PDA

View Full Version : Do i really need the amplifier for my connection??

shant
09-30-00, 05:15 PM
hey guys

two weeks ago, before they came to my house and replaced the drop underneath my driveway, the cable modem installer installed an amplifier for my cable signal. Well, now i have the new drop. But i also am still using the amp. Can this cause an adverse affect on my connection?? Some people have stated that my power level is too high (9 dmbv) and thus i am wondering if the amp is causing this...

thanks to all who reply

glc1
09-30-00, 05:27 PM
Well, if everything is working now and ur speeds r good and ur happy w/the service, y remove it?

pmcartney
10-08-00, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by shant:
hey guys

two weeks ago, before they came to my house and replaced the drop underneath my driveway, the cable modem installer installed an amplifier for my cable signal. Well, now i have the new drop. But i also am still using the amp. Can this cause an adverse affect on my connection?? Some people have stated that my power level is too high (9 dmbv) and thus i am wondering if the amp is causing this...

thanks to all who reply

I use a bidirectional amp. Got better speed.
Leave it!!

--Rich

wee96
10-08-00, 10:21 AM
The only problem with amps is they create line noise via AC. If your not getting any packet loss, and your speeds are good, keep it on. If you notice packet loss, the amp is the cause. You shouldnt need an amp if youve got a direct drop from the tap, although I dont know how many times its split to get to your modem.

------------------
"I accept the word of Satan"
-Deicide

therealcableguy
10-10-00, 09:22 PM
With the new drop in place I doubt that you need the amp,however, it should not cause a problem.Don't worry about it!