PDA

View Full Version : is the radeon 9800 loud? and the P4 3.2 ghz Stock fan, is it loud?



Aznboy
02-21-04, 10:30 PM
i am wondering, my friend built a system with a P4 2.6 GHz ht and with the Radeon9800Pro. He says his computer gets loud doing, any time that its not idle. (for instance, just doing apps or movies, the computer gets loud) Is this because of bot the CPU fan and the GC fan? Will my Radeon9800Pro and 3.2GHz P4 HT stock fan(coming soon) be loud? Which one is louder? If quietness is a factor in my computer, which one should i consider getting replacement cooling?

Evilone
02-22-04, 01:20 AM
i got a p4 3.0 ht @ 3.4 with stock hsf and the fan is quite, stays at around 2800rpms and at 33c idle and around 40c underload. I got a sapphire 9800 pro and my system didn't get any louder when i put it in if that helps any

zooner
02-22-04, 02:12 AM
nope.

not loud.

Aznboy
02-22-04, 12:42 PM
are the wdraptor 36GBs loud? if i had a Radeon9800, a 3.2 GHz stock fan and a wdraptor, which part would be the most noticeable when using computer

TrevGlas
02-22-04, 01:21 PM
The fan.... but it is still not very loud

Jeremy
02-22-04, 01:55 PM
i'm more sensitive to higher-pitched noises. my desktop with a single 7200rpm drive is more annoying than the case fan and cpu fan both spinning at about 2600-3000rpm. i suspect raptors favour performance over acoustics, being classified as "enterprise" drives. i would rather have a 5000rpm AMD fan that blocks out the drive noise.

TrevGlas
02-22-04, 01:59 PM
I don't even hear my hard drive... even with accoustic management off.

Brent
02-22-04, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Aznboy
i am wondering, my friend built a system with a P4 2.6 GHz ht and with the Radeon9800Pro. He says his computer gets loud doing, any time that its not idle. (for instance, just doing apps or movies, the computer gets loud) Is this because of bot the CPU fan and the GC fan? Will my Radeon9800Pro and 3.2GHz P4 HT stock fan(coming soon) be loud? Which one is louder? If quietness is a factor in my computer, which one should i consider getting replacement cooling?

neither is loud

your friend is on dope

Aznboy
02-22-04, 06:08 PM
thx. im thinking is it his case fans that get really loud on his comp?

YeOldeStonecat
02-22-04, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Aznboy
i am wondering, my friend built a system with a P4 2.6 GHz ht and with the Radeon9800Pro. He says his computer gets loud doing, any time that its not idle. (for instance, just doing apps or movies, the computer gets loud) Is this because of bot the CPU fan and the GC fan? Will my Radeon9800Pro and 3.2GHz P4 HT stock fan(coming soon) be loud? Which one is louder? If quietness is a factor in my computer, which one should i consider getting replacement cooling?

Have a 9800p 256, WD Raptor, and stock Intel HSF on my P4c....in an Antec Sonata case.

The loudest part is the Radeon.

WD Raptor I only hear spinning up on post (SCSI like power on sound) on those rare reboots I do...normal activity is not noticable.

Intel HSF...eh, relatively quiet.

TrevGlas
02-22-04, 09:27 PM
Does he have an auto-adjusting fan plugged into a temp diode? My cpu fan has the option of plugging it into one of those... it adjusts how fast the fan spins based on temperature...

Brent
02-22-04, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Aznboy
thx. im thinking is it his case fans that get really loud on his comp?

case fans can get really loud, yes

depends what brand and the specs are on the fans

sunon 80mm fans are very very loud in my experience

zooner
02-22-04, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Brent
case fans can get really loud, yes

depends what brand and the specs are on the fans

sunon 80mm fans are very very loud in my experience

yeah.

Two of my fans are sunon, but they do sure do blow a lot of air.

aagiants
02-23-04, 12:31 AM
just unplug the CASE fans and see what happens to the noise level