01-27-04, 06:21 PM
i want solid state storage media :D

my primary 80GB Maxtor HDD is dead on my server

CableDude
01-27-04, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Brent

:(

Been hearing alot of bad things about maxtor lately.

Scary.:eek:

cyberskye
01-27-04, 06:30 PM
Been hearing alot of bad things about maxtor lately.

Me, too. It all started about 7 years ago and hasn't slowed a bit - Never met a maxtor I liked.

Addict
01-27-04, 06:37 PM
i want solid state storage media :D

Having a Maxtor HD is your first problem.....

Western Digital, Seagate....;)

lansens
01-27-04, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Addict
Having a Maxtor HD is your first problem.....

Western Digital, Seagate....;)

Crap shoot really.............my Raptor died Thursday!:D

Brent
01-27-04, 06:48 PM
dont' say that! :eek: i rely on the 5 Maxtor 80GB hard drives in my server, they can't go bad!

luckily nothing mission critical was on the primay one, i can replace that, i just hope my 4 others don't go out, they have all my stuff on em i can't afford to loose

ya know, when i setup my server over a year ago I too was weary of Maxtor hard drives, believe me, but, then their fluid bearing drives came out and they were getting a lot better reviews for stability and the like, so i made the plunge to get them, cause with 5 hard drives roarin I wanted the quiteness of their fluid bearing drives

i'm just hoping this one going out was limited to just this one

I'll be doing a big upgrade on my hard drives down the road, slowly over time getting 8 250GB SATA hard drives and run RAID mirroring with em for fault protection, and when I do that I think i'm gonna stick with Western Digital.

Mark
01-27-04, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by lansens
.............my Raptor died Thursday!:D

really, that sux, that is the first one i have heard of dying :(

Brent ya need to get a DVD burner, i know i want one bad but am waiting for the prices to drop some more.

YeOldeStonecat
01-27-04, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by cyberskye
Me, too. It all started about 7 years ago and hasn't slowed a bit - Never met a maxtor I liked.

LOL...pretty much same here. They were right down there with Quantum! Funny how a couple of years ago Maxtor bought up Quantum...now they dominate the bottom end market!

YeOldeStonecat
01-27-04, 07:17 PM

Call 'em up! They have so much confidence in these drives, there's a 5 year warranty!

YARDofSTUF
01-27-04, 07:26 PM

luckily nothing mission critical was on the primay one, i can replace that, i just hope my 4 others don't go out, they have all my stuff on em i can't afford to loose

If its so important then you must have a backup right? :)

lansens
01-27-04, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Call 'em up! They have so much confidence in these drives, there's a 5 year warranty!

They should have some confidence, the drives are great. Even the best have a few bad apples. RMA'd

el bob
01-27-04, 09:17 PM
I've got all my school/work documents on raid 1 and my family digital camera pictures collection on raid 1 and a second computer mirrored via ftp.

I just had a Maxtor drive die on me on the job. It was home to four installations of Windows 95 in different languages. My boss now insists that I redo the computer with a similar setup. This entails running Windows 95 setup in Japanese, Chinese (traditional), and Korean. Yikes. Yes, hard drives can suck the big one on occasion.

Addict
01-27-04, 09:26 PM

I don't think its as much of a crap shoot as people like to believe. Alot of what affects a hard drives longevity is the environment. Ambient temps, dust, pet dander, etc.

In a 'server' environment, these things are controlled. In a home environment, they aren't. You don't think WD, Maxtor & the like test their drives in a room full of dust, pet dander, etc do you?;)

Jeremy
01-27-04, 10:48 PM
the best thing to do is provide some sort of active cooling for thos 7200-15000rpm drives and keep them on rather than turning off and on and off and on...

the only drive that has died on me is a 1GB seagate from 1996. i have a 200MB WD from 1992 and a 500MB Maxtor from 1994 and both are still alive, plus i run a pair of maxtors in my server, although the fluid bearings aren't doing much for noise; the 40gb is the loudest hdd i own.

notebook hard drives are designed to spin up and down a bit more heavily i believe. the faster enterprise-class drives are the opposite; they have fewer rated on/off cycles than many consumer drives as they are assumemd to be on 24/7 plus limitations of 10000+rpm motors.

