PDA

View Full Version : Zip drive problem

Russell
01-25-04, 02:32 PM
I just put a zip 250 drive in my son's PC. Problem is the computer will only boot if there is a disc in the drive, otherwise it hangs at windows. Tried everything I know of (which is just enough to get in trouble). Anyone have any ideas? Also the drive wants to eject the disc when I shut the PC down. I know there is a way to disable that function, but I can't remember how. The system is a P4 1.4 with 256 megs of ram and is running XP home.

Forget to mention the drive is hooked up through a Promise Ultra 100 IDE controller card.

Mark
01-25-04, 02:37 PM
check the boot order in the bios and set it to use hard drive 0 or whatever is your windows harddrive maybe ?

just a guess

Russell
01-25-04, 02:42 PM
I checked that, but it is currently set at Floppy/HDD0/CD-Rom.

Mark
01-25-04, 02:45 PM
maybe try not running it on the controller card instead.

another guess :)

YeOldeStonecat
01-25-04, 02:49 PM
Try just slaving it to the CD on IDE 2? Don't bother with the Promise card.

Russell
01-25-04, 02:50 PM
kinda the only option I have since all the othe IDE channells are full with two hard drives, a cd-rom and a cdrw drive. I have it set upthe same way in my system and it works fine. Still, could be the problem I suppose. If I can't figure it out I'll just take the drive out. Course if I can remember how to keep the disk from ejecting at shutdown, I could just leave a disk in it all the time, since it will boot up with a disk in.

YeOldeStonecat
01-25-04, 02:56 PM
Ahh...stuck with the Promise card then. Elsewhere in your BIOS, any options to say wether to boot from "other", or "SCSI" that you can turn off?

Hmmm..perhaps switch it out with a CD on IDE2....have it as slave, and just slap that CD on the Promise controller.

You added this zip to an already existing Windows installation, or have it in there when running Windows Setup? I've seen some issues with internal zip drives installed when running Windows setup, I always leave it disconnected, connect it once Windows is up and running after a few reboots.

I also never use Iomega's software, since Windows 95, ATAPI zip drives run fine with Windows own built in drivers. Where to cancel out eject on power down...dunno, just looked on mine, I have an old 100 meg internal, I don't see any toggle switch for that.

So try swap it with the slaved CD-rom.