PDA

View Full Version : waiting for ever!

sldhd
10-01-00, 12:57 AM
how come sometimes it takes 30 seconds or more to open a page,and then other times no waiting at all.i've tried all the tweaks.i have DSL,downloading programs is fast it just when i'm surfing its erratic. could IE 5.5 be screwing me up?i like the features of 5.5. any info would help thanks!

Airwolf
10-01-00, 01:45 AM
Same here I have tryed to find some tweeks to stop the freezing at times. I downloads fast but at times i get delay (freeze) from web page to page. Once I hit control,alt delete and it says enternet(not responding)

glc1
10-01-00, 02:20 AM
It could be IE 5.5 b/c there has been a lot of IE 5.5 related probs recently. Airwolf, do u mean ur computer feezes at times or ur connection just goes slow?

fubarman
10-01-00, 06:01 PM
What speed dsl do you have and what are your computer specs? This info would help.

-----------------
http://www.clark.net/pub/webbge/jnov9802.gif

We Love you Jon

rfdavis
10-12-00, 02:15 PM
I can't complain about the u/d speeds part of DSL. I get dl speeds averaging 1.2mbs with the Navas patch setting the r-win to 32767, however, I've had a long futile battle with slow web page loads and absolutely no success in improving that problem. My setup is:
CompaqPresario Model 5BW5000T ,PIII 733MHz,128MB,20.0GB with Windows 98 SE,Alcatel Home Speed Touch modem, Enternet
100 v1.3, and Linksys LNE 100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter. New computer, however, I experienced the same problems with my old computer plus a 30 trial of a Dell which was returned.
Would love to have any suggestions on how to speed up the other half of DSL.

glc1
10-12-00, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by rfdavis:
I've had a long futile battle with slow web page loads and absolutely no success in improving that problem. Have u tried the "SpeedGuide Web Patch" from here (http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_modems/cable_patches.shtml)?

[This message has been edited by glc1 (edited 10-12-2000).]

shaka
10-12-00, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by sldhd:
how come sometimes it takes 30 seconds or more to open a page,and then other times no waiting at all.i've tried all the tweaks.i have DSL,downloading programs is fast it just when i'm surfing its erratic. could IE 5.5 be screwing me up?i like the features of 5.5. any info would help thanks!

do you mean that if you click on a link that it may take several seconds for the connection to get started? if so, then i had a similar problem and here is how i resolved it. under internet options/ connection, are you on "never dial a connection"? i found that some sites switch this to "dial whenever a connection is not present" and it really slows down the connection. it seems to happen when i connect to yahoo. by checking the "never dial" button, all the links speed up again.

Andrew
10-12-00, 06:27 PM
yep shaka your right. I did that along time ago and noticed a big diffrence. :-)

-Andrew

dray_heinz
10-12-00, 07:21 PM
With IE5.5 on the first web page loadup after you have just opened the software it takes alot longer to detect you proxy settings (if you are automatically detecting a proxy). After that it should run fine. This may not be it, just throwin out there as an IE5.5 feature.

Airwolf
10-12-00, 10:17 PM
Yes i did the web patch and microsoft patch didnt help either but I did find out the using netscape(hate netscape tho) I never have a freeze.(connection freeze) And connect is never dial a connection. Thnx tho

ct106
10-12-00, 11:17 PM
a few people i know have had the same problem when they upgraded to 5.5..after calling microsoft. etc.. two of them reinstalled ie5.01 and everythings working normal again. could just be a bug with the browser.