PDA

View Full Version : Computer hard locks in Warcraft III

el bob
01-26-04, 06:41 PM
note: I think this is a hardware question that has to do with graphics cooling, but if mods believe it to be software, I apologize for posting in the wrong forum.

Specs:
Athlon XP 1600+
Thermalright SK-7 w/ Panaflo 80mm L1A
Abit NF7-S v1.0
2x 256MB DDR Crucial
Apollo Gf2 GTS 64MB DDR
400W Antec PP-403X PSU
30GB ATA/66 7200RPM WD HDD Caviar WD300
2x 120GB ATA/100 7200RPM WD HDD WD1200BB in RAID 1
6x Toshiba DVD-ROM
32x LiteOn CD-RW LTR-3212
1.44MB 3.5" FDD
Onboard nForce Ethernet Controller
Onboard nForce Audio
Chieftec Scorpio TX-10WD

The only fans in the system are the PSU fan, northbridge fan, cpu fan, and graphics card fan. (no case fans)

I always having Folding @ Home running in the background so processor is always at 100% load and I rarely see temps about 50 degrees Celsius.

However, whenever I play Warcraft III, after about 1-2 minutes into the game the computer hard locks.

The computer is otherwise wondefully stable and can run for days/weeks on end with the occasional -forcesse folding with AMD glitch locking the computer.

I tried stopping folding before opening Warcarft but the computer still crashes in the same fashion as with folding.

I'm kind of stumped. I can play Need For Speed: Underground without crashing and Tribes 1 (go ahead, laugh it up :D).

I'm thinking that maybe the video card is most challenged by Warcraft III and is heating up to the point that it crashes.

Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks,
el bob

mccoffee
01-26-04, 06:56 PM
http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/ try this program b4 running warcraft it kills all background process also if you have 8x agp enabled in the bios disable it

Goto my computer control panel display and advanced performance and quality and make sure it's set for high performance application controlled off and anistropic filtering is off.

el bob
01-26-04, 10:32 PM
Thanks mrcoffee.

I'd like to be able to leave things running in the back (ie: minimized programs) for the sake of convenience, but I'm glad to know that I have options.

I used to have no problems whatsoever running Warcraft III with multiple programs in the background, including active Winamp 3. I'm not sure why I'm having them now.

And I've got a new problem now. When NFS: Underground starts up, the screen shifts to the left so that the far left is off of the monitor and the far right is empty black. The monitor's physical output has not shifted, but the games content output to the monitor does. I think I know this because I tried shifting the game back into view using the monitor's controls and I also saw that other games did not do similar things.

Crappy day for gaming.

maroon
01-27-04, 09:47 AM
Have you recently updated your video card drivers? You may want to go back to an earlier version.

Is Warcraft patched up to date?

el bob
02-01-04, 10:46 PM
I added an 80mm intake and an 80mm exhaust. I also removed dust from the cpu heatsink and graphics card heatsink. After doing all of this I have not had any more crashes in games. Turns out it was a heat issue after all. Strange stuff.