PDA

View Full Version : purchased a mx500, so what's the deal?

zooner
02-18-04, 05:07 PM
so, what's the deal with the mx500 and mx700 series? I purchased one a couple of minutes ago from amazon for 40-20GC-10MIR=$10

are they as good as i've heard for gamin?

Brent
02-18-04, 05:28 PM
yes

i've got the mx700 on my primary system, had it for 6 months, and you know how much gaming i do

this is simply the best mouse i have ever owned, period

zooner
02-18-04, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Brent
yes

i've got the mx700 on my primary system, had it for 6 months, and you know how much gaming i do

this is simply the best mouse i have ever owned, period

thanks.

looking forward to getting rid of this microsoft optical basic, it's a little bit too small for my hands.

Mytflyguy
02-18-04, 09:21 PM
I love my Mx500 I got a few weeks ago ... Thought really hard about the 700 but decided I didnt' need to spend the extra $20 for a mouse that I will need to recharge every night and won't be able to use more than a few hours on weekends

Brent
02-18-04, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Mytflyguy
I love my Mx500 I got a few weeks ago ... Thought really hard about the 700 but decided I didnt' need to spend the extra $20 for a mouse that I will need to recharge every night and won't be able to use more than a few hours on weekends

you don't have to recharge it every night

and recharging it isn't a chore or anything since the reciever sits on your desk, you can have it as close as you want it to you, all you gotta do is drop the mouse in the cradle, there is no plugging anything in at all, just pick up your mouse, drop it in the cradle, that easy

you can pick it up anytime

Mytflyguy
02-18-04, 10:26 PM
From what I read in several places it only has a battery life of about 3 hours use .... Was that incorrect ?

Brent
02-18-04, 10:42 PM
From what I read in several places it only has a battery life of about 3 hours use .... Was that incorrect ?

that was way incorrect

I use this thing on my primary computer man, and my primary computer is my job basically, i'm at this computer like all day.

The longest i've used this mouse without re-charging is 3 days. And I am a heavy user.

An average person might be able to push it to 4 days and a light user to 5 days without re-charging possibly.

But anytime your not using your computer, or when you go to bed at night just slap it in the craddle, its no big thing. Takes me literally 2 seconds to slap it in the craddle and walk away.

You don't have to wait for it to get to a full charge either if you wanna use it, just grab it and use it.

Like i said, on a full charge it lasted me 3 days, but since i'm a heavy user that was about its limit. It started flashing on me on the third day in the evenning time, which meant i had about an hour of usage left on it.

I just make sure to put it in the craddle when i go to bed every night, and i haven't had it run down on me since then.

It only takes a couple of hours completely drained to re-charge completely full.

I've been using this mouse and wireless keyboard for 6 months now.

I wouldn't switch to anything else, by far the best keyboard/mouse combo i've ever used.

Oh and BTW I'm on the SAME two AA batteries on this keyboard that I put in it 6 months ago. They haven't run out at ALL. That is just simply awesome.

Mytflyguy
02-19-04, 05:29 AM
Wow ... Guess those other reviews I read were off ... 3 days isn't too bad ... So It's not like Phone battery or anything where you're suppose to run it completely down then ?

One thing I liked about my MS Blue mouse is it lasted me a good 3-4 months before needed the batteries replaced .... But it broke after 6 months ...

YeOldeStonecat
02-19-04, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by zooner

are they as good as i've heard for gamin?

The main point I like about it, is the size. I have big hands, and the MX series IMO is great for peeps with big hands. It's somewhat ergonomic for right handers, with that "slanted to the right shape." So that's a big plus for me...the oversize, and ergonomic shape of it.

For gaming, yes it's pretty smooth, precise. One thing I don't like about optical mice is when one is circle strafing, they don't work as well as a ball mouse. Another thing I don't like...is say in games like bf'42, when you're in a tank, and you have to swing that turret around fast...with a ball mouse, you can do that sideways motion hard, and the momentum of the ball which keeps rolling will keep your turret turning. With the optical mouse, you don't get that, it stops right away until you lift, plop down, and move again. You don't get that "momentum" built up. So there was a big negative for me.

But on the plus side of that, I'd have to clean my ball mouse every few days, get that oil/lint off the rollers inside that it picks up from the mouse pad from the sweat/oils of your hand. To me that was a big plus...as my hands sweat quite a bit, and that built up crud always annoyed me, often building up and needing a cleaning right in the middle of a game.

I have the MX500, it's wired. I found one thing...it's heavier than a regular mouse...and another thing when gaming, especially noticable when you're doing levels in the tanks...what I mentioned above with the turret movement...your right hand gets really tired. All other things like foot movement, it's fine, but the added weight when you're doing a long tank level like 73 Easting...yeah you'll feel it. The MX700 I'm sure is a bit heavier due to batteries. Just a thought. So the weight was another negative for me...most likely not an issue for most, but those who love good tank battles such as in bf'42...you'll notice it. Nothing to do with how big and strong you are, it's a precision repetitive motion thing with your right hand (someone's bound to take that sentence and run with it...LOL).

I haven't tried the mx700 for gaming, or what's their upper model, the mx900 (bluetooth?), so I don't know what kind of response times they have. I know I don't use my Microsoft wireless mouse on my gaming rig, tried it, don't like it. I'm sure Logitech did a better job, there has to be a whisker of latency...just by design, but if it's noticable or not, dunno. Probably depends on the player, and his/her tolerances.

