PDA

View Full Version : The story of david an his IO Magic DVD writer.....

nepenthe
01-31-04, 10:00 PM
A few days ago, I posted a marvelous deal available at your local Staples, the IO Magic 8X DVD+-R drive for 99 dollars without rebate. The offering seeming to good to pass up had me jump to purchase it.

What does 99 USD buy you? Well, you receive a boat load of basic Pinnacle software in which to edit, author and write DVDs. The package is nice, but what of the hardware.

Apparently this is drive is manufactured Optorite/Assentech. This means little save that any issues with this unit might be expected in others of its origin.

Although the box indicates that the drive will burn CDs at 40X, it seem capable of "only" 24X. Also, none of my available DVD media would burn at 8X. A quick check will display that the firmware was a bit out of date. I decided to join the IO Magic forum to meet with the other haggard souls, bonding in an auto-alopecic frenzy. The very latest revision, 130l, does offer 40X CD writes, but causes the drive to be unstable for DVD burning and eliminating the HD Burn feature (more on this nifty ability later). Thankfully, the Optorite site still had the previous revision (though newer than what was originally included). What version 120E was flashed, the drive returned back to 24X CDr, but both 8X DVD writes worked as did HD Burn.

Understand that 8X is not the speed by which the drive writes over the entire width of the disk. Certain brands start at 4X, then move to 6X and end at 8X. Other start at 6X then go to 8X. It is important to note this since one might think that an 8X drive would be twice as fast as 4X, it is not. With this unit, 4.3GB burned and closed in 9:15 (All drives need about a minute to close a session). What is nice is that Memorex and TDK 4X DVD+R media (Made by Ricoh) works at this 8X speed.

HD Burn is another nice innovation by Sanyo. The very same folks who brought you burn proof to halt coaster creation, offers a method to double the capacity of you CDs. With HD Burn, you can get 1.4GB on a 700MB disk, though it is only readable by another HD Burn enabled drive. Although the firmware claimed it was enabled and Nero did prepare to write in HD Burn mode, for some reason it would not work (A power calibration error was returned). I queried the forum dwellers at IO Magic and one nice gent mentioned that Imation media worked for him. Well..... Sony failed as did Verbatim, TDK and Princo.... heck... I will give the POS Imation disks a go. I will be damned if they didn't work. I can now put 1.4 Gig on <25 cent disks..... cool beans. Supposed SVCD can be written and read from these disks.... I will give it a try in a day or so.... as of this moment the drive is buzzing out copies of my friend's wedding.

Overall I must say that this is a decent drive at an excellent price. Certainly a bunch of fun on a budget.

Expect more posts :).....
david

AceFireball
01-31-04, 10:18 PM
I never had problems with any Imation media..Cheap and gets the job done:)

downhill
01-31-04, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the review, David....I just may have to check it out!

fastchevy
01-31-04, 10:32 PM
Damn...sounds OK.
I may wait until bugs are worked out and it's more industry wide.

:)

nepenthe
01-31-04, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by AceFireball
I never had problems with any Imation media..Cheap and gets the job done:)

I have had some issues with it, though I will again purchase them, especially isf I can get HD Burn SVCDs to play on my DVD player.

Moreover, I am vexed by the peeling of the metal coatings from the plastic disks. This was not a problem with media in the earlier days of CD-r.

Russell
02-01-04, 01:49 AM
Just picked upa liteon 4x dvd+/-rw drive at wal-mart. It is replacing the liteon 4x dvd+rw drive I did have. Just installed it and have not put it through it's places yet, however I was very happy with the drive it replaced, so hopefully it will be a good buy at $98.99.

zooner
02-01-04, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by russell12
Just picked upa liteon 4x dvd+/-rw drive at wal-mart. It is replacing the liteon 4x dvd+rw drive I did have. Just installed it and have not put it through it's places yet, however I was very happy with the drive it replaced, so hopefully it will be a good buy at $98.99.

be forewarned...

If that is the 411s model, you could be in for some headaches. I purchased one and resold it. A friend of mine purchased one and has been plagued by the same problems I was having.

It will not 'backup' about 50% of the dvd's I tried. Half way through the read, it errors out. You might get lucky and the first couple work. However, try a bunch before the period of return expires.

:) I was lucky and picked up a rebadged liteon 851s 8x -+ (writes cdr's at 40x too) for $79 without any rebates. It was a sub for another dvdrw at officemax a couple of weeks back. I've pulled my 52x liteon cdrw because this performs so much better for cdr burning.`

Russell
02-01-04, 01:58 PM
It's the 451s.

Joel
02-01-04, 02:14 PM
I hade no clue DVD burners were so cheap these days...

Wow.