PDA

View Full Version : Turbo button!

opmharley
01-28-04, 01:25 PM
So what is up with those cases with turbo buttons. Our school has em on most of the computers. They did just get 4 new xp 2100's.

Originally posted by Amro
roflmao..out first pc, a 486sx 33MHz packard bell, top of the line for its time..had a turbo button.. it actually throttled the processor to run older games..throttled it to 8MHz or something thereabouts. i was like wtf? that makes no sense..i was 9 i think

Lol, I don't understand him but what do they do? Does turbo affect it or anything.
Also I would like to admit to deleting cookies and changing settings on my school's computer.

Brent
01-28-04, 01:59 PM
In the early days of the PC, there was only IBM, and there were only a handful of different speeds a PC could run at. Early software was written by programmers who believed they were writing it to run on a machine of a specific speed. When newer, faster machines would come out, some of this software (especially games) would stop working properly because it would run too fast. Turning off the "turbo" function of the PC (which meant anything that made it run faster than an IBM of a particular era) would make the machine run slower so this software would work. In essence, it was a "compatibility mode" feature, to slow down the machine for older software. Now, there are dozens of different combinations of processor types and speeds. Software cannot rely on knowing what the speed of the machine is, so most programs use speed-detection algorithms to determine how fast the machine is.

YeOldeStonecat
01-28-04, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by opmharley
Our school has em on most of the computers. They did just get 4 new xp 2100's.

Someone is using up an ancient pile of old cases if they're shipping xp2100's in cases with turbo buttons!

YeOldeStonecat
01-28-04, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Brent
In the early days of the PC, there was only IBM, and there were only a handful of different speeds a PC could run at. Early software was written by programmers who believed they were writing it to run on a machine of a specific speed. When newer, faster machines would come out, some of this software (especially games) would stop working properly because it would run too fast. Turning off the "turbo" function of the PC (which meant anything that made it run faster than an IBM of a particular era) would make the machine run slower so this software would work. In essence, it was a "compatibility mode" feature, to slow down the machine for older software. Now, there are dozens of different combinations of processor types and speeds. Software cannot rely on knowing what the speed of the machine is, so most programs use speed-detection algorithms to determine how fast the machine is.

Heeehee...I've had to use software on newer computers to slow them down, if they were running some "picky" DOS software. Became pretty popular when the early Pentium II's came out, esp the first 100FSB models...the PII 350.

Brent
01-28-04, 03:13 PM
I've got an old dos Wing Commander game, tried to play it on a Pentium 100 a long time ago, thing was like running at warp speed, it was kinda funny lol.

pimptrizkit
01-28-04, 05:06 PM
eh i got 3 or 4 cases with "turbo button" just in my bed room ...i have a old tower case my dad was building that "some one" spilt coke on back in like 92-93 (soda, not snuff)

any body want to buy anteque computer parts?

YeOldeStonecat
01-28-04, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Brent
Wing Commander game,

Heh heh...that one's ringing a bell.

Massa
01-28-04, 11:00 PM
Yup, moslo was one of my favourite utils for a while there ...