PDA

View Full Version : Uggg - Another new printer - Suggestions?

Dunster
01-25-04, 03:21 PM
I have now destroyed my second printer within three years. The latest was an Epson Stylus C82. A small part inside dealing with the ink nozzle cleaning broke.

I need suggestions on a good printer that will last. I only print three or four times a week and do NOT print pictures. I would like color, but black and white is my main use. I would like to keep it around $100, but I'd pay more for a quality printer.

Help!
Thanks......Dunster

Storm90
01-25-04, 04:19 PM
Don't you have a warranty on this one? If so you should be able to get it fixed. Would save you some money. I usally use Hp Printers. Seem to have good luck with them.

YeOldeStonecat
01-25-04, 04:28 PM
HP, look in their business section of inkjet printers. Don't spend under 100 bucks...you've already seen what that gets you.

ghost
01-25-04, 06:46 PM
HP DeskJet 5150, $99.

HP DeskJet 5650, $129.

Each has 1200 x 4800 dpi.

Don't bother with the DeskJet 3650, $79, uses the older ink cartridges for color (#28). The ones above use the common HP cartridges (#'s 56 & 57, 58 for photos) and are in no danger of becoming obsolete or hard to find any time soon.

HP print heads are built into the ink cartridges, no clogging, work great.

Jeremy
01-25-04, 06:54 PM
HP has made high quality printers for awhile; i bought one boxing day 1998 and never returned it once; boxing day 2003 i got another HP and while still good, it just doens't quite feel as solid as their older ones.

Tawcan
01-25-04, 07:26 PM
The HP printer at home was bought in 96 I think.... it's still printing out stuff. :)

Dunster
01-25-04, 07:32 PM
I got the HP tonight. The wife forced me to go with her to Target (yes, Target). They actually have a few HP deskjets there. I picked one up. I probably paid a few extra dollars at Target, but I got it, and my wife will stop bugging me about being able to print.

Thanks all!

zooner
01-25-04, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Dunster
I got the HP tonight. The wife forced me to go with her to Target (yes, Target). They actually have a few HP deskjets there. I picked one up. I probably paid a few extra dollars at Target, but I got it, and my wife will stop bugging me about being able to print.

Thanks all!

NOOO!!!!!!!

You should have bought a laser. Minolta and samsung laser printers have gotten cheap and they last for a long time. Plus cost per page is incredibly low compared to inkjets, it'll pay for itself in a short amount of time.

Dunster
01-25-04, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by zooner
NOOO!!!!!!!

You should have bought a laser. Minolta and samsung laser printers have gotten cheap and they last for a long time. Plus cost per page is incredibly low compared to inkjets, it'll pay for itself in a short amount of time.

I agree. But remember (this is a life lesson for all you boys out there) - the wife is now very happy and hopefully a happy wife, makes a happy husband ;) :nod: .

I also like the small size of the HP I bought. It fits very nicely into a small cubbyhole in my desk.

nepenthe
01-26-04, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by zooner
NOOO!!!!!!!

Do you feel that the results of color lasers are as close to photographic as the ink jets?

zooner
01-26-04, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by nepenthe
Do you feel that the results of color lasers are as close to photographic as the ink jets?

everything i've read says a resounding no, not even close. While there have been deals on the color minolta for less then 300, I have some other expenses to deal with before I take the plunge.

I'm using a minolta 1250w and a HP932. The minolta has printed off at least 3000-4000 sheets and it's working great. The HP932 was garbage picked and just needed some new ink.

I used a toner refill kit on the minolta that cost me less then $8 on ebay. Considering that I should get at least 3000 pages out of it, I'd almost consider that no cost per page.