PDA

View Full Version : Is this voltage and temp ok for years of use?

Brent
11-30-03, 12:42 AM
2.6C @ 3.12Ghz (240FSB, 1.65v) Air Cooled with Intel Stock HSF, Using Artic Silver and very good case airflow.

Temp at Full Load 67.5c

Do you think that voltage and temp is ok?

Or should I drop it to like 235FSB for 3.055Ghz @ 1.6v which pulls in 62.5c at full load.

Joel
11-30-03, 01:34 AM
Dang!

67.5C?!

That's crazy. The Athlon Dies at 70C, I wouldn't leave it that high. No way.

Atleast get lots of case fans:rolleyes:

:p

Brent
11-30-03, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by sludge
Dang!

67.5C?!

That's crazy. The Athlon Dies at 70C, I wouldn't leave it that high. No way.

Atleast get lots of case fans:rolleyes:

:p

P4's can run hotter than Athlons and still be ok, they are tough chips, I don't think that temp is to fantastic really. I think the lower 60's C is the target point though. Obviously having it at the higher voltage and temp reduces its life though, and this one needs to have a life of a few years, so thats what I was questioning.

There are 5 case fans in the case, two intake on the front, an intake on the side panel blowing directly onto the mobo, and two exhaust in the back, and of course the PSU exhaust at the very top.

YARDofSTUF
11-30-03, 04:27 AM
I would take the summer heat into considerationa nd drop it to 1.6 and let it run at whatever clockrate is stable there, just to give it some more breathing room for those 100+ days.

Brent
11-30-03, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
I would take the summer heat into considerationa nd drop it to 1.6 and let it run at whatever clockrate is stable there, just to give it some more breathing room for those 100+ days.

i was thinking about this as well

btw this is my step-brothers pc so I won't be around to keep an eye on it

I think i'll go the safer route ;)

pimptrizkit
11-30-03, 05:32 AM
what would be a safe temp and vcore for a amd barton 2500+?

YARDofSTUF
11-30-03, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by pimptrizkit
what would be a safe temp and vcore for a amd barton 2500+?

Keep the temp under 55C, don't go above 1.85 volts.

pimptrizkit
11-30-03, 05:42 AM
thank you

YARDofSTUF
11-30-03, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Brent
i was thinking about this as well

btw this is my step-brothers pc so I won't be around to keep an eye on it

I think i'll go the safer route ;)

Ya, I remebered you talking about this before. I can hit 3.12@1.6v. Have you relaxed the memory timings and addjusted the ratio?

SLK
11-30-03, 09:49 AM
Umm, have you ever had an Athlon run at 115c stable??? I had.

YARDofSTUF
11-30-03, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Rob P
Umm, have you ever had an Athlon run at 115c stable??? I had.

I'd have to say thats rather impossible.

115F yes, 115C, no!

lansens
11-30-03, 10:59 AM
Brent, that temp does not sound right. I have a 2.4c @ 3.0 with stock voltage. I use a TT Sparkle for cooling and my full load temps never get above 50c. Ambient temp is around 32c to 38c. I would definitely try to figure out why that temp is so high.

A_old
11-30-03, 04:42 PM
temp is fine brent..u won't have issues. remember the p4 will throttle itself if there are temp issues too :)

Brent
11-30-03, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Amro
temp is fine brent..u won't have issues. remember the p4 will throttle itself if there are temp issues too :)

I decided to get a better HSF for it anyways, the CPU has to last a few years, and I want his PC to be fast, yet stable and last long.

I also thought about the heat we'll have in the summer time, since I won't be around to keep an eye on the temps of the CPU I thought it better to just get a better HSF.

Testing it right now to see the new temps......

A_old
11-30-03, 05:04 PM
a hsf upg is never a bad idea.. what'd you get? slk947u?

Brent
11-30-03, 05:48 PM
Awesome, 56C now at full load 13x235 1.6v

I'm goin for 13x240 at 1.65v now, see what the temp is

YARDofSTUF
11-30-03, 06:02 PM
What HSF are you using?

extreme
11-30-03, 06:11 PM
Air Cooled with Intel Stock HSF,

:)

Brent
11-30-03, 06:15 PM
What HSF are you using?

Vantec CCK-7025

YeOldeStonecat
11-30-03, 06:21 PM
Your temp is a bit high...although yes Intels can run at much higher specs, I believe even Intel says fine up to 75 sustained.

Anyways...your temp is a bit high. I'm running the same 2.6, stock Intel HSF, running 20% OC so same exact 3.12 as you. Not bumping voltage at all...default voltage. And believe it or not on this HSF I never got around to scraping off the thermal pad, and applying any grease. On the hot summer days around here she'd occasionally bump into the low 50's under full sustained load, usually high 40's.

What is your room temperature?

Intels stock HSF do a great job. To be honest with you, that stock thermal pad does also...just don't remove it, if you do, either replace with a brand new one, or with grease. Thermal pads are one shot deals.

Brent
11-30-03, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Your temp is a bit high...although yes Intels can run at much higher specs, I believe even Intel says fine up to 75 sustained.

