PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard failure - Can't boot system

Partial
12-01-03, 04:03 PM
When I boot my machine, I get a long beep. If I pull out the keyboard, it won't bootup due to keyboard failure. Im sure I have the option to halt on all errors in the BIOS. But I can't get into the BIOS without a keyboard at this point. USB keyboard is no good either.

It seems like my keyboard PS/2 shorted out. After it boots up, if I plug in a keyboard it immediately starts beeping.

I don't want to lose a motherboard over a bad PS2 port! Any ideas?

Easto
12-01-03, 04:15 PM
Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Partial
12-01-03, 04:19 PM
yeah, sorry. I should have mentioned that. I tried a few times with no luck.

Im also getting the message everytime - "CMOS checksum - Defaults loaded."

YARDofSTUF
12-01-03, 04:24 PM
have you tried a different PS2 keyboard?

Partial
12-01-03, 04:26 PM
I tried three PS2 kb's and a USB one..Has anyone every removed the kb/mouse PS2 socket and replaced it?

TrevGlas
12-01-03, 04:28 PM
I dont think its the keyboard...especially when you've tried three different keyboards... you said when you removed the keyboard you get the keyboard error. What happens when you leave it plugged in.

YARDofSTUF
12-01-03, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by TrevGlas
I dont think its the keyboard...especially when you've tried three different keyboards... you said when you removed the keyboard you get the keyboard error. What happens when you leave it plugged in.

He said he just gets a long beep.

Dude, it sounds liek you might be pretty much out of luck.

I would email your Motherboard Manufacturer about this.

The Dude
12-02-03, 10:41 AM
Sounds like your PS2 port on the mobo is blown. If you were unplugging and plugging in the keyboard with the power on it's almost guarantied. For a USB keyboard to work from DOS and at the bootscreen legacy support has to be enabled in the BIOS. That's how it works on my system. I had to put my ps2 keyboard back on so I could get into my BIOS. After I enabled the USB keyboard support I was all set. Have you tried the USB keyboard since you reset the CMOS. I would think that it should default to enabled.

YARDofSTUF
12-02-03, 04:29 PM
Damn sounds like a bad deal if you can't get a usb one to work.

Massa
12-02-03, 10:49 PM
Your BIOS could be fubar .. that sounds like a bad flash or just corruption of some kind. What kind of mobo is it?

bamf
09-09-04, 01:32 AM
I purchase a p4p800 deluxe m/board some 12 months ago it worked fine for about 2 months then suddenly keep comeing up with Keyboard Failure.
Plug either a usb or ps2 keyboard into the sockets the keyboard just beeps and the keyboard light flash on and off the error keyboard failure.
Has anyone had luck finding the fault or repairing the m/board i would like to know

Cheers :confused:

YeOldeStonecat
09-09-04, 05:47 AM
I tried three PS2 kb's and a USB one..Has anyone every removed the kb/mouse PS2 socket and replaced it?

No but there's a small fuse right next to the PS/2 port, on the motherboard, which is supposed to keep surges from hitting the mobo from the PS/2 device when unknowingly hot swapped (as most desktop motherboards really don't support hot swapping PS/2 devices, only some server grade motherboards do). Once a few years ago we soldered a bypass onto that, because we were in a pinch on an oddball situation, resulting in this "ghetto fix".

spyder003
09-09-04, 11:07 AM
Have you checked your mobo manual to see what the long beep means? That would probably be the first place to start. You're just getting the checksum error from when you cleared the CMOS. That's just telling you to check your BIOS settings, but since you can't get in that doesn't do you much good. What mobo is it?

bamf
09-10-04, 01:38 AM
I checked the fuse near the ps2 port using a mulimeter it seemed ok
I maybe worth a try changeing the fuse other wise i/o chip faulty.
if anyone else has any ideas that would be great :2cool:

Norm
09-10-04, 03:37 PM
Just for kicks, check to make sure you plugged into the keyboard port, and not the mouse port.

Subsane
09-10-04, 10:08 PM
Is the RAM ok? Seen faulty and/or incompatable RAM do soom wierd things...

bamf
09-11-04, 05:48 AM
Yes the keyboard is plugged into the keyboard socket!!! :rolleyes:

bamf
09-11-04, 05:49 AM
Ram has been test on another p4p800 m/board and it tests ok!!!
:2cool: