PDA

View Full Version : S-Video Probs

BaLa
11-26-03, 06:43 PM
A friend of mine has a laptop..

A Dell Latitude CPX
it has SVideo Out....
not exactly sure....I can find out if neccessary...

the SVideo will work for about 5mins while it's going into windows...then it stops working completely...
dunno what else to say....this makes no sense either...
drivers look ok...no hardware conflicts....

any ideas on that?

TIA...
TC......

pimptrizkit
11-27-03, 12:41 AM
i have never been able to get an s-video to work on any of my machines it's weird.

Chrome
11-27-03, 11:09 PM
Taking a guess here, but its how I have to enable it with a Radeon. Make sure your s-video source is hooked up and ready to accept an s-video signal,(on and switched to svideo input).

Right click descktop, left click settings, left click advanced, left click displays. This should bring up a gui to select and activate an svideo out, provided its connected to an svideo capable device that is active. More than likely, your friend will have to do this every time after he boots up without his laptop connected to an active svideo device.

Edit

Forgot to add, this may also be dependant on what res hes is currently using. If its to high he may still see nothing, but may instead need to reduce his res to 1024x768,800x600 or 640x480.

2nd edit. You may need to turn your svideo display on and off, or switch between rca and back to svideo after you enable it. My tv already has and svideo input active through my vcr most of the time, before I switch, that's why I forgot to add.

BaLa
11-28-03, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Chrome
Taking a guess here, but its how I have to enable it with a Radeon. Make sure your s-video source is hooked up and ready to accept an s-video signal,(on and switched to svideo input).

Right click descktop, left click settings, left click advanced, left click displays. This should bring up a gui to select and activate an svideo out, provided its connected to an svideo capable device that is active. More than likely, your friend will have to do this every time after he boots up without his laptop connected to an active svideo device.

Edit

Forgot to add, this may also be dependant on what res hes is currently using. If its to high he may still see nothing, but may instead need to reduce his res to 1024x768,800x600 or 640x480.

2nd edit. You may need to turn your svideo display on and off, or switch between rca and back to svideo after you enable it. My tv already has and svideo input active through my vcr most of the time, before I switch, that's why I forgot to add.

we plugged the laptop in while it was still off..
I believe the Native Resolution for the LCD is 1024x768, which is what it was set at...when I was playing with it..I thought setting the res. to 800x600 would fix it, It did not...

BaLa
01-25-04, 01:10 AM
update......

updated drivers...

also tried it on a different TV, it NOW WORKS...
but it's only in B+W on the TV?...

any ideas?..

pimptrizkit
01-25-04, 02:45 AM
alright i got mine to work
i have a rca tv and a radeon 8500le

i had machine off and tv off pluged them in
turned them on and b4 windows finished booting i changed the channel to 00

and BOOM it poped up

seems like xp supports this

and the rez sucked but it was kewl to kno it worked.

you need a remote to get to channel 00 tho.
and i dont kno why it was only b+w for you

Chrome
01-25-04, 03:27 AM
It kind of sounds like you may be dealing with a hardware problem now, although software can't be completely eliminated

S-video bascially splits up the video signal into what are called chroma and luminance. Chroma is color and luminance is brightness and the basic pixel info(what goes where). I believe the theory is that by splitting up the color info and and the pixel info that you will get a cleaner signal, along with having higher bandwidth for the pixel info that will allow a higher resolution. If I'm not mistaken s-video has a higher resolution because of this.

I figure there are 3 possible problems:

1)Your cable is bad. This may be on the one of the connectors on the cable, or you may have a broken wire in the cable. One of the pins in the connectors may also be bent or broken off. Make sure that both connectors have 4 pins arranged in a trapezoidial shape. I think this is the most likely problem. If you are getting a black and white picture, you are getting the Luminance signal but not the chroma signal. Also look at the cable itself for crimps, this would possibly be inicative of a broken wire in the cable. I have run into bad cable whee a conductor is broken and causes this

2)One of the connectors on the tv or laptop may have cold solder joints to their respective circuit board mount or may have been completely broken.Cold solder joints look like a kind of fine crystalline composite, as opposed to a smooth bubble of metal

A few notes about these first two possibilities:

The best way to diagnose these two possibilities is two things. Try another cable first. I'd suggest buying a cable that you can easily return, or better yet, beg, borrow or steal one.If that doesn't work, first jiggle the connectors one at a time while holding the cable itself an 3 or 4 cm, or an inch or so, from the end of the cable. If your picture varies significantly at either point when you do this, either losing all picture or getting sporadic color, or if your display blanks out and you see random small bars of color, then it is likely that one of the respective connectors that you are jiggling is bad. Pay particular attention if the connector in your tv or laptop appears loose.If you can't get another cable grab the cable in the middle and kind of flop it around, If you see picture fluctuations when you do this, the cable likely has a bad wire.

If these actions affect your picture then its likely your cable or one of the connectors the cable plugs into. The cable is the easiest thing to try, if its not the cable, then you will need to inspect the tv and laptop connectors, which will require disassembly. Before you take anything apart, I would suggest that you look at the third possible problem, which is:

3)Software settings. You may need to select in your video options your tv as your primary display or something else. Play with it after you eliminate conection problems that don't require dissasembly.

One last thing, make sure you try out any connection problems and software before you try taking apart your tv or laptop. My gut feeling is that its your cable, I've run into that a few times. Hope this helps