Mytflyguy
02-19-04, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Another thing I don't like...is say in games like bf'42, when you're in a tank, and you have to swing that turret around fast...with a ball mouse, you can do that sideways motion hard, and the momentum of the ball which keeps rolling will keep your turret turning. With the optical mouse, you don't get that, it stops right away until you lift, plop down, and move again. You don't get that "momentum" built up. So there was a big negative for me.

My one complaint as well ... I thought that maybe it was just my mouse sensitivity or something .... Swinging those turrest around takes a long time .... Glad I'm not the only one ... Sad I can't change a setting .. lol

I've heard other comment on the wight ... With my MX500 I don't notice the weight at all ... Maybe I just don't pay attention to it ... or maybe I haven't played the game long enough straight ( as long as I've played if I remember correctly is 4 hour striaght ) . I would also imagine the MX 700 is much heavier ...

YeOldeStonecat
02-19-04, 07:09 AM
... With my MX500 I don't notice the weight at all ... Maybe I just don't pay attention to it ... or maybe I haven't played the game long enough straight ( as long as I've played if I remember correctly is 4 hour striaght ) . I would also imagine the MX 700 is much heavier ...

That's the only thing I've noticed the weight in....bf'42...and only levels where I like using the tank for the entire level. Namely 73 Easting. You guys know I love sitting behind the sandbags in one corner in a T-72....commanding that approach area with a wide sweep. I also notice it a bit in Tobruk...where I enjoy overlooking the battlefield in the mobile howitzer.

Needlefreak
02-19-04, 08:27 AM
I just bought two MX700 on Sunday...My wifes lasted 3 days before needing to charge and I have no Idea what mine is yet cuz I constantly place it in the charger,like during DC when a level end and the maps are changing...My only problem so far is real inaccurate movement of the crosshairs in games BUT I think it may be my mousing surface also because ive heard nothing but good bout this mouse...I had wanted to pick up a Ratpad but with my car troubles the extra $$$ I was gonna throw at the server and a few other comp thing(vid card) is now a dream...

Brent
02-19-04, 09:09 AM
Wow ... Guess those other reviews I read were off ... 3 days isn't too bad ... So It's not like Phone battery or anything where you're suppose to run it completely down then ?

One thing I liked about my MS Blue mouse is it lasted me a good 3-4 months before needed the batteries replaced .... But it broke after 6 months ...

you don't have to run it completely down to charge it

just charge it whenever you want, for me the easiest thing is just to put it on the cradle when i go to bed each night

Brent
02-19-04, 09:14 AM
Logitech also has an MX510 now with a more powerful Optical engine: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=3,CONTENTID=8070

perhaps this would fix that BF1942 problem?

YeOldeStonecat
02-19-04, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Brent
Logitech also has an MX510 now with a more powerful Optical engine: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=3,CONTENTID=8070

perhaps this would fix that BF1942 problem?

I'm happy with the precision of the optical engine. What I find being the issue with "some" aspects of gaming is specifcally 2 things...1) Circle Strafing 2) Momentum for turning objects such as tank turrets.

Both of those are by physical design of the mouse.

Circle strafing was relatively easy to do on a ball mouse. By circle strafing, I mean something...talk in a circle around a tree, something like a 15 foot radius...while keeping your crosshair centered dead on the tree trunk. You can do this (with practice) by working both mouse, and the turning direction key. With the mouse, move a little, lift a tiny bit, move back over to where you started, plop down, move to the side, lift a tiny bit, put back where you started, drop, move, repeat cycle. One does that with a bunch of quick, yet gentle, little movements. The second you lift the mouse up from the surface, the ball stops moving, since this is a gentle movement. With optical eye mice...you have to lift up the mouse higher from the suface for it to "disengage" if you will...and that somewhat changes things, I've yet to find it as able to do this manuever as well as a ball mouse. I'm still able to do it, it's just I don't find it works as well, because that was one of my strong points in games such as Unreal Tournament...I was brutal with that mini-gun. I'd come up to people, walk around them twice in a circle and cut them down, before they knew it. It's not as much of a factor to me with bf'42, which doens't lend itself to that type of combat say like UT did with the mini gun or shrapnel gun, or Q3 with the super shotty.

Moving the tank turrets in bf...this one is hard, fast side swiping with the mice..you crank it hard to one side...so fast that when you're at the edge of your mousepad..you can lift your mouse...and the ball is still moving. Hence the "momentum" I speak of. The fact that the ball is still moving even after you pickup the mouse (because you really cranked it hard), signals are still going to your game engine to keep turning the turret. This is used when you're trying to sweep the tanks turret from one direction waaay over to another direction. With the optical mouse..the second you lift it off the pad because you're at the limit of your hand movement...it stops the input.

Cypher
02-19-04, 04:09 PM
I just grabbed the MX500 myself. I'm still not ready for wireless as it currently stands now. It's much more responsive and precise than the Intelimouse Explorer 3.0 I was using before. I set the acceleration to high for now to see if it makes a difference in games. My only complaint is that stupid Logitech logo they put in the center. That should be flush and not raised like it is.

Kyle
02-20-04, 12:28 PM
Jeeez, I can't stand the size of those things! I am sticking with my Cordless MouseMan Optical.

Kyler1

A_old
02-24-04, 11:54 AM
i use my mx700, heavily for 5-7 days before i have to recharge. i mischarged the NiMH batteries that originally came w/ the unit..and they only had a max life of around 3 hours. I immedidately replaced them w/ some 1850MiAH batteries (energizer i think)..and get my 5-7 day battery life. MX700 = awesome.

knightmare
02-24-04, 12:44 PM
bought a mx700 3 days ago, it has changed my internet and gaming 100%.

It is a must upgrade...