Anyways...your temp is a bit high. I'm running the same 2.6, stock Intel HSF, running 20% OC so same exact 3.12 as you. Not bumping voltage at all...default voltage. And believe it or not on this HSF I never got around to scraping off the thermal pad, and applying any grease. On the hot summer days around here she'd occasionally bump into the low 50's under full sustained load, usually high 40's.

What is your room temperature?

Intels stock HSF do a great job. To be honest with you, that stock thermal pad does also...just don't remove it, if you do, either replace with a brand new one, or with grease. Thermal pads are one shot deals.

Your temps sound to low to me

I don't know why but this CPU won't run very high at stock voltage, I have to overvolt to get any decent overclocks on it. It is only stable at 3.12Ghz at 1.65v.

I'm getting better temps with the new Vantec HSF I put on there now, but they are still like 64c at 3.12Ghz 1.65v Full Load. You think thats just to high for years of use?

The system temp is 32c and the ambient room temp is currently 76.8F.

I'm using artic silver thermal compound, and I have sanded the bottom of the HSF smooth.

Jeremy
11-30-03, 08:10 PM
do some boards have a max temp? mine is acting all weird. i set mien to max 70c in the bios, and the highest i've ever gone is 48. it also does something weird and lower voltage to 1.49 whenever there is a high load. is it supposed to do that? it's not helping me in overclocking.

http://stratusstudios.hopto.org/http/temps.png

ghost
11-30-03, 08:12 PM
Brent,

I'm OC'ing a P2.4c @ 3.0GHz with a room temp of 76*F and the CPU has been at 100% for like a month continuously and the CPU temp is 41*C. That's as hot as it's gotten too, very stable. Here is the HS/F combo I'm using to do it:

http://www.neutronexpress.com/prod.cfm/210571/COOLER_MASTER/IHC-H71/COPPER_BASED_DUAL_HEAT_COOLER_CPU_478_PENTIUM

Awesome unit, highly recommended. The cooler the better, you should be in the 40's no problem with the right hardware. Here's my thread at Extreme Overclocking:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67440&highlight=cooler+master

Brent
11-30-03, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by ghost
Brent,

I'm OC'ing a P2.4c @ 3.0GHz with a room temp of 76*F and the CPU has been at 100% for like a month continuously and the CPU temp is 41*C. That's as hot as it's gotten too, very stable. Here is the HS/F combo I'm using to do it:

http://www.neutronexpress.com/prod.cfm/210571/COOLER_MASTER/IHC-H71/COPPER_BASED_DUAL_HEAT_COOLER_CPU_478_PENTIUM

Awesome unit, highly recommended. The cooler the better, you should be in the 40's no problem with the right hardware. Here's my thread at Extreme Overclocking:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67440&highlight=cooler+master

Thanks for those links, I have used that cooler master heatpipe HSF before, in fact its sitting on my shelf right now hehe.

I dunno, the thing is stable though, i've been running 4 different burnin-in applications for the last few days. I've ran Prime95 for 12 hours straight WITH Cpu Burn-In running 2 instances, so i've been pushing it pretty hard, and its solid as a rock.

Just wanted to say thanks everyone for the help.

I'm gonna put it at 13x235 at 1.6v and leave it at that.

pimptrizkit
11-30-03, 11:18 PM
what are some good burn in programs and how long should i let them run?
i haven't ever done this to a computer yet. and from the sounds of it, it shoudl run more stable right? and have more through put?

ghost
12-01-03, 12:01 AM
Thanks for those links, I have used that cooler master heatpipe HSF before, in fact its sitting on my shelf right now hehe.

Sell?

TrevGlas
12-01-03, 05:32 PM
Wow 65 degrees celcius? Anything over 50 scares me....

I thought my 42-43c at full load was high.. jesus/

Brent
12-01-03, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by TrevGlas
Wow 65 degrees celcius? Anything over 50 scares me....

I thought my 42-43c at full load was high.. jesus/

have some pudding

YARDofSTUF
12-01-03, 05:46 PM
Too much hotter and it will be P4 pudding.

YeOldeStonecat
12-01-03, 05:51 PM
Your temps sound to low to me

"Too low" would be correct.

Dave's World built an identicle rig same weekend I did, same temps as me, he didn't use the thermal pad, he used AS. Two weeks later I built another rig for someone for a LAN party...same rig as mine...same temps at same settings and same speeds.

My house is not air conditioned, actually heat is on since it's getting cold up here outside. Matter of fact, here's a screenshot taken just as I'm writing this..you can see in Task Manager both CPU's have been cranking full time for an appriciable amount of time...running Folding, and she's 49 degrees!

Here's a screenshot to dispel bluff beliefs:
http://www.speedguide.net/~brian/cputemp.JPG

YARDofSTUF
12-01-03, 05:58 PM
Whats your vcore at StoneCat?

YeOldeStonecat
12-01-03, 06:53 PM
Whats your vcore at StoneCat?

Take a peek at my above pic! And in my post up above..."Not bumping voltage at all"

YARDofSTUF
12-01-03, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
Take a peek at my above pic! And in my post up above..."Not bumping voltage at all"

Opps i read well.

well that explains why yours is so cool then.

TrevGlas
12-01-03, 08:21 PM
have some pudding

Hey I'm just saying those are high.