PDA

View Full Version : buying new within 2 weeks (Opinions?)

lance-tek
02-16-04, 08:44 PM
I am looking for a new mobo and CPU combo

I want to get one and max it on RAM I am pondering duallies but don't want to just run a straight system. I am hoping to OC as much as I can with air (avoiding H2O) so, I am asking for input....

I am not trying to go cheapo on it either. I want it to last but I want to get the most out of my money too.

So, if I go dual I want to have a board that can OC and I want Proc's that can take it .... If intel is better for cost and performance I will do intel if it is AMD then i will go AMD.

I don't worry so much about a RAID or anything but, if it comes with it then I am not going to complain. I am looking to replace my main rig (PIII 1 GHz @1133 MHz, 512MB SDRAM) and bring it online with the rest of my rigs. It is sad by my machine has the lowest specs and the best performance :p

So, help me out please!!! give me your input on boards, duals, intels, and athlons.

As soon as I have some good info I am going to buy!!!

So, load me up with all of your opinions and facts I can take it :p

Thanks,

-lance

Brk
02-16-04, 08:53 PM
Are you opposed to buying high-quality used uber parts?

lance-tek
02-16-04, 08:55 PM
yep, buying new parts and I want quality ...

zooner
02-16-04, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by lance-tek
yep, buying new parts and I want quality ...

i think burke was hinting that he's selling one of his rigs.

given current costs, I'd suggest the following.

p4 3.0c
1 gig corsair pc3700
asus mobo (based on 865 chipset - forgot motel number)

You'll easy choak 3.5 out of that beast with air cooling.

lance-tek
02-16-04, 11:46 PM
Thanks Tom, I will look into that board and CPU

I have been on NewEgg building up a machine ... Here is my wishlist that I have so far .... anyone care to review for me?

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=618240

Also, for setting up the RAID on it ... will I just use a IDE cable (blue) or is there a special SATA cable (red) to use I am trying to keep this rig "facey" so I am getting modded cables etc ...

Thanks,

-lance

Mark
02-17-04, 04:56 AM
look into one of those DFI lanparty mobos not sure which one though, from what i have read some people are getting like 260FSB out of them.

Joel
02-17-04, 07:40 AM
One thing I did notice - The CPU is OEM. I know the retial of the same thing is only like $81-$83 so I'd deffinatly get that.

Love those cases. When I do get enough money I'm going to buy one just like that only with glossy dark blue paint. Just beautiful.:rolleyes:

YeOldeStonecat
02-17-04, 08:11 AM
I'd go Intel...if price no concern, shoot for the P4Extreme Edition, if that's too steep...consider a 2.8 which is best bang for buck now, or 3.0/3.2 if your wallet is up to it.

Peeps obtaining 3.4 even 3.5 from a 2.4C with stock HSF.

Motherboard for above...Asus P4P800 i865 chipset.

A duallie system...to be honest, most games don't really utilize that, or if the few that do, doesn't really gain you much in gaming. But I don't know your intentions for this rig.

HD...WD Raptor. Simply amazing performance over old IDE.

Radeon 9800 or higher for video.

zooner
02-17-04, 08:54 AM
good choice on the case, I have the antec version myself and it rocks.

have you considered buying the antec version that includes the truepower power supply? You'll save yourself about 30-40 on the package. I'm running a 430watt truepower myself and have 5 hard drives, 6 fans, dvdrw etc running without a hitch.

Joel
02-17-04, 11:04 AM
Didn't see a video card...

The Saphire 9800Pro is on a one day sale for $212.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-268&depa=0
Ends 4:00PM PST.

Don't know if that's actually a whole lot off the usual price, but whatever.

Check out my future case:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/images/SkuImages/gallery/large/DRG-C-MB-a.jpg
:p

Dunster
02-17-04, 11:25 AM
Also, for setting up the RAID on it ... will I just use a IDE cable (blue) or is there a special SATA cable (red) to use I am trying to keep this rig "facey" so I am getting modded cables etc ...

Thanks,

-lance

Yes, you will need SATA cables for RAID. Not IDE.

