PDA

View Full Version : would this be good memory to buy?

pimptrizkit
11-30-03, 02:40 AM
http://www.ocsystem.com/ocsystem/ocx251trpcdd2.html

this is what im lookin at right now
i need some tips to buying memory and what to look for i dont want to spend more then 90 bucks but want the best i can get :p

want dual channel pc3200 2x256 atleast.

how does this stuff look instead cas 2 pc3200 matched ddr2 set (http://www.ocsystem.com/ocsystem/ocx251pcddma.html)

Faust
11-30-03, 02:54 AM
this is my take on buying system memory...

- is it from a mfgr with a good reputation?

- are you buying it from a retailer you trust, in case you need to return it?

- does it have a good warrantee (from the retailer or the mfgr)?

this is after you have found the memory with the needed/desired specs.

in my experience, memory is one of the few components where it would be prudent to spend a few extra dollars for something with a good reputation/good warrantee. not saying you should break the bank on the memory..... just steer clear from generic memory. and if you are willing to take a chance on saving a few dollars, then at least buy it from a retailer with a reputation for good warrantee/customer support.

if i were in your shoes (hope you wear a size 14), i wouldn;t buy it from the link posted. i have never heard of the retailer, and it's unbranded (generic) memory. you're basically rolling the dice, and i like a little piece of mind with my purchases.

YARDofSTUF
11-30-03, 03:25 AM
Ok, you want to OC or will at some point right?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=manufactory&catalog=147&manufactory=1687&description=Geil,Ultra,Series,184,Pin,256MB,DDR,PC-3200,GL2563200U&order=Description

Thats the best price I have seen for something that will fit your needs, and also be reliable.

Faust is speaking some good advice too!

pimptrizkit
11-30-03, 03:46 AM
i belive so .. thats why i came to speedguide to get advise..

i do plan to over clock the board in the futre probaly right after it's broke in and the paste has setteled .. just to see what it can do. then i would put it back to normal then i will wait a few months and push it to the highest stable conditions and keep it thier.

i have found 2 reviews on the hsf i want
review 1 from over clockers cafe (http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/cooling/Tt_Volcano12/)

and the second review from a1 electronics.net (http://www.a1-electronics.net/Heatsinks/2003/Thermtake_Volcano12_Oct03.shtml)

does this look liek a good fan for futre over clocking?

i will talk to my parents about the geil memory it's a lil out of what they want to spend but if it will make a good diference and be a more stable and reliable system i will beg :-p

it's always x-mass to they must give in.
i hope.

YARDofSTUF
11-30-03, 04:47 AM
I like the Volcano line. Looks likea solid cooler.

YARDofSTUF
11-30-03, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by pimptrizkit
i will talk to my parents about the geil memory it's a lil out of what they want to spend but if it will make a good diference and be a more stable and reliable system i will beg :-p

it's always x-mass to they must give in.
i hope.

Tell them its like insurance, cuz if they got you the generic stuff odds are it would crap out or god knows what.

OR, you could get 1 256 meg stick and upgrade to 512 later. 256 is kinda low, but you can survive with it.

pimptrizkit
11-30-03, 04:52 AM
what is the posisble of gettin one stick now and then getitn another stick in a month or so to do the dual channel.. i think they will like that better

who knows if i find better memory for cheaper after i finish this board i could always give the memory to my brother that im lookin into now and get the better stuff :p

even tho his ecs k75sa wont support more then pc2100 i belive. it just slows down the potentail of the pc3200.. so it sounds like he will be the next for a mobo upgrade.

Brk
11-30-03, 09:53 AM
If you're only going to overclock just to "see what it can do," then throttle it back to default speeds, there's no reason to spend a lot on memory, I'd say just get some Crucial PC3200 and enjoy the reliability.

YARDofSTUF
11-30-03, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Burke
If you're only going to overclock just to "see what it can do," then throttle it back to default speeds, there's no reason to spend a lot on memory, I'd say just get some Crucial PC3200 and enjoy the reliability.

For about the same price as teh crucial he can get the Geil, plus the crucial is cas3 vs. the geil being cas2 or 2.5.

PlLUS, he ain't gonna go back down, this is the beginning of a new addict here! :)

TrevGlas
11-30-03, 01:24 PM
Geil is very good RAM - read the reviews vs. Corsair, etc.

I've got some PC3500 hand picked CAS 2 2-3-3-6 timed.

pimptrizkit
11-30-03, 02:28 PM
i plan to go back to stock settins for awhile then run the board back up and keep it thier.

being if i fried some thing right out of the box my parents would shoot me.

so i have to give it some time before i start to tweak with it and decide i need more money to spend cuase some thing isn't up to par ./or is slowong me down.

Cypher
11-30-03, 04:29 PM
I thought AMD's did'nt like Geil.:confused: I would grab some Mushkin Black II with super tight timings 2-2-2-t1:D .

extreme
11-30-03, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by cyPHer_138
I thought AMD's did'nt like Geil.:confused: I would grab some Mushkin Black II with super tight timings 2-2-2-t1:D .

:nod:

YARDofSTUF
11-30-03, 04:59 PM
From what I have read the NF7 runs it stable. I have heard of issues with Asus, Gigabyte, Epox, MSI, Shuttle, and tyan. But not Abit, ECS, Soyo. At least nothign big enough to hit smudge google.

TrevGlas
11-30-03, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by cyPHer_138

I've never heard that anywhere

:confused: :confused:

pimptrizkit
11-30-03, 10:13 PM
well right now i belive were going to get a stick of geil 256 ddr400 the stuff in the link that was posted .

haven't bought it yet still gotta wait a week till friday.

and i figured i would get another stick at a later date.

to enable dual channel ddr dont you have to have :
2 sticks of ddr 400fsb
must be the same size ? (like 2x256)
same brand
same memory timmings?

is their any other thing i should know. cuz i plan to by the same 2 sticks but for future refence i would liek to kno :p

TrevGlas
11-30-03, 10:32 PM
THe fSB/timings have to be the same on both. I'm not sure about the brand, but some brand's arent capable of the lower timings.