need you Windows cd to do this.

[This message has been edited by Jinx (edited 10-04-2000).]

64bit
10-04-00, 06:01 AM
I didn't have any prob uninstalling IE 5.5. I just used Add/Remove from the Control Panel.

I guess the reason I say that is because I uninstalled IE5.5 on my moms PC and I swear every app from MS that uses HTML started bitchin(MSWorks Suite2000 in paticular). plus it really did a number with SFC I got so frustrated I just started a whole new log! Just my 2cents http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by 64bit (edited 10-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 64bit (edited 10-04-2000).]

freckmoto
10-04-00, 05:03 PM
I tried to, however there is not entry in the add remove programs. I'll just deal with it, its not all that bad.

Thankyou for all of your help.

Max

glc1
10-04-00, 05:43 PM
I remember coming accross a post not too long ago about a hidden IE tool that alows you to restore IE to a previous config. Let me see if I can find that post...