PDA

View Full Version : Router problems.

ace
02-15-04, 09:19 PM
Okay here goes. I bought a laptop and am going wireless. I went and bought a netgear MR814v2 wireless router and a netgear card.
Now my laptop isnt here yet but I hooked up the router and noticed that it stalls after typing in a web address and hitting enter. It will go to the page but is alot slower than my networkeverywhere router made by linksys. I never had a problem with the old router.
I also had a problem connecting to the dc server, kept getting connection problem constantly and then would get booted. This never happened before today. Any ideas what might be causing the problem?? And btw, the computer in question is wired to the router, not wireless.

ace

qball15j
02-15-04, 09:46 PM
It could be your ISP's DNS server but also make sure your routers firmware is up to date.

I'm very suprised you actually had good luck with a networkeverywhere router. I tested their wireless and wired models and both were really buggy...

ace
02-15-04, 09:52 PM
I have updated the firmware and it was exactly the same. The networkeverywhere router was ROCK solid for me, never a problem. I have only rebooted it once since I have had it and thats been a about a year and a half.
Dont ya think if the dns servers were a problem it would be on both of them an not just the netgear?? I am probably gonna take this back and get a linksys. :(

Jada
02-16-04, 06:54 AM
I have the linksys wireless-g broadband router not had any problems with it apart from setting up wep and xbox live, but the wep was my fault was doing something wrong fixed now and xbox live just needed to upgrade firmware works great now.

My laptop is the only wireless kit on the network and was easy to setup, no loss of speed at all, any other pcs i add to the network is just plug and play.

zooner
02-16-04, 07:55 AM
i'm using a linksys wireless 802.11b with 4 ports myself.

never a problem.

in fact, I have access to it on all three floors of my house. even behind closed doors!

Mytflyguy
02-16-04, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by zooner

never a problem.

Me too .... Well actually a linksys router with 4 ports plus a linksys wireless AP connected to it.

As to the original Question though .... I'd say call tech support or look on their website for info ... I would guess it's a setting somewhere ... I'm just not familiar enough with Netgear to help much :(

Brk
02-16-04, 10:29 AM
Why not log in to the router and reset it to default settings?

SLK
02-16-04, 02:54 PM

never a problem.

in fact, I have access to it on all three floors of my house. even behind closed doors!

Me too with el cheapo ADMTek wireless cards and not a single hitch. I also have a Network Everywhere Nr041 and it was also rock solid:)

ace
02-16-04, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the help. I took it back and picked up the linksys BEFW11S4. I installed it and it works perfect. No more netgear for me. :D

SLK
02-16-04, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by ace420
Thanks for the help. I took it back and picked up the linksys BEFW11S4. I installed it and it works perfect. No more netgear for me. :D

Yup i have the same one:)

zooner
02-16-04, 06:18 PM

i believe I have the model beneath taht one. Mine was a 100 and that was over 175!

good for you!

ace
02-16-04, 08:55 PM
i believe I have the model beneath taht one. Mine was a 100 and that was over 175!

good for you!

I bought it as a combo. It also came with a wireless card for my laptop. Total price was 119.00.

:)

edit*
when my laptop comes I will be even happier!! :D

Susquehannock
02-18-04, 02:40 AM

Netgear = no good? Was looking at the Netgear #mr814
as it has the rebate, have to get Sister back online fast for School.
Any thoughts or experiences with this model?

Everyone says Linksys is great but I am not sure ...
My #befw11s4 Router just died after steadily getting worse
over the last few months.

Had to perform the reset and power cord "trick" with increasing
consistancy and now it seems unreachable. The "PC active"
LED on the modem doesn't light anymore. :(
Everything works fine with the router removed.
Can't update firmware as it won't connect.

Did I mention the poor customer service at Linksys?
Even when I could get through we had a VERY had time
understanding eachother.
Honestly, my English was likely as good as their Hindi. ;)
Anyway, when we did connect, the person just seemed to ignore
what I said and just kept repeating the same thing as if reading
from a standard responce book or something.

Sadly, from the posts over at DSL Reports.com it seems my
experiences aren't all that uncommon.

Sorry for my venting here. It's just so frustrating when the
products expire so soon after the warranty expires.
Third product to do so in the past month.
How do they plan it so perfectly? Almost uncanny. :mad:

Not sure I want to deal with Linksys anymore if getting help
is such a hastle.

So, how is that Netgear mr814? Or how about the D-Link di-614?
Many thanX for your help and/or suggestions. :)

ace
02-21-04, 12:53 AM
I purchased the mr814 and thought it was terrible. Web pages were loading slow, speed took a hit. I tried messing with a few things but ended up taking it back to the store and getting the linksys you have and it worked great right out of the box, no issues at all. I have hooked up a few d-links and they seem to perform well.
If you ask me I will say stay away from netgear. Others have no problems. Just make sure whatever you get you can take it back!! :D

Susquehannock
02-22-04, 09:41 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the mr814
ace420. :)
After reading some consumer reviews at Cnet & Amazon
I decided it wasn't a good choice.

We have ordered the D-Link with the two year extended
warranty and it should be here Tuesday.

Wish us luck! :D

Mytflyguy
02-22-04, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Susquehannock
My #befw11s4 Router just died after steadily getting worse
over the last few months.

Although I hav the WAP11 Access point Mine did the same thing for a while Started having to reset it every other day or my Internet connection slowed to about 38 kb/s

I flashed the Bios to the latest one and Has worked perfect ever since ...

Susquehannock
02-23-04, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Mytflyguy
Although I hav the WAP11 Access point Mine did the same thing for a while Started having to reset it every other day or my Internet connection slowed to about 38 kb/s

I flashed the Bios to the latest one and Has worked perfect ever since ...

Cool! ... glad you got yours working again. :cool:

Mine just seems unreachable no matter what I try.
It was always connected by cat5 to this computer but trying
wireless didn't get me anywhere either. :(

Sigh ... I've never been the suspicious type but lately I've wondered
if maybe I broke a mirror somewhere. There must be some
reason I've had so many completely unrelated products go
bad lately.
Replaced my water heater a few months back and I've had three
defects in a row now. (leaky) :irate:
Luckily I bought the top end model which has 100% replacement
coverage.