Brent
01-27-04, 10:57 PM

you're kidding? what did it do?

thats suprising since it's based off SCSI tech

Brent
01-27-04, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Mark
really, that sux, that is the first one i have heard of dying :(

Brent ya need to get a DVD burner, i know i want one bad but am waiting for the prices to drop some more.

yeah, i know, i need one for backup purposes

Brent
01-27-04, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
If its so important then you must have a backup right? :)

no :(

a few of the 80GB drives are almost full, to back them up i would need at least a few more 80GB drives to back them all up on

my long term plan is to RAID1 8 250GB drives

Brent
01-27-04, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy
the best thing to do is provide some sort of active cooling for thos 7200-15000rpm drives and keep them on rather than turning off and on and off and on...

the only drive that has died on me is a 1GB seagate from 1996. i have a 200MB WD from 1992 and a 500MB Maxtor from 1994 and both are still alive, plus i run a pair of maxtors in my server, although the fluid bearings aren't doing much for noise; the 40gb is the loudest hdd i own.

notebook hard drives are designed to spin up and down a bit more heavily i believe. the faster enterprise-class drives are the opposite; they have fewer rated on/off cycles than many consumer drives as they are assumemd to be on 24/7 plus limitations of 10000+rpm motors.

these points i'm aware of

i built my server to have good airflow inside, the hard drives have 80mm fans blowing air straight across them in the front with air filters in front to keep the dust out, and i clean the filters regularly

so i know they've had good cooling, and a dust free life

also, my server is on 24/7, i never turn it off

lansens
01-27-04, 11:06 PM
you're kidding? what did it do?

thats suprising since it's based off SCSI tech

I noticed random high pitched noises coming from my machine. I started to pay very close attention to it. Then it started to lag during simple task like checking email and surfing. I got scared and started a back-up with Drive Image and thats when she died. This was in about an hours time. Not much notice.

Brent
01-27-04, 11:08 PM
I noticed random high pitched noises coming from my machine. I started to pay very close attention to it. Then it started to lag during simple task like checking email and surfing. I got scared and started a back-up with Drive Image and thats when she died. This was in about an hours time. Not much notice.

wow

did you run any of the WD diagnostic utilities: http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#diagutils to check the SMARTDRIVE status?

Jeremy
01-27-04, 11:11 PM
stupid question, but what does a computer display/do when the drive sponteneously dies? usually i thought they occur right when yyou power up and discover that it's grindy or has some weird clicks or noises.

Brent
01-27-04, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Jeremy
stupid question, but what does a computer display/do when the drive sponteneously dies? usually i thought they occur right when yyou power up and discover that it's grindy or has some weird clicks or noises.

the display just displays what your doing

remember, in a computer you work out of the RAM, not the hard drive, unless you don't have enough ram and are swapping space on the hard drive as ram

stuff is accessed from your hard drive, so if the hard drive dies and stuff can't be accessed usually your computer just locks up, or freezes or something, it could do a number of things really

also depends what kind of problem the hdd is having

you can run a computer without a hard drive, in fact if you have enough RAM you can make a RAM Drive and actually run out of that, of course its volitile so its erased when you power down

lansens
01-27-04, 11:17 PM
wow

did you run any of the WD diagnostic utilities: http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#diagutils to check the SMARTDRIVE status?

Yea, it failed the tests.

Brent
01-27-04, 11:26 PM
Yea, it failed the tests.

that sucks

gonna get it replaced?

lansens
01-28-04, 12:29 AM
that sucks

gonna get it replaced?

I already have the RMA set up. This thread got me goin and I decided to throw the drive in and retest it. Failed again.:D So I use Partition Magic and delete/create the partition and format. Guess what..........the damn thing past the test.:confused: I am posting from a fresh XP install. Go figure:D

EDIT: The RMA is good for 30 days so I will see if I have the same problem after some use.

westy
01-28-04, 09:47 AM
That sucks....

I'm using a Maxtor HD to back up my WD. Maybe I need to get a WD to back up my Maxtor that backs up my WD........

Or maybe I need to start keeping paper records.............

;)

nightowl
01-28-04, 10:03 AM
i've had WD, Maxtor, quantom, and fugitsu....and i haven't had any of them die on my yet *touch wood* i have an old 200 meg quantum that still works too

Brent
01-28-04, 04:19 PM
*Update on the hard drive

Apparently the Hard Drive is OK

I ran every single Maxtor diagnostic test on it and they all passed with flying colors.

I think what I have is a hardware problem with either the mobo, cpu, or RAM.

I've moved all my hard drives over to another computer and put a fresh installation of the OS on it, and the hard drive seems to be working great.

So I think all along it was a problem with another hardware component, not the hard drive.

Whew

lansens
01-28-04, 04:24 PM
*Update on the hard drive

Apparently the Hard Drive is OK

I ran every single Maxtor diagnostic test on it and they all passed with flying colors.

I think what I have is a hardware problem with either the mobo, cpu, or RAM.

I've moved all my hard drives over to another computer and put a fresh installation of the OS on it, and the hard drive seems to be working great.

So I think all along it was a problem with another hardware component, not the hard drive.

Whew

Don't you just hate that! My Raptor is running great now as well. I just want to know what the hell happened.

el bob
01-28-04, 11:41 PM
Does is still have your data or did you format/repartition/etc. while thinking it was dead?

Brent
01-29-04, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by el bob
Does is still have your data or did you format/repartition/etc. while thinking it was dead?

formatted it, low level actually

but all it runs is the OS and programs installed so its no biggie that i lost the data on that particular drive, thats easy to set back up