Kyle
02-17-04, 02:05 PM
Might I recommend this (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-926&catalog=5&depa=1) DVD burner over the one you have? I bought the model just before this one came out (slower and like $5 cheaper :( ) but I've been happy with it, this one is faster than the one you have picked out in many aspects and I love the CD write speeds on it to.

Kyler1

lance-tek
02-17-04, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by zooner
good choice on the case, I have the antec version myself and it rocks.

have you considered buying the antec version that includes the truepower power supply? You'll save yourself about 30-40 on the package. I'm running a 430watt truepower myself and have 5 hard drives, 6 fans, dvdrw etc running without a hitch.

I could only find the Antec in Silver on NewEgg .... That is why i went with this one ..

I went for a case without PSU because of the window. I am going for cosmetics with this one too ... So, I wanted some eye candy on the PSU since it will be visible ...

But, I will look into it ....

lance-tek
02-17-04, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Kyler1
Might I recommend this (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-106-926&catalog=5&depa=1) DVD burner over the one you have? I bought the model just before this one came out (slower and like $5 cheaper :( ) but I've been happy with it, this one is faster than the one you have picked out in many aspects and I love the CD write speeds on it to.

Kyler1

the 8X is better than the 4X but the buffer was a big thing for me too. I chose the one I did because of the buffer mainly not the write speeds ... I only got a DVD burner becuase I could write anything this way and I needed to have a CD rom anyway ...

But tell me more about why this one you have listed is better than the one I have selected (aside from Write Speed) and I will seriously look into it ...

thanks,

-lance

lance-tek
02-17-04, 02:56 PM
I am starting out with the Radeon AIW 9600 Pro I am buying from Tom.

If I need to at a later point I will up it to the latest and greatest.

Thanks,

-lance

lance-tek
02-17-04, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
I'd go Intel...if price no concern, shoot for the P4Extreme Edition, if that's too steep...consider a 2.8 which is best bang for buck now, or 3.0/3.2 if your wallet is up to it.

Peeps obtaining 3.4 even 3.5 from a 2.4C with stock HSF.

Motherboard for above...Asus P4P800 i865 chipset.

A duallie system...to be honest, most games don't really utilize that, or if the few that do, doesn't really gain you much in gaming. But I don't know your intentions for this rig.

HD...WD Raptor. Simply amazing performance over old IDE.

Radeon 9800 or higher for video.

looking into that set up now .... The MoBo you are referring too is on sale now at NewEgg for 122 right?

-lance

Cypher
02-17-04, 03:26 PM
That sounds perfect.:nod:
And remember...HT=2 fah clients.:cool: ;)

lance-tek
02-17-04, 04:16 PM
wow!!! that is one hefty price tag on the P4X .. 800+ bux little too steep for me ....

lance-tek
02-17-04, 04:43 PM
Can someone explain to me what the codes are for P4's?

Can someone give a heirachy breakdown of the codes best to worst?

I am referring to the C in P4 3.4C or the E or the lack of anything ....

also what about the core code? what is the heirachy on that? best to worst etc ...

Thanks for helping me figure it out ...

-lance

YeOldeStonecat
02-17-04, 04:45 PM
looking into that set up now .... The MoBo you are referring too is on sale now at NewEgg for 122 right?

-lance

Dunno about NewEgg, I get everything from Essential, and it's 109 buck there...or 107 bucks..something like that.

Dunno if you're bent on AMD, or entertaining an Intel also.

Dunster
02-17-04, 05:09 PM
Can someone explain to me what the codes are for P4's?

Can someone give a heirachy breakdown of the codes best to worst?

I am referring to the C in P4 3.4C or the E or the lack of anything ....

also what about the core code? what is the heirachy on that? best to worst etc ...

Thanks for helping me figure it out ...

-lance

C = Northwood core
E = Prescott Core

Right now, the prescotts are very similar in performance to the Northwoods. The Prescotts are the newer technologt and will eventually outpace the Northwoods (older technology)

lance-tek
02-17-04, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Dunno about NewEgg, I get everything from Essential, and it's 109 buck there...or 107 bucks..something like that.

