PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix = DEATH of our bios ?

Rivas
02-11-04, 06:49 PM
they r saying that CSS or EFI equipped machine could say no when u try to play copy protected songs or videos .
Its gonna be released in 2006.

anyone heard something ?

Faust
02-11-04, 07:28 PM
if true, the only way this will work is if it;s SELECTIVE, meaning you can choose to enable it or not.

otherwise, this will NOT be a selling point to consumers (actually, they will try and avoid it altogether). and if it does somehow become mainstay, there will invariably be hacks/apps/workarounds-a-plenty.

it's my ^%^%#$^%@ CD. don;t try and tell me what device i can and can;t listen to it on.

Rivas
02-12-04, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Faust
if true, the only way this will work is if it;s SELECTIVE, meaning you can choose to enable it or not.

otherwise, this will NOT be a selling point to consumers (actually, they will try and avoid it altogether). and if it does somehow become mainstay, there will invariably be hacks/apps/workarounds-a-plenty.

it's my ^%^%#$^%@ CD. don;t try and tell me what device i can and can;t listen to it on.

Phoenix plots death of your bios :

If phoenix has its druthers,the block text DOS BIOS will go the way of the isa slot when the next generation of WINDOWS code named Longhorn is released in 2006.
Phoenix and Microsoft are both touting the Phoenix developed core system software (css) to displace bios altogether.
They are gonna start implementing it on machines as early as this spring. (implementing EFI -> EFI equiped machine will say no when u try to play copy protected song or video that u dont have rights to).

Faust
02-12-04, 07:33 PM
hmmm..... to be frank, i don;t like the sound of that one bit.

the shame (IMO) is that this is totally doable, if it;s on MS's agenda. the hardware and software markets will always invaribly follow the operating system market........ the OS is the bridge between purposeful software/hardware and us (the users), so mfgr's have to follow suit in terms of structure and compatability and limits.

we may get lucky and it wind up being like the Pentium III unique ID #.... there will be a widespread public outcry (well, widespread within the computer geek realm), and the feature will still be there.... but the user has the ability to switch it off (or will be off by default). at this point we can only hope.

you can fool the masses into thinking it;s a better OS/operating environment by adding loads and loads of cool bells and whistles ("hey dude! check it out!.... i can change my mouse pointer from a white arrow to a blue arrow by holding down the 'ctrl' key and farting!"), but the techie folks will readily see that at the same time, other functionalities/controls are being removed.

FunK
02-13-04, 01:21 AM
No man, they are going to add an ANALOG CLOCK to Longhorn!

Not only THAT but multiple desktops too!

Well, I guess 2006 is the year that they officially stop supporting XP and Server 2003.

The entertainment industry wil be sure of that!

FunK
02-13-04, 01:24 AM
I agree that whatever they have planned will be hacked within a month of them deplooying it.

That's the nature of the game MS.. You taketh away and we giveth right back!

I remember reading about the alternatives to the BIOS and the piece I read aobut it was really cool. Modern BIOS functions without the old school charm.

Then again, I never heard anything about this big mess..

Penguin Power!