Dunno if you're bent on AMD, or entertaining an Intel also.

well, the proc has quite a heft tag on it though .... I don't think I can spend 800+ on a CPU, my fiancee would prolly skin me alive :eek:

-lance

lance-tek
02-17-04, 11:24 PM
ok I talked to Rick (cablenut) he and I decided I should go P4.

I have modified the cart. I am now going with a P4 2.8E

changed the mobo, HS, RAM etc.

price went up but so did speeds ....

as soon as I get the return in (within a week they say) I am submitting the order ....

Take a look at the cart and let me know what you think ...

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=618240

Remember the VID and Sound are not being purhcase with this package as I alreay have them en route ....

-lance

zooner
02-18-04, 12:20 AM
Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - OEM
Specification
Model: Intel Pentium 4 2.8E w/ Hyper Threading
Core: Prescott
Operating Frequency: 2.8GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Cache: L1/12K+16K; L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.4V
Process: 0.09Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Packaging: OEM(Processor Only)more info-> -See It! N82E16819116174 $189 $189

holy sheet batman, that's CHEEP!!

Cypher
02-18-04, 08:34 AM
That's looking mighty fine there.:D :cool:
I wonder if my MB supports those Prescots. It is a rev.2.0 I just bought.

Cypher
02-18-04, 08:58 AM
Never mind on the Prescott. After some reading they don't clock well at all, even on phase change. Heat is their major issue. The general consensus at xtreme is to stick with the "C" class chips until the LGA sockets come out. Just a heads up for you there Lance.;)

Brk
02-18-04, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by zooner
holy sheet batman, that's CHEEP!!

It's also OEM.

lance-tek
02-18-04, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Burke
It's also OEM.

well, it was the only E within my price range that I found on NewEgg. Sure I could pay 400 or 800 or more but I don't really care to spend that kinda cash for it right now ...

I may go back to a C in regards to the OC of it ... I will do some more research ... thanks for lookin out for me Ron.

-lance

lance-tek
02-18-04, 04:15 PM
It's also OEM.

what is the big diff between OEM and BOX? I don't want the stock HS or Fan .....

Aside from that is there something I should be learly of?

Thanks,

-lance

Mark
02-18-04, 04:26 PM
OEM has a shorter warrenty from what i read.

Joel
02-18-04, 04:27 PM
what is the big diff between OEM and BOX? I don't want the stock HS or Fan .....

Aside from that is there something I should be learly of?

Thanks,

-lance
Retails has RMAbility?

lance-tek
02-18-04, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Mark
OEM has a shorter warrenty from what i read.

doesn't any evidence of OCing void it anyway?

lance-tek
02-18-04, 04:32 PM
Are you opposed to buying high-quality used uber parts?

Burke I always buy used parts ...

Cypher
02-18-04, 05:09 PM
Not a problem. I enjoy my Intel allot and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.;) :cool:

lance-tek
02-18-04, 05:21 PM
I have many ....

This will be my 3 P4 rig, I bought 2 already for Stacy and her sister Stef (she lives with us to go to college) but I have always kept the PIII rig I started with ...

I have an AMD 1800+ for the media server
A PIII 733 that I got from Tom for the print server
A Celeron 1100 that I put in the bedroom to watch movies and listen to MP3s
And then the Lappy from work ....

almost forgot the lappy I am getting from Tom that I will send off to my Fiancee (Stacy is deployed). Yep I think that makes 10 machines....

Plenty of rigs :D

But this will be my first custom P4.... I am sure I will enjoy it as much as I have all of the other machines I put together ... Prolly more because I am doing this one all at once instead of gradually upgrading parts.

Anywho ... More rigs to add to my lil Farm :D and more folding power :D :D :D

-lance

lance-tek
02-19-04, 10:41 PM
ok all happy now i think ....

Switched to a Retail 3.0 Ghz P4 Northwood :D

-lance

lance-tek
02-20-04, 11:00 AM
purchased!!!!